PDA

View Full Version : gay question about turbo 'flutter'

PeterT
24-11-09, 02:38
suuuup. totaly pointless thread but i want to find the damn answer!

basicaly, i want to make more noises and have more fluttering! :D ive no dumpvalve,a fmic, an air filter and an aluminium pipe from turbo to filter.

ive been looking into it a while, and it all seems to depend on pipe lenghths/thickness etc

even before i put on my fake screamer pipe yoke it made feck all noise, but these nz boys are getting mega cool noises! how?! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adizt4ZXwrA

thegosson
24-11-09, 02:48
what induction kit/ air filter are you using?

gem-s13
24-11-09, 03:27
iv told u pete take off the elbo and lil bit more boost it will sound better to when u do the fecking gaskets!!!

s13-ste
24-11-09, 03:54
surely its bad for the turbo tho???

ernie s14
24-11-09, 05:40
alot of people say its bad for the turbo,that it spins the turbo backwards...it just releases the turbo pressure threw the air filter

eileen
24-11-09, 08:55
THAT. SOUNDS. GAY...

well, i dont know what exactly kav runs on the liner apart from filter, fmic and bov but it sounds absolutely amazing! ask him to record it. to me thats as close to "fluttering" as you'll get LOL

Fredericks Balls
24-11-09, 09:07
Some twonk i work with got this for his Honda Accord and swears by it, now he gets savage turbo "flutter"

http://www.turbonator.co.uk/

:rolleyes:

:D:p

ste
24-11-09, 09:56
thats too much IMO reminds me of the dump valve lads put on diesels

rancido64
24-11-09, 10:04
Some twonk i work with got this for his Honda Accord and swears by it, now he gets savage turbo "flutter"

:rolleyes:

:D:p

It's only £20, might buy one and do a review to post on the sites (i would think to just complain about it and slag them)

way2fastforu
24-11-09, 10:04

hahahahahahaha 55hp from that yoke:D....ur man must be some twonk alrite:p
ppl will believe anythin these days:rolleyes:

Tekno Twinky
24-11-09, 10:34
Quote me on this if you like but gay is where its at :o because anything goes! so long as it WORKS or is WORKING be free my childeren be fereeeeeeeeee hold no limits freck the mainstream :)

Fredericks Balls
24-11-09, 10:50
hahahahahahaha 55hp from that yoke:D....ur man must be some twonk alrite:p
ppl will believe anythin these days:rolleyes:

Yea, my mate was saying jasus you can feel the difference, now it actually feels like it has VTEC (its a non vtec) hahaha

We need the smashy hammer smiley!!

andy t
24-11-09, 10:57
ive it dine on da 14.....just block off the pipes going to da standard dump valve...
it will then let it out through the air filter
(works better with a cone type...not the sponge type)

wwhhooodddoooddooddoodo < something like that..ha......

Stevo
24-11-09, 11:29
Buy a blitz mesh filter pete, my yolk had a great flutter from it, the chap that bought it said the same thing:)

nissan_doctor
24-11-09, 12:10
An RB will never be as loud as SR's because the ic piping is much longer.
If you get a plazmaman front feed inlet plenium you'll get a loud flutter but it will also cost you nearly a grand!:eek:

Also the more boost you run the louder the flutter will be.

PeterT
24-11-09, 13:34
cheers guys and girls! as to it killing the turbo, pffft. the cefiro rb never even came with a recirc dump valve, same with ca's sure.

the mesh and sponge one is interesting, i have a sponge one on mine, which indeed started to disintigrate when it got a quick wash, must try a mesh one on it!

ive got odd boost habbits in the car ,so think ill not up it anymore on the ceramic.

thank chappies ill try the filter change and see what happens!

shodododod

Greg
24-11-09, 14:21
wwhhooodddoooddooddoodo

Best descripion of a noise ever. PMSL! :D

bnollie
24-11-09, 18:42
that sound on the 32 sounded shit. Mine made that noise too i put in a bov. dnt think it can be good for the turbo still a bit of it fluttering before the bov releases tho.

PeterT
24-11-09, 19:55
that sound on the 32 sounded shit. Mine made that noise too i put in a bov. dnt think it can be good for the turbo still a bit of it fluttering before the bov releases tho.

Would never put a bov on it,there too glanza for me personaly! Dnt mistake me it does flutter nice,just wondering why some other standardish rb's are so loud!

Ps there isnt even a place for a bov on the rb's that came in cefiros

Frankae86
24-11-09, 20:20
I had the sound your on about on an old 180, but with an rb the ssqv dump valve sounds cool i reckon.

bnollie
24-11-09, 21:10
Would never put a bov on it,there too glanza for me personaly! Dnt mistake me it does flutter nice,just wondering why some other standardish rb's are so loud!

Ps there isnt even a place for a bov on the rb's that came in cefiros

ya i no they dont sound great but if it helps wear on the turbo. The flutter in the videos sounds shit tho. they could have bigger turbos fitted causing bigger boost pressure which will be louder. also what kind of air filter have you fitted?

thegosson
24-11-09, 21:49
put on an apexi induction kit and bobs be your uncle

Administrator
24-11-09, 21:57
I think it sounds hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpLMkZjdo1U&feature=related

Most SRs sound nice with a bit of flutthhherrrr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUbo_mNDZM

cork kouki
24-11-09, 22:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUbo_mNDZM

My yolk sounds like this :D
Is it actually a bad idea to have no dump valve (recirc or aftermarket jobbie):confused:

nissan_doctor
24-11-09, 23:41
My yolk sounds like this :D
Is it actually a bad idea to have no dump valve (recirc or aftermarket jobbie):confused:

In what way?

Nissan didn't fit one to some models of 180sx from the factory.

The vast majority of people with sr's remove them with no bad effects and I know serveral people including myself who have run without one on an rb without issue for long periods of time.

cork kouki
24-11-09, 23:48
In what way?

Nissan didn't fit one to some models of 180sx from the factory.

The vast majority of people with sr's remove them with no bad effects and I know serveral people including myself who have run without one on an rb without issue for long periods of time.

Oh right iv just heard from some poeple thats its supposed to be bad for the turbo:confused: dont know why:rolleyes:
Just woundering since the standard one was taken out of my car before i got it.
But i suppose it cant be bad if nissan dont bother on sr's in some models

PeterT
24-11-09, 23:51
ya i no they dont sound great but if it helps wear on the turbo. The flutter in the videos sounds shit tho. they could have bigger turbos fitted causing bigger boost pressure which will be louder. also what kind of air filter have you fitted?

that flutter sounds deadly i think! better than any chavalistic dumpvalve imo! :D

its got some trust mushroom jobby with a sponge element

cork kouki
24-11-09, 23:57
that flutter sounds deadly i think! better than any chavalistic dumpvalve imo! :D

+1:D dump valve = fail imo

will_c
25-11-09, 08:47
i looked into this before for my old s13,gem and nissandoctor are dead right!flutter volume depends on length of ic pipework,how much boost and what kind of air filter you use.what kind of hard induction pipe your using can have an effect too with pipe lengths and shit!as for running no bov being harmful for your turbo,unless your running a turbo that produces massive airflow maybe on an engine producing circa 450bhp plus,its gonna be fine.that said,some engines have been seen to push out quite a bit more than that and no negative effects..that said it brings up the other question of the effects of a bov on lag,i never noticed any difference on mine really..but i did notice the difference in overfuelling on the overrun..which meant big flame time!

Still,id rather be going down the road sounding like a pigeon than a starlet =)

nissan_doctor
25-11-09, 09:55
As above. running a high boost road car without a dump valve can cause issues like turbo stall(the much higher pressure goes back through the turbo and actually stops the blades spinning suddenly, leading to damage over time) and even issues keeping the pipes sealed.

Where it really came from was with drag racing, if your car has a gearbox/ecu which allows flat shifting then there is no need for a dump valve as there is no reduction in revs when changing up and therefor no pressure to be released.

As I said I ran my R32 without one(standard turbo) and on track or any situation where there happened to be someone driving quickly beside me;) it was really noticable when quick shifting as there was no lag at all when I changed up to the next gear.

bnollie
25-11-09, 17:29

its got some trust mushroom jobby with a sponge element

ya it does sound deadly. mine still does it even tho i have a bov. ill just probably take it off whats the point having it if its not dumping all the presure. i bought a hks induction kit for my gt4 it echoed the sound off the turbo really good. They aint to expensive either.

insejn
25-11-09, 22:54
mine does that but im still on a standard air box + apexi panel filter, gotta get the blitz filter in , then it would be even more loud :>

and btw, im on the same peter, bov's are for glanzaboyz :>
i love the surge sound !

lukeworx
30-12-09, 14:35
bit off topic but here goes
recently fitted owens development gt28r on s14 sr
the wastegate chatter is amazing (no dump valve) & hks suction kit
used to have hks gtrs & was no where near as loud both with & without hks bov,
anyway now on the new turbo i can constantly here the feint sound of the wastegate all the time comming up through the air filter when the car idle's?
now im confinced theres an air leak but cant find it & the dude that fitted reckons all owens turbos do it cos a s15 he did (simliar turbo) does it too?
has anybody heard of a similar issue or have experience with owens turbos??

PeterT
31-12-09, 01:47
first of all, the waste gate makes no noises, ever, on any car. what yor hearing is air coming back through the spinning turbo and making a ssssshhhhuuuu tu tu tu tu tu noise!

ive had no experience with turbos making these noises on idle though? maybe post a video of it

way2fastforu
31-12-09, 12:50
sr flutter = man spec flutter:D

greenmachine
12-01-10, 15:24
have the new hks bov on my yoke and the screw tight enough on it.. serious flutter.. when screw is loose, the bov sounds like a giant with a 50foot whip giving it a large smash on the ground

jdmjimmy
17-01-10, 13:27
bit off topic but here goes
anyway now on the new turbo i can constantly here the feint sound of the wastegate all the time comming up through the air filter when the car idle's?
now im confinced theres an air leak but cant find it & the dude that fitted reckons all owens turbos do it cos a s15 he did (simliar turbo) does it too?
has anybody heard of a similar issue or have experience with owens turbos??

what kinda shite is that wastegate chatter sounds like something jeremy clarkson would come out with driving the lemon r33 gtr :rolleyes:... isnt the gt28 just a better flow version of t28 something with center housings??

grimix180
17-01-10, 22:00
[QUOTE=lukeworx;54183]bit off topic but here goes
i ran that turbo with a hks bov at 1.3 bar boost and there was a savage chatter b4 the bov blew off turbo shat itself in no time tho

Dozzler
23-08-11, 22:08
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZkAcXCZPiGXDv7fplyPSe4L5xHmwZ5 vVai5ZHhiLbZKAyjH8r

Any recommendations for a flutter on a 1jz the same as the sr above? Have a big fuck off intercooler, standard turbos, standard boost, 3inch i/c pipes about 2ft long each and a hks mushroom filter.??

Greg
24-08-11, 00:23
I took the bov off mine and it does flutter but its not overly loud, I'll get a video someday when I am off.

Chuck_g
24-08-11, 00:32
Isnt turbo flutter bad for standard jz turbo's as they are ceramic?

Greg
24-08-11, 00:46
Mine has survived like that for freaking agggeeesssssss. Don't know how the JZX90 tt's stand up to it though.

NIALL JZX
24-08-11, 09:01
same here , mine is grand with the last 18 months or that anyway without any hassle ..

it is savage loud :)

have u a decat in yours andrew ? they will automatically run higher boost if u have a decat ..

is there recirc system thing on the twin setup..?

@greg have u the recirc pluged out ? wat filter have u ? it should be loud ...

Eddie
24-08-11, 09:18
Double post :-/

Eddie
24-08-11, 09:19
I think it sounds hilarious

skyline new dose - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpLMkZjdo1U&feature=related)

Most SRs sound nice with a bit of flutthhherrrr

SR20DET Compressor Surge - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUbo_mNDZM)

The first video is a DODE PIPE, or dosing. Think the ozzies came up with. You have to move the air flow meter somewhere and put a pipe with a filter onto the turbo

And then the second one is just a flutter.

Greg
24-08-11, 16:26

I don't know, I presume so because it was always running a dump valve before, and the car cuts out the odd time coming up to a junction which is what happens when you disconnect the recirc valve. It's a HPi filter one I think. How loud is loud? :)

S14a johno
24-08-11, 16:40
hmmmmmmmmmmm is this not becasue air is being push back out of the air filter?? secondly, always though it could damage your turbo ..............

drift student
24-08-11, 17:11
i used to run my t25 like this..... after a bit the turbo was no more:)

S14a johno
24-08-11, 17:23
i used to run my t25 like this..... after a bit the turbo was no more:)

how long it last?

drift student
24-08-11, 17:30
4k miles ish........

S14a johno
24-08-11, 18:02
4k miles ish........

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
did ya have a BOV ? or
feck that was short time :eek::eek:

drift student
24-08-11, 18:34
ah sure the turbo was 16years old...... no bov.

will_c
25-08-11, 01:18
I don't know, I presume so because it was always running a dump valve before, and the car cuts out the odd time coming up to a junction which is what happens when you disconnect the recirc valve. It's a HPi filter one I think. How loud is loud? :)

If your car is cutting out coming up to a junction sometimes, it means an air leak somewhere on those systems.. worth double checking everything dude ;)

FOR THE RECORD

Removing your dumpvalve/recirc valve/BOV/whatever will NOT have a negative effect on MOST turbos. Anything like T4 sized or less will be fine, the issues only come into play on bigger turbos where the blades are more susceptible to shear forces, whereas on smaller turbos the blades simply do not have enough surface area to get damaged.. This is fact peeps, end of :)

Greg
25-08-11, 06:17
If your car is cutting out coming up to a junction sometimes, it means an air leak somewhere on those systems.. worth double checking everything
That kind of makes sense and I'll explain why once I get to a laptop. Fuck typing it out on my phone.

NIALL JZX
25-08-11, 08:57

must be aleak yeah , i never had that problem and the recirc is plugged out , never ever cuts out .. an i have hpi filter too ;)

happened me few times in the silvia , and that was down to a fucked silicone joiner on the intercooler..

Greg
25-08-11, 15:08
That kind of makes sense and I'll explain why once I get to a laptop. Fuck typing it out on my phone.
Right..... basically there is a vacuum pipe that is sitting there doing nothing and with it blocked off the car cuts out, idles lower, isn't as responsive off boost, and is ok on petrol. And with it open the car is much more responsive, doesn't cut out, idles higher, and drinks juice. Work that one out. :D

must be aleak yeah , i never had that problem and the recirc is plugged out , never ever cuts out .. an i have hpi filter too ;)

happened me few times in the silvia , and that was down to a fucked silicone joiner on the intercooler..

Is yours mapped though? when mine was mapped it was perfect. Must have a route around your engine bay someday and see what is different. :)

will_c
25-08-11, 15:47
Right..... basically there is a vacuum pipe that is sitting there doing nothing and with it blocked off the car cuts out, idles lower, isn't as responsive off boost, and is ok on petrol. And with it open the car is much more responsive, doesn't cut out, idles higher, and drinks juice. Work that one out. :D

have you tried connecting it to a pipe that carries both boost and vacumn? can you trace where it goes to?

Greg
25-08-11, 16:46
have you tried connecting it to a pipe that carries both boost and vacumn? can you trace where it goes to?
I haven't, because I wouldn't know where to find one. It's got something to with the recirculating valve because it goes over to that area. I'll try find a connecter missing a pipe and stick it on that.

Keli
26-08-11, 09:50
Pete, I think it could have something to do with back pressure.
Do you have a straight through on the car?
When I'm driving my car normally there's not much flutter but when I put my bung in it seems to be alot flutterier. It could be just that I can hear it more cause the car is quieter but I'm pretty sure the flutter is even longer when the bung is creating more back pressure. . . car runs like a bag of shit with it in though i might add.

Dozzler
03-09-11, 16:29
same here , mine is grand with the last 18 months or that anyway without any hassle ..

it is savage loud :)

have u a decat in yours andrew ? they will automatically run higher boost if u have a decat ..

is there recirc system thing on the twin setup..?

Yeah i've a de-cat but also have many leaks and holes in my exhaust all along it and also possible leaking i/c pipes and vaccuum hoses etc. Wont know for sure what it's like til i've everything sorted, tightened up and replaced.. Haven't a notion if there's a recirc on it to be honest.. Anyone else know?