PDA

View Full Version : BMW - Calibrating steering angle sensor

ae86f20c
22-05-12, 14:26
Maybe someone on here is a BMW mechanic or working in a dealership or has came across this before ?

So, my DSC light came on last weekend on a E46 M3.

When I plug in, im told the steering angle sensor has a implausable fault,

When I google, this some forums say I can calibrate this item myself, but i havent found out how to?

Any help would be great lads or ladies...

Thanks,James

kev.skyline
22-05-12, 14:44
you need to calibrate it with a dis/isid, not sure if other diagnostics will do it, a launch might. some bmw specalists will have a dis or you could ring up a dealer and check how much. it only takes 5 mins to do it.

pepsterx
22-05-12, 23:28
Most diagnostic tools will do it, something must have change they don't just loose calibration, is your steering wheel straight ahead ?

D-turbo-lad
22-05-12, 23:49
i know any carmann launch or snap-on machine will put out the light snap-on modus will recailibrate it again. but what put it on? if the angle of the cheering was changed like a part changed and steering not realined correctly (tracked) it will come on

kev.skyline
23-05-12, 02:31
it can be brought on by hitting something, or doin skids, after the snow last year we had to do loads of them. could also try a battery reset, disconnect the neg lead for 10 mins, when its reconnected start it up the dsc and brake warning lights should be on, then turn the steering from lock to lock and go for a little drive. might work.

2tonne
23-05-12, 03:24
it can be brought on by hitting something, or doin skids, after the snow last year we had to do loads of them. could also try a battery reset, disconnect the neg lead for 10 mins, when its reconnected start it up the dsc and brake warning lights should be on, then turn the steering from lock to lock and go for a little drive. might work.

If theres no hardware problems this usually works.
centre the wheel before disconnecting. once reconnected, go lock to lock a few times.
I have bmw software to do it if your stuck.