View Full Version : Turbo ques??

Scamper
05-06-09, 17:43
Rite basically i have a strong feeling my turbo is on the way out

- my car is spewing alot of white smoke and it is getting progressivly worse
- My car sometimes stutters in boost
- But car is idleing and running fine bar this

I have no problem changing the turbo, im gonna be going with a t28

Wat im asking is, is this def my turbo seals that is the problem, and could it be anything else, most people i have talked to said they are 99% sure its the turbo, but jus want yer opinions!

Thanks in advance lads
Scamper

Davie
05-06-09, 17:58
i dont think its turbo issue's,i reakon it a miss or fueling

Scamper
05-06-09, 22:39
Anyone else?

Stevo
05-06-09, 22:42
Anyone else?

White smoke sounds like turbo alrite lad:(

podge
05-06-09, 23:03
white smoke could be turbo or head gasket

Jay Rockett
05-06-09, 23:09
Is it just at idle or low revs, or most of the time??

White smoke generally means water/coolant leak, i.e headgasket!

I'd do a compression test on all cylinders and see if any are down on pressure a wee bit!

If you think its the turbo oil seals then the smoke should be blue or greyish in colour..

colm
05-06-09, 23:27
white smoke sounds like a HG to me too.

you can usually get a little blue smoke on idle when the tubby seals are going.

what condition are you plugs and coil packs?

did both problems start at the same time?

you can get a test done on your coolant to see if theres any trace of oil mixing in with it

thegosson
06-06-09, 01:01
Is it just at idle or low revs, or most of the time??

White smoke generally means water/coolant leak, i.e headgasket!

I'd do a compression test on all cylinders and see if any are down on pressure a wee bit!

If you think its the turbo oil seals then the smoke should be blue or greyish in colour..

what jay says here would be what id say too.

will_c
06-06-09, 12:06
in addition to what jay has said, i would also be checking the intercooler and related pipework for boost leaks as it can cause similar enough symptoms ie smoking and spluttering under boost. i would get the cooling system pressure tested, do a compression test, and test the intercooler for leaks also.

also whip out your spark plugs and let us know what colour each plug for which cylinder is that can be helpful in the diagnosis

Dunnedriftin
06-06-09, 12:32
would also be checking the intercooler and related pipework for boost leaks

X2, take of the intercooler and check the pipework fully! hapened one of the lads he had a boost leak and the car was driving dog rough!

But with regards to white smoke thats the HG (head gasket) to my knowledge, as oil is normally a bluey tint in the smoke...

Jay Rockett
06-06-09, 18:44
If its a boost leak it wont boost feck all really, have you a boost gauge??

Should get dark smoke if its boost related..

And does it only splutter sometimes on boost?

Death Magnetic
06-06-09, 18:57
Its very hard to give a defo answer when your not looking at the prob in person.
But i'd go with Jay.
check the water for the rainbow effect, Or the oil on the dipstick should give it away.
but the comp test is your best bet.

Scamper
09-06-09, 18:07
Update:
Got the compression test done today and she read 155psi in all cylinders, im delighted, also got the engine fully checked and mechanic said its perfect, so we went at the turbo and low and behold i was right, there was play in it, its wanked!
Glad i know wats wrong now, so i can get it sorted, thanks for all the help lads!

Jay Rockett
09-06-09, 19:37
Good stuff, glad you figured it out!

Just wondering though as you had said alot of white smoke, did the mechanic give any explaination for that?