PDA

View Full Version : Turbo'd eunos?

twailbait
19-11-09, 00:52
Having dirty thoughts in my head recently about bolting a turbo onto the mx5.
Contemplating whether or not it is a good idea.

A few options out there at the moment.
I can get a so called full bolt on hks t25 kit, everything i need, for in an around 1400, second hand. Comes with T25, mani, downpipe, 5th injector, some kind of piggyback management.

Or i can try compile the stuff together myself?Ebay has everything you need, i just dont understand how the management and fueling is supposed to be done!

Any help or idea's. Only want to run low psi, 6ish??

PeterT
19-11-09, 01:01
dont be ebay turbos thats the first thing.

which bits of fuelling dont you understand? i can acualy submit relative info on this!

twailbait
19-11-09, 01:37
dont be ebay turbos thats the first thing.

which bits of fuelling dont you understand? i can acualy submit relative info on this!

Wouldn't buy the turbo itself off ebay, but i'd get all the other parts.

What i dont understand is, say i get a turbo, mani, downpipe, boost controller.
Then i could fit bigger injectors to cope, but how do i manage the fuel and shit?!

PeterT
19-11-09, 01:42
why would you get a boost controller? never mind that, a t25 jobby that youl be getting would be grand boostin away at what it wants i reckon!

ull need a bigger fuel pump anyways, thats a start. bigger injectors will need some form of mappable ecu/piggyback chip on standard ecu to work at all. also with the bigger injectors and more flow, you may need an uprated fuel pressure regulater, so that when ur ecus been told to give more go go juice, and ur pump can pump it, the regulater will actualy let it do it!

or something.

Administrator
19-11-09, 09:21
Remember reading a thread on DW about this, have a search on there Tim!

Jay Rockett
19-11-09, 10:59
I'd go for the "bolt on, everything you need for 1400" kit.. that way you know you have everything and it SHOULD work, you wont save much money "compiling stuff together" then trying to get it to work!

Get a boost guage and shity boost controller too just to be safe!

will_c
19-11-09, 11:55
cooper s supercharger,either larger injectors or 5th injector, fmic, ecu mods job done!ask joe if he can map a standard eunos ecu if he can you could flash the standard ecu and have a nice safe system. There was an issue of banzai i think a while ago with a load of supercharged mx5s in it ill try dig it out at the weekend.

Simon
19-11-09, 11:58
i see trouble up ahead!! ahhh ahah nah it would be cool!! wonder what the power increase would be!!

twailbait
03-03-10, 23:08
Awful awful ideas to do this have been going through my head recently. I scraped the idea of sr20ing it! Too muc effort!:eek:

So a simple low boost turbo set up is on the cards. 5-7psi.

should make it move that little bit better.;)

Am I mad to bother???:confused::confused:

PeterT
04-03-10, 00:30
just fucking do it. The amount of them around turbos means they must be easy as feck to do.

do it fast, or your an.....ass.

twailbait
04-03-10, 00:45
There's fuck all over here that are turbo'd. but everone in the UK and US are turbo'd!

I'v been doing my maths and a grand will give me a decent basic set up.

I just have to figure a few other things out first though, dont want to go blowing my engine up from overboosting.

What turbo's do sr20's come with standard, t25? what do they boost?

Simon
04-03-10, 00:56
just fucking do it. .

x2...... message is too short

PeterT
04-03-10, 01:03
theres was a red turbod one in bray tim, and a black turbod one in tallagh, go join the irish mx5 forum pronto and get with the times!

twailbait
04-03-10, 01:16
theres was a red turbod one in bray tim, and a black turbod one in tallagh, go join the irish mx5 forum pronto and get with the times!

I am on it! Im just saying there not that common here as they are elsewhere!

PeterT
04-03-10, 01:17
oh rite! more common that cefiros anyways :D ba ha. i think s14s are t25, s14a's are t28, and s15s are t28r. but dont quote me on that as im not an sr20 bummer

twailbait
04-03-10, 01:21
Yeah thats what i thought. What do they boost standard? 1 bar?

I'd need to lower that.

PeterT
04-03-10, 01:41
0.6 as i said!

twailbait
04-03-10, 01:56
Looking good for an sr t25 so! Thats the boost i can run with the set up i have in mind! Now i just need to get money to build it!

colm
04-03-10, 02:27
this should be intesting, best of luck with it.

I turbo'd a b16 a couple of years ago and was a pure ballache :( the compression on the na block was just too high. the ringlands didnt last 25miles at .3bar while it was being set up! and i know of 4 other na blocks all done by different lads at different times and the pistons failed inthe exact same place on them all.

aim low with the boost is what id say lol

twailbait
04-03-10, 02:30
Mx5's have low compression engines designed for charging! So you can run boost without frying the engine. Not too much though, I'd only be looking for .5 or .6 bar really.

B.Egan
04-03-10, 14:51
This is actually why I want to sell the FC and take on a turbo mk1 mx5 project. Although it might never happen. But have done alot of research on it. MX5 engines are the same as in the Mazda 323 GT. They are basically a turbo engine that has had the turbo removed. On standard internals they can run safely up in the 250-260 bhp region. Which would be pretty mental in such a small and light car. Doesnt matter too much if its the 1.6 or 1.8 really, although the 1.8 clutch, flywheel, brakes etc are a bonus.