PDA

View Full Version : Build a drift slab?

LarZ
02-05-12, 11:04
EDIT: SLAB is the wrong word here. I don't want to go around in circles, i want a big area where you can actually learn to drift without potentially putting others in danger or even annoying them because you're a noob

What's involved?

Assuming you have a piece of land which is very level. What are the costs and legalities involved in building a large concreted slab where people can practice/learn to drift?

topdog
02-05-12, 12:25
At least 2 euro anyway

git
02-05-12, 12:32
Bout twenty grand ,concrete from road stone ,cones probably free ,labour to level and compact it, all assuming u own the land, now there's ur answer

Close please :-)

pole drift
02-05-12, 12:40
You'll need a cement mixer anyway

LarZ
02-05-12, 12:51
20k isn't even that bad... We need something to that effect down here in Kerry... we're a bit neglected :)

Anyone know about the legalities?

bart
02-05-12, 12:53
ring this guy lad..
he was looking for someone just like you to set up a slap..
he from kerry and all..
has land and loads of money...

gem-s13
02-05-12, 12:57
Are you talking about a TRACK! Or a diffin slab! If a slab lad for hopein the coupe. Then dont waste your time posting here!

crash&burn
02-05-12, 13:24
dont mind the rest of them,,even if its a slab for diffin,and u end up getting sick out the window from going around in circles,its all good fun,,go for it,,,,if its not drifting we dont want to hear about it,,,,,,FUCK THAT

PeterT
02-05-12, 13:41
If youre one of the retarded folks who only wants to go around in circles and flash headlights, may aswel just buy an Xbox and get a twincam on that! Theres a massive slab you can buy some time on for 150 quid, it's called mondello!

git
02-05-12, 13:51
ring this guy lad..
he was looking for someone just like you to set up a slap..
he from kerry and all..
has land and loads of money...

Bart that fella went bust new guy set up now !! Here's his number dude ! (087) 924 0269 hes in the pharmaceutical game always lookin for new ventures ,he used to bulldoze walls years ago if I remember correctly !

si_berry
02-05-12, 13:53
Nah he's back in the game, was chatting to him the other day and wants to get things moving quickly for the summer. 0876453455 :)

nikkisixx69
02-05-12, 16:18
lad do it i say , we need a place for the upcoming SHLABFEST event , but a few nice touches would be if you could build a good down hill run up to the shlab for the skid plates competition , so lads in their FWD's could hit about 60mph before they pull the hand brake and make her dance

id say it would be cheaper to rob a cement mixer for the concrete though , like in fast and the furious 1 , when they were hi-jacking lorries , well you and your mates could drive up in your civics and hi-jack the cement mixer on the move , just be careful one of the laads doesnt jump into the actual mixer or you will have a lovely statue of your mate for the shlab.

i believe in you

LarZ
02-05-12, 16:26
HAHAHAHA! I don't want to go around in circles... i want to have a facility where people can learn to hold a drift, set up cones for a small makeshift 'track'. Even if it only has 2 or 3 corners, it's better than doing it out on the public road!

now about those legalities? :police:

LarZ
02-05-12, 16:28
If youre one of the retarded folks who only wants to go around in circles and flash headlights, may aswel just buy an Xbox and get a twincam on that! Theres a massive slab you can buy some time on for 150 quid, it's called mondello!

Yeah sure i'll do that, it's only 4 hours drive from my house...

serious tom
02-05-12, 17:25
Yeah sure i'll do that, it's only 4 hours drive from my house...

Sure I live in the ground of Mondello and the rest of the lads live 10mins away.
No one tell you?

grange
02-05-12, 17:41
Go for it! Even a big figure of 8 would do the job! simples

LarZ
02-05-12, 18:15
Sure I live in the ground of Mondello and the rest of the lads live 10mins away.
No one tell you?

:shocked: Could you at least try to add something to the conversation? It's not practical for a lot of people to make huge effort to go to mondello when they're just beginners who dont want to slow down other 'track' users or even worse, put them in danger.

That's why i think a facility like this is needed in the kerry area.

hoopsbhoy
02-05-12, 18:50
You really shouldnt have titled the thread with the world slab in it, you were never gonna get anywhere with that for a start.

No one here is interested in that shit, its pointless to say the very least.

However if you built some sort of small track i'm sure people would show interest. However from my limited knowledge, it would cost a small fortune to set up. Cant see it being feasible tbh.

Legally wise I wouldnt have a clue, i'm assuming insurance would be a big thing.

MissSuz
02-05-12, 18:57
Seriously?

you think you would be better prepared for the likes of Mondello if you have a slab! Jesus. If you want a 'makeshift' track as you call it , it would want to be some 'slab! haha. You also have to this about things like noice pollution and insurance. Oh deary me.

Non runner....

Derk
02-05-12, 18:59
Give us a shout if you need anyone to fit tyres at it bud :D:o:p;)

LarZ
02-05-12, 19:01
this whole thing is new to me... i was thinking of a slab of concrete, because that's what it is... I should probably have specified a size... people can't just assume that i'm some young fella with frustrations. They seem to be doing it on every post.

Would be cool to have something where advanced driving techniques can be taught, and people could go there to realise the limits of their cars...

I wonder if you could just build it with an access road and not protect it...

MissSuz
02-05-12, 19:05
this whole thing is new to me... i was thinking of a slab of concrete, because that's what it is... I should probably have specified a size... people can't just assume that i'm some young fella with frustrations. They seem to be doing it on every post.

Would be cool to have something where advanced driving techniques can be taught, and people could go there to realise the limits of their cars...

I wonder if you could just build it with an access road and not protect it...

http://www.prodriftseries.com/academy/enquiries/

Boom!!

LarZ
02-05-12, 19:07
Seriously?

you think you would be better prepared for the likes of Mondello if you have a slab! Jesus. If you want a 'makeshift' track as you call it , it would want to be some 'slab! haha. You also have to this about things like noice pollution and insurance. Oh deary me.

Non runner....

Plenty of places around kerry where nobody will hear the cars too much... How do other such facilities come to exist around the country?
Does anyone know the actual insurance technicalities? I presume it's a mine field, but it might be possible. i wouldn't expect to make a fortune off it but i think that it could serve a good purpose...

That place in balbriggan, who owns that and how can they get away with it?

MissSuz
02-05-12, 19:19
Again you cannot compare Balbriggan to a 'slab'

See pic's

http://www.driftireland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21262&highlight=Balbriggan

Much more than a slab. So really what your saying is your looking for a yard asuch to teach people how to diff/drift?

LarZ
02-05-12, 19:32
I saw balbriggan and assumed the term was 'slab'... it's not a track as such, it's a huge concrete slab.

I don't necessarily want to teach people (i'm in no position to). A facility like this, if channelled correctly, considering the surge in drifters in this country and the RSA's demand for safer drivers and driver education make this a potentially viable business opportunity in a sparsely populated area like Kerry. It would be great for the local economy and could potentially get a lot of the messing off the streets and into a safe/isolated environment...

For the record, i HATE 'diffin'... I even hate the word... I have never done it, and never will... anyone can do donuts.

I'm talking about sliding a car into a parking spot. Negotiating a corner whilst in a controlled slide. Anticipating braking distances, correcting slides, Learning about the physics of motoring and how to avoid being wreckless and still being able to have fun. If you don't have an accurate measure of a car's limits, it becomes more difficult to manage.

Hope i'm making a bit more sense now. apologies for being narky, i was just ignorant to the terminology.

m3con
02-05-12, 19:39
http://www.driftireland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27687 prob something like this
Ur after

Damien
02-05-12, 19:42
Two acres: £2,000
Stone base: 4,000
Concrete for two acres, 4 inch depth: 80,000
Insurance, depends on what way you like to be ridden
Palnning permission, whatever will fit into the biggest brown envelope you can find.

Total: eleventy billion dollars

*Calculations may not be exact and rates quoted dependant on terms and conditions, though there may be some funny stuff, initial values claculated, then urine was extracted.

LarZ
02-05-12, 19:50
Very like that alright... You'd probably be talking about 200k before you have anything worth talking about. Between the actual concrete and the car park facilities. But i wonder how you could make money and pay for any insurances you might need... Surely there's a way to make it into an actual business...

LarZ
02-05-12, 19:52
Two acres: £2,000
Stone base: 4,000
Concrete for two acres, 4 inch depth: 80,000
Insurance, depends on what way you like to be ridden
Palnning permission, whatever will fit into the biggest brown envelope you can find.

Total: eleventy billion dollars

*Calculations may not be exact and rates quoted dependant on terms and conditions, though there may be some funny stuff, initial values claculated, then urine was extracted.

Think that's about right but 2 acres will cost more than 2k i'd say ;)

MissSuz
02-05-12, 19:52
Very like that alright... You'd probably be talking about 200k before you have anything worth talking about. Between the actual concrete and the car park facilities. But i wonder how you could make money and pay for any insurances you might need... Surely there's a way to make it into an actual business...

Its called 'his family have money'

lol :)

LarZ
02-05-12, 19:56
Its called 'his family have money'

lol :)

You assume i'm of an age where i depend on my family for money?

Money is easy to get if you have the right investors and the right business plan...

dermot-r32
02-05-12, 19:59
lads would ye relax on him.its an idea he was thinking of and asked for advice/info....is the site not made for info/help with anything drift related?

tbh man.i would LOVE something in kerry but i think it would be a complete non runner..wouldnt get around legal/costs/complaints etc

the likes of driftfest etc are the best bet really and think i heard there testing somewhere in kerry for a track?

my 2c anyway

m3con
02-05-12, 20:00
As much as they hate it on here ya have to have diffin days and other such
Events as drifting alone will not cover it private hire and other types of racing
Need to b able to use it people on here seem to think
These places build and maintain themselves if ur planning something try and
Accommodate as many different sports as possible and remember
It only takes one arsehole to make a noise complaint and then the council will
Make life very difficult for ya so choose your location very carefully

MissSuz
02-05-12, 20:02
You assume i'm of an age where i depend on my family for money?

Money is easy to get if you have the right investors and the right business plan...

Im not assuming anything , Im just taking the piss really cuz its not a very feasible idea tbh.

LarZ
02-05-12, 20:13
I think this would need to be a full time gig, with real investment and no half measures. There are plenty of things like karting, driving schools, advanced driving lessons, drift sessions, practice, competition, drag racing, car trials, etc.

You'd have to be aware of complaints, probably have to close at strict hours.

I just want to know more about the intricacies. Maybe people just assume this is an impossible feat and never attempt it as a result :)

LarZ
02-05-12, 20:15
Im not assuming anything , Im just taking the piss really cuz its not a very feasible idea tbh.

If this wasn't feasible, then these facilities wouldn't exist. I'm not trying to create something that doesn't exist.

180sx drifter
02-05-12, 20:30
Tbh you'd be better off with a good track rather than a 'slap' that way you can run karting on weekdays or days there is no drifting or any thing going on. Good idea tho.

MissSuz
02-05-12, 20:30
So really you want to know how to go about it?

1. Find a venue...this will help http://www.driftireland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22418

2. Buy it with all your money and money from various investors

3. Sort out insurance , planning permission if you need to build/add to your venue

4. Are you planning on asking people to bring there own cars or are you going to buy these with all your money aswell?

5. Youl also need instructors for the advanced angles you plan to have going on at this venue

6. and so on...!

Is this the kind of thing your thinking?

Damien
02-05-12, 20:33
That was meant to be 20,000 not 2.
For it to be feasible it would need to be full time and multi use to be sustainable.
Something like wategrasshill, but a big square of concrete for more room practising.
karting, drifting, drivers ed and more could be done.

However i dont think the population is big enough even using it for differnet things

LarZ
02-05-12, 20:36
So really you want to know how to go about it?

1. Find a venue...this will help http://www.driftireland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22418

2. Buy it with all your money and money from various investors

3. Sort out insurance , planning permission if you need to build/add to your venue

4. Are you planning on asking people to bring there own cars or are you going to buy these with all your money aswell?

5. Youl also need instructors for the advanced angles you plan to have going on at this venue

6. and so on...!

Is this the kind of thing your thinking?

Yeah i'm going to buy them all cars yeah... what'll you have?

LarZ
02-05-12, 20:37
That was meant to be 20,000 not 2.
For it to be feasible it would need to be full time and multi use to be sustainable.
Something like wategrasshill, but a big square of concrete for more room practising.
karting, drifting, drivers ed and more could be done.

However i dont think the population is big enough even using it for differnet things

population is a big factor alright... Who's going to come to kerry... we'll just have to give them a reason :P

MissSuz
02-05-12, 20:39
Sure with all your money you could buy me a car too :)

LarZ
02-05-12, 20:40
Tbh you'd be better off with a good track rather than a 'slap' that way you can run karting on weekdays or days there is no drifting or any thing going on. Good idea tho.

I would agree, but tracks are pretty confined and restrictive... A large concrete area, you can arrange and set up tracks as needed...

sideways shane
02-05-12, 20:54
Sure with all your money you could buy me a car too :)

cut him some slack and stop taking the piss with every comment he makes!!

your biggest obstacle will be funding for something like this and probably people who have the no interest in this sorta thing as was said before all it takes is 1 person to say something and all the hard work gets put on hold for god only knows how long..your best bet would be to just hit track days..everyone hada start somewhere!

hoopsbhoy
02-05-12, 21:05
Jesus lads,

Who's to say Larz dosnt have access to investors and to money. Ye give out about facilities and such but are completely closed to anyone looking for information.

Go Kart tracks are feasible aint they, so why not this?

<aybe a go kart track would be a good idea.

jeff nelson sileighty
02-05-12, 21:26
tbh man the only feasable way about this would be to buy a spot of land with something even half resembling a track already built there, itd bring costs way down then....just a suggestion?

RB26DETT
02-05-12, 21:30
1 complaint and your idea is fucked.

Been there, tried that.

Besta look though if you do manage to get something up and running. :)

batman026
02-05-12, 21:34
no matter whats said against this idea, the simple answer is if you build a some what half decent track we will pay to drift on it :)

andyrob
02-05-12, 21:59
no matter whats said against this idea, the simple answer is if you build a some what half decent track we will pay to drift on it :)

cudnt have said it better myself, goodluck with it aneway

LarZ
02-05-12, 22:13
1 complaint and your idea is fucked.

Been there, tried that.

Besta look though if you do manage to get something up and running. :)

That's worrying alright... It's only just still an idea, but it's a project that I'd love to be a part of.

Would love a pm of what you've tried and what kind of complaints you received...

dil
02-05-12, 22:27
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs35/i/2008/308/f/8/if_you_build_it_they_will_come_by_Nordic_Dragon.jp g

but seriously why the negative comments?

as already mentioned driftfest are planning to test places in kerry so obviously it can be done

if people in the know can give the correct advise it may help the cause, and who's to say this guy doesn't have the funds/connections to make it happen just because the rest of us dont!

bart
02-05-12, 22:37
Lad I'm not been smart but your pissing against the wind here..
It's been tried and tested..
Even mondello receive complaints about noise..
As said it takes one complaint then it's shut down..
Look at rose green..
Wgh will be the same if you get one angry neighbour or local..
I know people that's had planning permission rejected for a track..
They were will to pump 200k plus..
Your idea is great. Thought the same myself..
So no offence but just forget about it.. Unless u know a lot of people to pull strings for you..

PeterT
02-05-12, 22:56
Lad I'm not been smart but your pussing against the wind here..
It's been tried and tested..
Even mondello receive complaints about noise..
As said it takes one complaint then it's shut down..
Look at rose green..
Wgh will be the same if you get one angry neighbour or local..
I know people that's had planning permission rejected for a track..
They were will to pump 200k plus..
Your idea is great. Thought the same myself..
So no offence but just forget about it.. Unless u know a lot of people to pull strings for you..

i too have tried this in a perfect location so to speak and it never came through and materialised :(

but go for it anyways now that youve stated its not a diffing slab :D

LarZ
03-05-12, 13:08
It's a pity that something that's of so much benefit would be so difficult to set up...

Even more disappointing that some people on this forum seem to have no belief that it is possible, even though similar facilities exist in Ireland.

If it was easy, everyone would do it. But I'm trying to highlight what is difficult and why.

serious tom
03-05-12, 15:25
Everyone had you enthusiasm at some stage.
Several very well executed plans have been tried in the past two or three years.
Been there done that.
The countrys' gona ta shite.

Let us know the day it opens.

sideways-theonlyway
03-05-12, 15:40
With all the places estates etc half built and industrial yards/sheds etc all closed up there'd surely be a place to find and rent without having to build a dedicated track that's gonna set you back serious bucks.....but I suppose finding a place like that that's not near houses, shops etc is not easy either, as already said, it only takes one to complain or some other flute doing rings down the road from it to get a place shut down

180sxbreaker
03-05-12, 16:18
Farenfore airport ftw,

keith-n
03-05-12, 18:41
Even if it is for diffing, what makes it not a viable venture. Ye know as well as i do there's twice the amount of differs out there than those who drift. And even if only charging 10er a go, you'll make as much out of a slab in a year as driftfest will in terms of money collected from participating entrants in a year.

Wasn't one of our best friends a serial competitior at king of the ring and a constant attendee of anything where rings were a remote possibility? And un ashamidly now competes in PD doing pretty well from his humble beginings on the cross roads?

First thing thought in Prodrift academy? Donuts. You dont just jump in a car and do a backward entry..... unless its in the back seat you spend your time.

So rings ain't cool anymore, their not accepted on DI. That doesnt make it a non runner.

IF it turns out to be a shlab, it'll take all the messers off the crossroads for a few weekends a summer and pocket somebody a few quid, at the very least break even over time and if built to a decent size allow for those actually serious about learning how to hold a drfit the opertunity to learn on a private area before venturing out on track.

Marks spot in waterford was a large concrete slab with silage pit walls still in place and i have tonnes of vids of members from here holding drift around it. Its not a massive size, nor would it cost a fortune to construct one from scratch.

Btw, it'll never happen.... just idle ramblings of someone who's heart may be in the right place just doesnt know enough about the project to be a credible force behind it. Theres 2 tracks i know of in kerry which could be rented to learn on. By posting a thread on here with no information or credible plan to back up the thread just a bunch of questions shows the niavity of the OP in terms of this topic.

Lock er up, or let the vultures in. Dead thread, pointless topic

LarZ
03-05-12, 18:56
I wouldn't say i'm naiive, i'd say i'm ignorant to the costs and laws. That's why i started this topic. I wouldn't start a topic if i knew it all ;)

I wouldn't agree that it's pointless though... At the very least this thread shows that people think of these ideas. It shows that people are quick to say no, and not quick to answer questions, even if they know the answers. It shows that new people and uninformed people like myself are treated with some hostility around here, unfortunately. The sarcasm at the start was pretty deserved considering i called it a slab to be fair.

The two tracks in kerry, whereabouts are they? I've lived in kerry all my life, between kenmare, tralee and killarney. I've never even heard of them :confused:

keith-n
03-05-12, 19:13
I wouldn't say i'm naiive, i'd say i'm ignorant to the costs and laws. That's why i started this topic. I wouldn't start a topic if i knew it all ;)

I wouldn't agree that it's pointless though... At the very least this thread shows that people think of these ideas. It shows that people are quick to say no, and not quick to answer questions, even if they know the answers. It shows that new people and uninformed people like myself are treated with some hostility around here, unfortunately. The sarcasm at the start was pretty deserved considering i called it a slab to be fair.

The two tracks in kerry, whereabouts are they? I've lived in kerry all my life, between kenmare, tralee and killarney. I've never even heard of them :confused:

Like i said naive :p

Google is your friend. Let the thread settle, do some homework and repost when your a bit better informed. Nothing worse than spending hours answering questions when it'll go nowhere. Real commitment to an idea takes more than an inquisitive thread on DI looking for others to feed you the info, thats just lazy.

LarZ
03-05-12, 19:20
hahaha... tell me what to type into google to find these 2 tracks... You can't just make sweeping statements about tracks for rent when they just don't exist...

keith-n
03-05-12, 20:31
hahaha... tell me what to type into google to find these 2 tracks... You can't just make sweeping statements about tracks for rent when they just don't exist...

Thats bollox. Watch out for flyers in the coming months

LarZ
03-05-12, 20:44
The flyers are for both tracks yeah? Launching simultaneously? I'm sure lots of people would love if you shared your insight...

serious tom
03-05-12, 23:20
We have all experinced how places have been set up and have been closed.
Disheartened and fed up, we could care anymore.
What are you even talking about now?..
Your just looking to regain a dig at Keith cause he made some structural criticism, so just shh.
Please. Its over.
I wish you the best of luck in all you endeavours.

LarZ
04-05-12, 05:25
If someone wants to hijack or dismiss my post by acting the retard, yeah I want to prove them wrong.

I think that however ill informed or naive my questions are I deserve some respect.

EDIT: for all of you who did offer decent advice and feedback, thanks!