PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

richie
16-11-09, 23:43
i hav a 97 180 and my clutch pedal is very odd it has free play for about 3 quarters of the way and rite at the end it presses. its notchy to get into gear at times and when ya barely let the clutch out its biting. the clutch seems to be getting great bite not like its slipping. would it be pressure plate etc???or would it be my master cylinder or that. does any 1 else have this problem?

andy t
16-11-09, 23:56
sounds like release bearing man,

Frankae86
17-11-09, 00:01
Open the bonnet and check it for clutch fluid, it sounds like you are down on pressure. If its at the "max" mark on fluid bleed the cylinder and see does that sort your problem, if not its pressure plate after that id reckon.

booter
17-11-09, 00:49
had the same problem with my m3 ............. pressure plate!

nissan_doctor
17-11-09, 01:22
Look under the car at the slave cylinder on the gearbox and see if it is wet/leaking fluid. This will be your problem most likley.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/skyline%20slave%20cylinder%20picture/jhageman/NEWLY%20INSTALLED%20PARTS/megameetvir019.jpg

Eoin R.
17-11-09, 01:24
Look under the car at the slave cylinder on the gearbox and see if it is wet/leaking fluid. This will be your problem most likley.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/skyline%20slave%20cylinder%20picture/jhageman/NEWLY%20INSTALLED%20PARTS/megameetvir019.jpg

You really are the nissan doctor!! you really seem to know the crack lad!!:cool:

nissan_doctor
17-11-09, 01:37
We'll see if I'm right first.:D

Very common for the slave cylinder to go though, if the fluid had dropped low enough due the cylinder leaking to allow air into the system then that would explain the poor clutch pedal.

Seamie tc
17-11-09, 09:41
If it is a uprated clutch it might need adjusted at the pedal.
I put a exedy hyper single in my s14 and i had to adjust it. Warm the clutch up before adjusting.

Newsome
17-11-09, 10:46
Theres adjustment on the back of the clutch pedal. I had to adjust it on my 180 and my r33. 10 min job and it was sorted. Check for leaks and all that aswel do.

richie
17-11-09, 22:20
its not leaking and i bled the slave cylinder to check for air but there was none. its down to pressure plate or release bearing. i mite try adjusting it first and see what happens. then decide on pulling the box out

mick
17-11-09, 22:37
sunds like what was happening to the rx7, i reckon that was the master cylander lettin fluid back up to the resivoir when your foots on the clutch. could be miles of not but might be on the ball

richie
19-11-09, 01:01
i dont think this is the problem as its getting good pressure when the pedal is down its just all the free play before it.there is absoutely no pressure on the pedal 3 quarters of the way down at all. then it all comes on it at the end