PDA

View Full Version : 1998 s14

buggykarl
10-04-12, 18:38
just baught an s14 with a years test and few months tax thinkin of putting it out on the track any got one out on the track that can fill me in on what their like

hi_im_fil
10-04-12, 20:13
Fairly good on track if it has a few basic things like coilovers exhaust etc

PeterT
10-04-12, 20:15
will be more capable than you are with coilovers, a diff, and a bucket seat.

edit: that wasnt a go at you, but its obvious your a beginner!

Administrator
10-04-12, 20:53
will be more capable than you are with coilovers, a diff, and a bucket seat.

edit: that wasnt a go at you, but its obvious your a beginner!

Bingo.

That's pretty much all you need for the first while! Wouldn't bother with anything else except maybe a decat and a filter if there's none already.

Standard S14s are good fun.

buggykarl
10-04-12, 21:23
yea im only startin out with a turbo on the track had a bmw startin out just time to upgrade

its de cated has a straight pipe need a front month only a small one one the side of her at the min gonna take me seat out of the bmw an get a cage done what can i do to the engine would ye take the termo out of it and wat else would ye do to it any ideas lads

PeterT
10-04-12, 21:38
doesnt need a front mount at all, sure thats one more thing that can only take a light tip and will end your day out!

i tihnk youre over thinking this. service it, seat, diff, coilvers and take it for a day out and see what happens!

buggykarl
10-04-12, 21:43
ye sound no worries lads thanks for the info anyways cheers will fill yeas in how it goes next weekend ill take it to stones

Administrator
10-04-12, 21:44
Don't bother with anything else for now other than what Pete and I have said above, anything else will be wasted money in my eyes.

Driving the bejesus out of a standard car is more fun than spending money on shit you don't need. The more stuff you have on the car, the more that will go wrong.

Work up to some steering mods and then when your comfortable in the car and able to fire it around Mondello, go for some small sensible upgrades.

batman026
10-04-12, 21:48
i think these are the most helpful replys i have ever seen on DI and on that note get a hydro in her and all the stuff the lads said and you will be good to go

buggykarl
10-04-12, 21:50
will do darragha cheers just got it back about 8 so was a bit dark ill have a good look trough it all tomoro start taken out the inter anall think theirs a good diff already in her anall because every corner on the way home she was hangin lol

Administrator
10-04-12, 21:58
will do darragha cheers just got it back about 8 so was a bit dark ill have a good look trough it all tomoro start taken out the inter anall think theirs a good diff already in her anall because every corner on the way home she was hangin lol

No problem.

Just another thing, I hate driving cars without interior, anything I've had on track has always had pretty much full interior.

See what works for you though I know some people like having the interior out. Regardless I'd say don't bother taking out sound deadening as it's a pain in the bollocks and gives fuck all benefit, apart from making all bumps and rattles sound louder, especially if your gonna still be having the car on the road.

Stock up on 16" skid wheels and part worns and have a laugh. Really can't wait to get back out myself just talking about it :)

Darren
10-04-12, 22:57
Don't bother with anything else for now other than what Pete and I have said above, anything else will be wasted money in my eyes.

Driving the bejesus out of a standard car is more fun than spending money on shit you don't need. The more stuff you have on the car, the more that will go wrong.

Work up to some steering mods and then when your comfortable in the car and able to fire it around Mondello, go for some small sensible upgrades.

x2 on the above i have darraghs old s14 and engine is totally standard with just a air filter and a "decat":D and is mega fun to drive and has no bother in the dry. i wouldnt bother with a front mount just yet tho when i was starting out having a front mount would have ended a few drift days early when i head butted the tires. keep it simple for the time being

buggykarl
11-04-12, 08:15
ive bein driven a bmw in stones since last year now im keepin clear of the tyres dont know if they get out of my way lol or i just miss them now at the start i think every tyre on stones track seen the under neat of my motor ha ha lol think i will just leave it with everything in it for now but wanna try start entering comps with it after a while