PDA

View Full Version : Knock in sr 20 engine?

fitzygtr
05-03-12, 21:58
Well lads i'm buildin my 180 for last few months cage body work lock etc last sat engine developed a slight knock in bottom end as we thought so took engine out and took off sump checked bearing no problems there. But when i took off sump noticed 6 small ball bearings in the oil and bits of a bearing cage and notin else cant find where they came from and only problem we can find in relation to the knock is the timing chain has a bit of play in it. Have any of ye any idea's what problem may be and where the bearings came from it has my head wrecked cheers. :huh:

gem-s13
05-03-12, 22:33
are you sure that they are ball beaings? check with a magnet and see if they are steel id say more than likely its alloy and drips of a melted piston, thats what your knock is and the bits that look like a bearing cage are bits of piston ring,

also pm back about that other thing

fitzygtr
05-03-12, 23:06
Sound gem no lad there defo ball bearings and bits of a bearing cage

fitzygtr
05-03-12, 23:08
Sound gem no there defo ball bearings and bits of bearing cage car was runnin mint just a slight knock

2tonne
05-03-12, 23:49
only place i can imagine is if a turbo shitted itself and the bearings made there way down the oil drain? still fairly long shot though i'd say,

2tonne
05-03-12, 23:53
Also if that could happen they could have been in there a while and someone replaced the turbo and never knew.

mr.jailbait
06-03-12, 11:34
whats it running like now?

replace the timing chain tensioner probly first,but a loose chain would probably rattle more than knock

mr.jailbait
06-03-12, 12:09
or theres also the possibility that the standard chain guide has broken,which is common

fitzygtr
06-03-12, 12:18
going to put a new chain-guides and new tensioner and con rod bearings in it tonight see how i go thanks again for all the help :D