PDA

View Full Version : steel tube bars! where can i buy it?

fitzer
21-02-12, 22:03
wel, decided im gonna build my own cage in me 180 but i havnt a clue who sells the tubes that would pass PD specs, any help appriciated cheers ;)

keith-n
22-02-12, 02:37
wel, decided im gonna build my own cage in me 180 but i havnt a clue who sells the tubes that would pass PD specs, any help appriciated cheers ;)

I'd be very careful about jumping into cage building yourself if you dont even know who sells steel in your locality.................

Stonie
22-02-12, 02:44
Make sure to get the right size and wall thickness tubing,,

twailbait
22-02-12, 08:09
I'd be very careful about jumping into cage building yourself if you dont even know who sells steel in your locality.................

Not as easy and straight forward as you may think!
Although you could be a good fabricator! I dont know!!

I presume you'll be using a little jack type hydraulic bender, which are easy to use, and also easy to make a shit cage that will fail pd logging!

jj05y
22-02-12, 09:29
no where in ireland sells the steel. only the uk.

joeymc
22-02-12, 09:41
no where in ireland sells the steel. only the uk.

There is a place in Ireland does it, www.specialsteels.ie

Boguey001
22-02-12, 10:39
i think tdp sell it to.

bart
22-02-12, 11:13
John stone might sell you some of his..
He's a nice stock of it down there..
No harm in asking him

fitzer
22-02-12, 17:51

Not as easy and straight forward as you may think!
Although you could be a good fabricator! I dont know!!

I presume you'll be using a little jack type hydraulic bender, which are easy to use, and also easy to make a shit cage that will fail pd logging!

i dont know what bender it is cause its me mates and hes helpin me build it he builds lorry trailers so id say he knows what hes doin ha

fitzer
22-02-12, 17:55
Make sure to get the right size and wall thickness tubing,,

yea man tanks:)

fitzer
22-02-12, 17:57
tanks for the replys lads :)

jj05y
22-02-12, 17:57
There is a place in Ireland does it, www.specialsteels.ie
yea and no. they dont hold it in stock. they.ll bring it in from the uk for ya.

fitzer
22-02-12, 18:03
yea and no. they dont hold it in stock. they.ll bring it in from the uk for ya.

wud ya know how much like 4 10ft bars would be off them?

jj05y
22-02-12, 19:18
iirc its about 20 per meter, could be completly wrong tho,,,
when i was lookin at getting into makin cages, there was 2-300 quids worth of steel in a prodrift reg cage :mad:

fitzer
22-02-12, 19:29
iirc its about 20 per meter, could be completly wrong tho,,,
when i was lookin at getting into makin cages, there was 2-300 quids worth of steel in a prodrift reg cage :mad:

ohh :shocked: emm lets just hope the likes of TDP or john stone or special steels.ie will be sellin a bit cheaper haha i had the intensions that it would cost me like max 200quid!!

fitzer
22-02-12, 19:30
ohh :shocked: emm lets just hope the likes of TDP or john stone or special steels.ie will be sellin a bit cheaper haha i had the intensions that it would cost me like max 200quid!!

and me mate said that its like 25quid for 10ft of it he could be wrong tho aswel :p

joeymc
22-02-12, 19:42
is he thinking of Gun barrel or cds? Why cheap out on something safety related

PeterT
22-02-12, 19:46
no point wanting to go cheap on a cage of all things really is there!?

Stonie
22-02-12, 19:48
Shit tubing won't pass the regs,, and unless you have a very good tube bender you will just kink the tube on the tight bends which defiantly will not pass scruitney, and you will be wasting tube,!!

s13-ste
22-02-12, 19:50
no point wanting to go cheap on a cage of all things really is there!?

because some people think they are chuck norris and will never cash or get out of a bent to fuck shell and cage and laugh at the mess of their legs

PeterT
22-02-12, 20:01
true that. im one to go the cheap route...but not with the likes of a cage in a drift car!

fitzer
22-02-12, 20:18
true that. im one to go the cheap route...but not with the likes of a cage in a drift car!

so what yeas are all sayin is get it professionally built? who would be the best on a small budget 4 a cage?

s13-ste
22-02-12, 20:20
so what yeas are all sayin is get it professionally built? who would be the best on a small budget 4 a cage?

look at bolt in to keep it cheap(no dash dodgers) or just mail all the builders around and get a price off them

fitzer
22-02-12, 20:23
look at bolt in to keep it cheap(no dash dodgers) or just mail all the builders around and get a price off them

yea i know dash dodgers arnt allowed ill do that now mail a few people cheers

Maurice.
22-02-12, 20:45
I've looked into doing this and have done a few cages for varying regulations usually for hot rod which wouldn't have had as tight regs as prodrift do. England is the only place really to go for cds or t45 which is ridiculously expensive but is a lot lighter. It is also as good as impossible to make the tighter bends without kinking the pipe when using a jack type bender they just dont like tight bends!
Budget is always a concern I understand that but budget should never come into the equation when its your own safety at risk. Save up for a while and get a professional to do it and just be finished with it

fitzer
22-02-12, 20:49
I've looked into doing this and have done a few cages for varying regulations usually for hot rod which wouldn't have had as tight regs as prodrift do. England is the only place really to go for cds or t45 which is ridiculously expensive but is a lot lighter. It is also as good as impossible to make the tighter bends without kinking the pipe when using a jack type bender they just dont like tight bends!
Budget is always a concern I understand that but budget should never come into the equation when its your own safety at risk. Save up for a while and get a professional to do it and just be finished with it

yea after seein all these comments im gonna save up and get it done properly be a while savin tho caus im still in school haha

fitzer
22-02-12, 20:50
yea after seein all these comments im gonna save up and get it done properly be a while savin tho caus im still in school haha

and i need te save for an rb20 aswell ha ah but i have till 2013 loadsa time ha

Razzer
22-02-12, 22:41
if you really want to make it yourself have a look at this DIY Benders that you could make to help you.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Tools/Tube%20Bender/Tubingbender.htm

Like most are saying the steel isnt cheap. The last time I looked for it there was this place that had it in stock. They are in Cork and Dublin http://www.impactirl.ie/ but it ain't cheap think it was about €60 a length cant remember.

jj05y
22-02-12, 23:04
ye,,, bolt in is a good cheaper option, and you can weld it in solid, its just a cage kit,,, or try custom cages in the uk (google!), they will send you a weld in cage,
stay clear of dashdogers,,,
saw a lad a pd last year in fermoy,,, he was following, 1st car hit the tyres, bounced out arse first, the following car had no where to go but drivers door straight into the corner of the boot, there was a dash dodger in the car, and it came in about 8 inches,,, sheer fluke that he didnt loose a leg,

fitzer
23-02-12, 17:32
if you really want to make it yourself have a look at this DIY Benders that you could make to help you.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Tools/Tube%20Bender/Tubingbender.htm

Like most are saying the steel isnt cheap. The last time I looked for it there was this place that had it in stock. They are in Cork and Dublin http://www.impactirl.ie/ but it ain't cheap think it was about €60 a length cant remember.

yea im gonna look into getin one built by a pro caus now it doesnt sound so easy as i tought it would be

fitzer
23-02-12, 17:33
ye,,, bolt in is a good cheaper option, and you can weld it in solid, its just a cage kit,,, or try custom cages in the uk (google!), they will send you a weld in cage,
stay clear of dashdogers,,,
saw a lad a pd last year in fermoy,,, he was following, 1st car hit the tyres, bounced out arse first, the following car had no where to go but drivers door straight into the corner of the boot, there was a dash dodger in the car, and it came in about 8 inches,,, sheer fluke that he didnt loose a leg,

fuck that sounds bad i was recommended to stay away from them alright by some lads there really only for show haha