PDA

View Full Version : need a diff welded

copeyhagen
19-02-12, 17:39
my 1.8 is the r limited model eunos that supposedly came with the lsd as standard.

was just servicing it there and tried spinnin wheels and theyre moving in different directions. maybe somebody changed the diff over time or something.

so my guess is its the 1.8 open or viscous?

its got nct next week so after that im gonna get it welded.

anybody in dublin can do it?

cheers

will_c
19-02-12, 17:50
clutch packs could also be massively worn causing similar effect.

Can weld it for you if needs be, based in straffan. failing that, might have some other options for you like i used in trixtas mx5.

scallan
19-02-12, 17:58
All the mx5s came with torsen diffs and act like open d 1 wheel or all the wheels are off the ground Google it and ya should fond out a bit more

copeyhagen
19-02-12, 18:32
clutch packs could also be massively worn causing similar effect.

Can weld it for you if needs be, based in straffan. failing that, might have some other options for you like i used in trixtas mx5.

his was shimmed was it?

torsen any use for drifting or needs to be welded up?!

copeyhagen
19-02-12, 18:33
@scallan, see what you mean here

1.8 Miata Torsen LSD behaves just like an open differential - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pw2fKt_0As)

scallan
19-02-12, 18:57
Ya that's it she should leave 2 marks in the dry up the road either I fond it hard to keep it locked somtimes and was thinking of changing to a welded. U should try pick up an open diff to weld cos a good lot of the torsens selling for around 300

copeyhagen
19-02-12, 19:28
did the 1.6s come with open?

mine doesnt lock too good.

would rather a welder

scallan
19-02-12, 19:33
Ya some of them do but ur better off trying get a 1.8 one as the 1.6 ones can cause problems

tweek
19-02-12, 19:57
Shim it I got a mate of mine to make up shims for Brian Egans mx5 and it done the trick pm me if y want his details

copeyhagen
19-02-12, 20:38
is that will c that posted above?

will_c
19-02-12, 23:40
yep i did the diff in brians car, shimming was the right job for it, fiddly but worth the effort. we were gonna weld it, but his was the 1.6 diff and there simply wasnt enough material to safely weld in my opinion. hence why i came up with the shim idea.

yours being 1.8 and a bigger diff will be better to weld - torsen diff construction also gives more material to weld. being a torsen diff also makes it more difficult to shim..

you could sell the torsen, get a 1.8 viscous and get that shimmed?

tweek
19-02-12, 23:52
We made the shims for brains diff will fitted them

copeyhagen
20-02-12, 08:50
yep i did the diff in brians car, shimming was the right job for it, fiddly but worth the effort. we were gonna weld it, but his was the 1.6 diff and there simply wasnt enough material to safely weld in my opinion. hence why i came up with the shim idea.

yours being 1.8 and a bigger diff will be better to weld - torsen diff construction also gives more material to weld. being a torsen diff also makes it more difficult to shim..

you could sell the torsen, get a 1.8 viscous and get that shimmed?

yeh i'm gonna try source a viscous diff and sell the torsen, will be onto you about welding the new one if thats cool ;)

We made the shims for brains diff will fitted them

cheers tweek.

will_c
20-02-12, 12:35
Cool no problem mate