PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild question (top end knock)

stebrady
19-02-12, 13:56
just lookin for some advice/info, i recently rebuilt my sr20det engine as the head gasket was blown, i replaced it with a cosworth gasket and had another head there skimmed with the valves in it. so i took the shims off the old head and put them on to the new head as i was going to be using the same cams. i know for a fact there was no knocking what so ever from the engine before the rebuild. i have not got around to checking the gaps with a feeler gauge yet. im just wondering has anyone experienced this and could i have caused it by transfering the shims and what should the gap be between the cams and shims? thanks

mr.jailbait
19-02-12, 14:59
blocked oilways in the head,above the cams,can cause a top end knock

check the cams for wear

Dunnedriftin
20-02-12, 00:52
'' so i took the shims off the old head and put them on to the new head as i was going to be using the same cams. i know for a fact there was no knocking what so ever from the engine before the rebuild. i have not got around to checking the gaps with a feeler gauge yet''

so you didnt check the tappet clearence and just put in the tappets / buckets out of the other head? Well sounds like thats your problem is thats what you did, sounds like too much tappet clearence & the buckets (if there soild, im not sure?) are just bouncing up & down when the valve isnt open.

DaveM-sport
20-02-12, 22:18
Reason you have shims is that the tolerances in every head is different!
The cams probably have the least effect on the shim needed.

Bradley_Motorworks
26-02-12, 17:16
VVT knock???

pepsterx
26-02-12, 17:27
I presume all of the lads suggesting "TAPPET" noise have seen an SR set up ???

twailbait
26-02-12, 17:48
Changing the headgasket does not count as rebuilding the engine!

feeker
28-02-12, 20:26
y didnt u use the old head ? and since u used a diffrent head y didnt u keep its own conponents on it ? not given out r anything just wondering ??:confused: