PDA

View Full Version : Best Diff Ratio for 180sx?

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 01:57
Right lads so im kinda thinking of changing the ratio in my car because i seem to be struggling a bit on tight tracks . the car has a standard power at the min also.. what would be the best ratio to go for?

Thanks

Quealy
17-02-12, 02:07
Its a 4.1 at the minute is it?

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 02:13
I dno im not sure whats in it at all.. is 4.1 standard?

Robbie Daly Ps13
17-02-12, 02:17
How do u expect people to know what diff u should have in if u don't know what's in it now yourself....

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 02:20
wel im presuming its standard robbie...

Mac_C
17-02-12, 02:52
wel im presuming its standard robbie...

Pull the plate off the diff and count the teeth on the crown wheel and divide it by the no off teeth on the pinion .

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 04:31
I pretty sure its standard the guy who i bought it off got it from japan as a bog standard road car not modded... but ill giv it check anyway

thegosson
17-02-12, 08:20
As far as I know a standard 180sx diff is 3.9 (long as the day) am I right in thinking this?

chrisb
17-02-12, 08:37
As far as I know a standard 180sx diff is 3.9 (long as the day) am I right in thinking this?

no an s13 200sx is 3.9
a 180sx is 4.1

Frankae86
17-02-12, 08:44
Right lads so im kinda thinking of changing the ratio in my car because i seem to be struggling a bit on tight tracks . the car has a standard power at the min also.. what would be the best ratio to go for?

Thanks

Changing the diff wont give you more power, what do you mean your struggling on tight tracks? If your on a tight track and have low power you'd be using second gear so a higher ratio cwp would be better id assume.

jeff nelson sileighty
17-02-12, 10:43
Changing the diff wont give you more power, what do you mean your struggling on tight tracks? If your on a tight track and have low power you'd be using second gear so a higher ratio cwp would be better id assume.

Id say he means shes bogging down in 2nd on tight tracks? Id say if ur on very tight tracks a 4.3 would be best and just sit in 2nd

LAGGER
17-02-12, 11:33
Find out what diff you have first you Retard
PS if your bogging in 2nd it must be a 3.7 or 3.9

B&G Extreme Drifting
17-02-12, 12:52
just spent 3-5mins on search engine, by looks of it you'v 4.1(mentioned more than once, prob over a thousand times)
I'm learning myself, no harm double checking jus to be certain, sure that google could be wrong :) let us know how u get on :)

alan sinnott
17-02-12, 13:00
Standard 180sx normally has a 3.9 I find a 4.1 a good all-round ratio.

B&G Extreme Drifting
17-02-12, 13:54
Standard 180sx normally has a 3.9 I find a 4.1 a good all-round ratio.
whoops lucky I said double check sorry for false info sure at least I tried help instead of tryin get a dig at ya

Frankae86
17-02-12, 14:15
Bogging down in second must be a really tight track, try using the clutch and plenty of right foot

Driftma
17-02-12, 14:16
what size wheels and tyres are you using?

skinnynphats200
17-02-12, 14:23

Can I just confirm here; A 4.3 & 4.1 (being higher ratio) would be much shorter gearing than a 3.7 or 3.9 (lower ratio)??. This is what I always thought. So do you not mean a lower ratio cwp? Or am I wrong?

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 14:35
what size wheels and tyres are you using?

im using a 17x9 rim using a 225-45-17 tyre...

what jeff said is right. just bogging down on really tight cornors trying to get going again..

Frankae86
17-02-12, 14:39
Yeah your dead right but what i was saying was take WGH for example (ive never been on a tighter track) Alan said he finds the 4:1 the most all round i like the 4:3 but on the very fast tracks you do run out of legs a bit in 3rd alright.

Its a bit of a catch 22 for Prodrifter because if he is finding hairpins tough with his long second and fits a 4:3 3rd gear will be way too far away and then his 2nd wont be long enough for most conrners.

I suppose id check what cwp i have, if its a 3.9 try the 4.1 and i could work out very well actually.... Hmmmm what i was on about at all :rolleyes:

Il also say this a load of times drivers hit tracks with the wrong gearing and you just adjust your driving to suit... ie gear changing and clutch kicking...

Driftma
17-02-12, 14:44
im using a 17x9 rim using a 225-45-17 tyre...

what jeff said is right. just bogging down on really tight cornors trying to get going again..

well theres your problem stright away, your using the same size tyres as lads with 400hp, go down to a 205/40 or 45 and you feel a big differance

PeterT
17-02-12, 15:42
What driftma said!
Bang some little tyres on and/or clutch kick more :)!

thegosson
17-02-12, 16:25
pretty sure the sr20det manual is a 3.9
altho theres so much conflicting info out there its hard to know what is what? get Dan Moorhead to do his sweet little trick and count it for ya to be sure to be sure. ya never really know if the ratio was changed before you got your hands on it. if i were you id pop in a 4.3 and knock some craic out of the power that's in the car.

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 17:30
well theres your problem stright away, your using the same size tyres as lads with 400hp, go down to a 205/40 or 45 and you feel a big differance

yeah but there pretty much no thread on tyres as there free part worns... i also use 205-40-17's and it can kinda struggle a tiny bit less than the bigger tyre but i havent used those in Kiltorcan yet. maybe thats worth the try the next time.. i dont really get near the limiter eithier so the final drive much a bit longer... i do lots and lots of clutch kicking aswel..

Also what ratio is in a S15 Spec S open diff?? theres one in my shed belonging to a neighour

wel i have to get 3 different things for the car but only can afford one at the minute so i said id put this thread up for some info

Stevo
17-02-12, 17:55
You dont need to go counting teeth its stamped on the diff, check what you have first other wise its a how long is a peice of string job :rolleyes:
Standard power on tight track 4.3 ratio mondello and the likes 4.1-3.9 ratio

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 18:06
You dont need to go counting teeth its stamped on the diff, check what you have first other wise its a how long is a peice of string job :rolleyes:
Standard power on tight track 4.3 ratio mondello and the likes 4.1-3.9 ratio

Yea thats what ill do ... ill check it and go from there . get a hydro first and then a different ratio and try a smaller tyre!

thegosson
17-02-12, 18:27
this may help if its accurate. might be another one for stickying :afro:
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-63-1222760280_thumb.jpghttp://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-63-1222760301_thumb.jpg

links
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=171907
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=171908

ian g sr20
17-02-12, 18:59
bit more power into out of engine y are u messing around with diffs?

S15 TURBO.
FRONT MOUNT
BOOST CONTROOLER
FULL 3'' EX
ETC
1BAR AND AWAY U GO WILL SKID ALL DAY WITH 17'' WHEELS.

Famous jh
17-02-12, 18:59
Drive harder :D

Kiltorcan is such a tight bastard of a track your always gonna have to be smackin the clutch a bit more than usual...

Oh yea, up the tyre pressures too maybe!

joey banana s14
17-02-12, 19:21
im finding myself playing around with diffs with the new car i had a 4:3 but found it way too short i was doing all goldstone in 3rd which can be scary haha ive a 4;1 now and still spend alot of time in 3rd but im a very plant the shoe and clutch kick driver so hard to know whatl suit you but if get a 4:1 smaller tyre size and up the pressure and your ball size a small bit youl be flying in no time :wink:

Prodrifter86
17-02-12, 22:06
bit more power into out of engine y are u messing around with diffs?

S15 TURBO.
FRONT MOUNT
BOOST CONTROOLER
FULL 3'' EX
ETC
1BAR AND AWAY U GO WILL SKID ALL DAY WITH 17'' WHEELS.

Hey dude i cant afford an s15 turbo or power upgrades at the minute.. thats why i was thinking of getting a different like welded diff with a different ratio..

but yea thanks for all the info lads it defo someting to go by now!

decobyrne106
18-02-12, 00:21
tbh it'll make your car alot slower and theres alot more going on then just changing gears. mike fitz never changed the diff ratio in his sileighty all that he changed was gear. just stretch it's legs and give it a gear when needed!

podgedun
18-02-12, 10:39
As was said, more pressure in the tires will help,

bart
18-02-12, 11:26
Jhn boost hickey used to run 50 in rear of his car when it was standard enough.. Smoked the place out of it

skinnynphats200
18-02-12, 12:04
Just thought i'd stick up a post seeing as its here. So I have a 4.3 in my car and 400 hp and I found it pretty spot on in Mondello the other day. It was perfect gearing for 4th gear entry but it was a bit short in second coming out of Honda/Ford, I was on the limiter straight away nearly. So I take it a 4.1 would be ideal Maybe??????
Ans so what diff should I be using for the likes of Ennis/Fermoy etc.....never driven there before??????

2tonne
18-02-12, 12:14
Just thought i'd stick up a post seeing as its here. So I have a 4.3 in my car and 400 hp and I found it pretty spot on in Mondello the other day. It was perfect gearing for 4th gear entry but it was a bit short in second coming out of Honda/Ford, I was on the limiter straight away nearly. So I take it a 4.1 would be ideal Maybe??????
Ans so what diff should I be using for the likes of Ennis/Fermoy etc.....never driven there before??????

Your car is a skyline which came with a 4.3 diff and a gearbox geared to suit...
comparing skyline diff ratios to ones on a 180 is pointless to get roughly the same gearing jump as 4.3 in an s body - in an r32 you would you would need over 4.5:1.

nikkisixx69
18-02-12, 12:29
keep it in 1st lad

:p

tweek
18-02-12, 13:49
@nikki would you not put it in third when parking on a hill ;-)
The lads are talking about drifting here not hard parking ;-)

mr.jailbait
18-02-12, 14:31
tbh it'll make your car alot slower and theres alot more going on then just changing gears. mike fitz never changed the diff ratio in his sileighty all that he changed was gear. just stretch it's legs and give it a gear when needed!

how does higher gearing make it slower?

it'll accelerate faster,but have a lower top speed.

this isnt rallying,where flat out 5th gear is regular.

nikkisixx69
18-02-12, 14:43
@nikki would you not put it in third when parking on a hill ;-)
The lads are talking about drifting here not hard parking ;-)

haha buuuurrn! them days are over i promise :p

MissSuz
18-02-12, 14:50
Out of allllll the thread's I read on DI this has to be the most confusing! :(

Haven't a clue what Diff Ratio means :(

Id like to learn tho if someone wants to enlighten me in Simple terms so I have an idea

podgedun
18-02-12, 15:14
Out of allllll the thread's I read on DI this has to be the most confusing! :(

Haven't a clue what Diff Ratio means :(

Id like to learn tho if someone wants to enlighten me in Simple terms so I have an idea

Simple man terms susan,

higher the number = shorter gear = faster acceleration = lower stop speed i.e 4:3

lower the number = longer gears = less acceleration = higher top speed i.e 3:7

Understand??

calicagesracing
18-02-12, 15:28
Your car is a skyline which came with a 4.3 diff and a gearbox geared to suit...
comparing skyline diff ratios to ones on a 180 is pointless to get roughly the same gearing jump as 4.3 in an s body - in an r32 you would you would need over 4.5:1.

The gear set in the rb20 box is the same as sr as far as I know.
Either way if you don't want to hit the limiter dropping down the cwp is the way to go so 4.1 would be ideal in the skyline

2tonne
18-02-12, 15:41
The gear set in the rb20 box is the same as sr as far as I know.
Either way if you don't want to hit the limiter dropping down the cwp is the way to go so 4.1 would be ideal in the skyline

The gear ratio's are definitely NOT the same in Sr and rb boxes.
And who was talking about limiters?

MissSuz
18-02-12, 16:01
Simple man terms susan,

higher the number = shorter gear = faster acceleration = lower stop speed i.e 4:3

lower the number = longer gears = less acceleration = higher top speed i.e 3:7

Understand??

Yeah I have more of an Idea now , Thanks ;)

calicagesracing
18-02-12, 20:09
@2tonne, I stand corrected then

Re limiter, this man was talking about it:

skinnynphats200
18-02-12, 20:10

I was, hitting the limiter in 2nd coming out of Honda very quick.....

calicagesracing
18-02-12, 20:13
^^yes, that man lol^^

Famous jh
18-02-12, 21:49

If there not the same they are very very very close! So close the difference isn't worth talkin about!

As bart said I ran 50psi most of the time in my near standard power 14 an flew around the place! Ennis an fermoy I had a 3:7 which was perfect for the second gear tracks they were.

Then for rest of the season I had a 4:3 which took a very commited driving style to make 3rd work in punchestown, in saying that I could do the whole track in 3rd but most of the time I changed back to second for the tight bits.. That was on 225/45/17 Federals... Plus I totally disagree with what Marty said early on in the thread, you don't need 400hp to run that size tyre!!

Basically what I'm tryin to say is high tyre pressures an don't drive like a feckin pussy......!

2tonne
18-02-12, 22:14
apologies kyle I totally misread your post...
your completely right a 4.1 will stop you hitting the limiter as fast.
I may be wrong on the ratios being different, i wouldnt bet my own money on it.
At the end of the day its whatever makes you drive happy

joey banana s14
18-02-12, 22:14
If there not the same they are very very very close! So close the difference isn't worth talkin about!

As bart said I ran 50psi most of the time in my near standard power 14 an flew around the place! Ennis an fermoy I had a 3:7 which was perfect for the second gear tracks they were.

Then for rest of the season I had a 4:3 which took a very commited driving style to make 3rd work in punchestown, in saying that I could do the whole track in 3rd but most of the time I changed back to second for the tight bits.. That was on 225/45/17 Federals... Plus I totally disagree with what Marty said early on in the thread, you don't need 400hp to run that size tyre!!

Basically what I'm tryin to say is high tyre pressures an don't drive like a feckin pussy......!

best bit of advice on this by far...up the pressures ,,let your balls drop and make it happen:cool::cool:

paulr5
19-02-12, 00:23
Imo 4.1 ;)

Hijack
do you not find when you have the tyre pressure say 50+ that the tyres last f**k all and start blisterin or de-laminating, keep hearing lads say say up the pressure. but ye must have deep tyre pits :huh:

barryl
19-02-12, 09:49
Mondello 4:1
Ennis 3:7
Fermoy 3:7
Punchestown 3:7

Thats what i have used in the past with a rb25 box.. always seemed get me out off trouble :) my 2 cent

joey banana s14
19-02-12, 12:32
Mondello 4:1
Ennis 3:7
Fermoy 3:7
Punchestown 3:7

Thats what i have used in the past with a rb25 box.. always seemed get me out off trouble :) my 2 cent

how did the 3:7 work out in punchestown barry were you doing most in 3rd or just the last half...what power was your lady running??

Prodrifter86
19-02-12, 15:01

woooooooooooooo doctorrrrrr! lets do it:afro:

decobyrne106
19-02-12, 16:57
how does higher gearing make it slower?

it'll accelerate faster,but have a lower top speed.

this isnt rallying,where flat out 5th gear is regular.

yes but it's not a vtec either! theres a reason why all v8's etc are running 4 speed boxes not just for durability for the fact your not changing gears every 10 seconds! your last few post on the forums have seen a bit touchy. someone piss in your cornflakes?