PDA

View Full Version : Help! Is it the diff?

Bobbys14
05-11-09, 20:13
On my mates car there is a clunk coming from the rear of the car, the car even jumps at times from side to side slightly only dose it when you give a lil gas.

The diff locks fine and dosen't kick or do anything when in a drift.

Is it the Diff??

1-JAY-Z
05-11-09, 20:15
On my mates car there is a clunk coming from the rear of the car, the car even jumps at times from side to side slightly only dose it when you give a lil gas.

The diff locks fine and dosen't kick or do anything when in a drift.

Is it the Diff??

what car is it? cwp could be after breaking or chipping a few teeth? jack up the car so the 2 back wheels are off the ground spin the wheel with your hand see can you hear a metal against metal sound in where the diff is, suppose no harm to drain the oil and look for metal filings before you go stripping it,

OR

it could just be the normal workings of a very harsh diff like cusco or kaaz for instance

mick
05-11-09, 22:16
yea, what car is it???? if its a solid axled yoke like a cam, could be an incorectly ajusted panhard rod making it jump, and a fucked bush makin it knock!

Newsome
05-11-09, 23:09
My cusco diff done that untill i put different oil in it. Then it was fine.

Dreamworks-silvia
06-11-09, 00:09
bob my own silvia went like this realy bad clunking and banging in it thought the diff was fcuked and it got louder as the days went on thought the oil may have gone thin so changed the oil and its back to normal now

cobcorsa
06-11-09, 00:17
theck that all 5 nuts are on the wheels seriously one missing in my car and the same thing happens also 2 different width tires will do it too serious

Bobbys14
06-11-09, 03:05
what car is it? cwp could be after breaking or chipping a few teeth? jack up the car so the 2 back wheels are off the ground spin the wheel with your hand see can you hear a metal against metal sound in where the diff is, suppose no harm to drain the oil and look for metal filings before you go stripping it,

OR

it could just be the normal workings of a very harsh diff like cusco or kaaz for instance

Its a silvia s14a can't see it been the workings of the diff and it been driven in a straight line.. Thanks for all the advice everyone..

mick
06-11-09, 11:19
if theres a tooth gone on the crownwheel, itll affect it in a straight line aswel:rolleyes:

eileen
10-11-09, 08:01
might sound like a silly question but are you running the same tyres on each side?

nissan_doctor
10-11-09, 11:47
Its a silvia s14a can't see it been the workings of the diff and it been driven in a straight line.. Thanks for all the advice everyone..

The diff is transmitting the power to the wheels, straight line or not so it could be the diff.

Check the rear subframe bushes as well.

cobcorsa
10-11-09, 16:13
might sound like a silly question but are you running the same tyres on each side?

yeah that makes a big difference

Bobbys14
10-11-09, 18:15

It not a silly question for my mate cause he actualy has different weidth tyre's on the raer just checked he so stupid,

He got new alloys so see what it like when they go on..

eileen
10-11-09, 19:12
well tyres on an aftermarket diff have to be the same.
if you have 17/45/215 on the left rear you need 17/45/215 on the right ;)

cobcorsa
10-11-09, 20:10
problem solved id say

eileen
10-11-09, 20:18
problem solved id say

cool :D good to hear! hope he didnt run like that too long caus it might have fucked my bearing in there... could be wrong tho.

Bobbys14
10-11-09, 22:09
He's a dummy told him not to be usin different tyres that it couldn't be good for it in some way but i didn't tink it would effect the diff like this thou..

mick
10-11-09, 22:13
thats your problem, even if there slightly differently worn itll feel wierd and jump round the place, woudnt count on it causing the noise though..