PDA

View Full Version : Welded or 2way?

Kev-200sx
12-01-12, 15:49
This question has prob been asked loads of times and might seem stupid but anyway driving a 200sx with a standard diff in it and want to know if I should get a welded diff or a 2way? Will a welded make sh#t of bushings ect.? I'm not too keen on payin a couple of hundred quid for a 2way way that's gona do same thing as a cheap welded diff. Advantages and disadvantages of each? Any help appreciated.

juice
12-01-12, 16:20
Weld away, be grand.

peterhouze
12-01-12, 16:26
weld it

RedlineKits
12-01-12, 16:37
mines welded.. its grand but a cunt for parkin

batman026
12-01-12, 17:42
mig spec FTW

thegosson
12-01-12, 17:54
Is it for road use or track only? I'm just trying to work out in my head how the machine works in the Nct center for testing brakes...... Something tells me that problems might arise when doing such a test.. I could be wrong but might be worth looking into, or just keep your standard one for when it needs testing

Oh and I'd suggest arc welding rather than mig for this job if you do decide to weld it.

kenny046
12-01-12, 18:01
Is it for road use or track only? I'm just trying to work out in my head how the machine works in the Nct center for testing brakes...... Something tells me that problems might arise when doing such a test.. I could be wrong but might be worth looking into, or just keep your standard one for when it needs testing

Oh and I'd suggest arc welding rather than mig for this job if you do decide to weld it.

when you have a 2 way or a welded diff for the nct you can request to do the break test outside thats what i used to do with my ae86 it had a harsh 2 way in it and i always passed

barryl
12-01-12, 19:10
Road- 2-way
Track -Weld

dermot-r32
12-01-12, 19:16

its a road car he has...weld it lad.sure you have my diff for test then. :)

Kev-200sx
12-01-12, 20:02
Sound lads it's a road car at the moment but will be going on tracks this year,prob keep it track only after nct runs out,which is end of this year, and as Dermot said I have a spare just incase. Think I'll just weld her :D

20vees
12-01-12, 20:11
weld it , i have a welded for the last 8months grand lad, just a bit of tyre hop when parking,a secound hand 2way could pack up at anytime.
stick weld it( arc) try to use 29.9 rods these are for high tension steel(which is what your welding) a open diff is very easy to weld, a viscous is a bit more time consuming.

Kev-200sx
12-01-12, 20:18
weld it , i have a welded for the last 8months grand lad, just a bit of tyre hop when parking,a secound hand 2way could pack up at anytime.
stick weld it( arc) try to use 29.9 rods these are for high tension steel(which is what your welding) a open diff is very easy to weld, a viscous is a bit more time consuming.

Cheers for tips lads.

dermot-r32
12-01-12, 22:08
the diff i gave you is a viscous lad i THINK.might be worth opening it and checking..was a very very good diff for an open one!!! always locked in 2nd

20vees
12-01-12, 22:13
the diff i gave you is a viscous lad i THINK.might be worth opening it and checking..was a very very good diff for an open one!!! always locked in 2nd

probally an extra shim in it, viscous with alot of abused will shit itself all over the road ...or a 1.5/2way you sold him lol

dermot-r32
12-01-12, 23:34
probally an extra shim in it, viscous with alot of abused will shit itself all over the road ...or a 1.5/2way you sold him lol

was thinking there might be a extra shim but never bothered checking.ha.ill be kicking myself if its a 1.5!!!!:mad: hahaha

niallf18
12-01-12, 23:46
i wouldnt weld the diff if your keepin it on the road, no comfort for every day driving, 2 much hassle driving it in the wet you wouldnt be able keep it in a straight line, good craic but ull end up pucking it off sumthn in my opinion.

PepperS13
12-01-12, 23:51
diff is welded in my s14 and i drive it daily and not a bother on it, wouldnt waste money on a 2 way fella!!...ive a mate who shims diffs if you want to go that route equally as good and locks everytime you want it to

paulr5
13-01-12, 23:15
MIG spec X7. fun in the wet tho.

you can shim it by 1mm and it will lock just as good without the hipppidy hop on tight turns and drivin around town + nct friendly ;)
max shim 1.5 after that they eat the shim

pduane
14-01-12, 20:27
Road- 2-way
Track -Weld

2nd that

GERRYSX
15-01-12, 00:56
weld it solid lad, i had my s13 welded on the road, they never fail to lock thats for sure:p

m3con
15-01-12, 01:37
Road- 2-way
Track -Weld

Totally agree dunno bout down the country
But up here the Garda traffic corps check
Diffs they jus tell ya to swing round to
other side of the road if she skips the
tyres they be impounding it

Johnie
16-01-12, 16:49
A 2 way could skip the tyres too. I've had both welded and 2 way in my car on the road and I think a welded is fine for road, never had any control issues with the welded diff, driving for about 1.5 years.

Kev-200sx
18-01-12, 22:28
Well that's that lads, going to weld her, cheers for advice.