PDA

View Full Version : Age out shining talent

s13-ste
01-06-09, 23:00
im getting a bit annoyed reading "that 13 year old".
Dont get me wrong Dwayne McKever was on fire all weekend and 100% impressed pretty much everyone there.

but is the fact he is only 13 and in 6th class in school the reason he is been talked about instead of is mass amounts of talent?
it was the same story with James Dean. "oh he is only 16 and able to do that".

it will be a real shame for him to be known for his age over his skilz

Dunnedriftin
01-06-09, 23:05
i agree full with ya ste!!

pt_y2k
01-06-09, 23:06
one thing for sure it aint good for no 13yr olds confidence to be in such a lime light that young...he;ll think he's king shit by 18!!! fair play to the young lad to put so much pressure being the following driver in tsuiso this weekned but if we all had rich daddys well we could be like that too....

Nicky
01-06-09, 23:07
He may be "that 13 year old", but as he's only into the drifting a matter of 6 months or so, he has the talent to back up the hype, which to me levels it all out..

Dunnedriftin
01-06-09, 23:08
one thing im still stuck on, thought the minimum age for prodrift was 15... :confused:

did they change the rules this year? :rolleyes:

Nicky
01-06-09, 23:09
one thing for sure it aint good for no 13yr olds confidence to be in such a lime light that young...he;ll think he's king shit by 18!!! fair play to the young lad to put so much pressure being the following driver in tsuiso this weekned but if we all had rich daddys well we could be like that too....

Bit harsh there lad, considering the fact that the young fella went ones earned on his own accord to seek advice from 1 of the SWRC Division 1 drivers on how he can improve his driving, something which money cant buy...

pt_y2k
01-06-09, 23:13
its no doubt the young lad has talent,and the thing i admire most of him is what i said above,the fact he can apply pressure being the following driver in tsuiso,take takes serious skill but its a fact he wouldnt be there if he wasnt from wealthy background....

s13-ste
01-06-09, 23:15
but if we all had rich daddys well we could be like that too....

think you have a green eye there mate.
if you want to be able to put in the seat time work your ass off and find sponsership.

pt_y2k
01-06-09, 23:23
i do work my ass off,and pay for all my drifting habits,same as alot if not most people,what im trying to say is alot of us were probally well able to drive when in our early teens and if had wealthy backgrounds would love to be in the position he is now but couldnt....the question your asking is the hype bout his age or his talent ya?? in what im saying above the hype is his age....

good thread...;);)

Stevo
01-06-09, 23:31
Gud thread ste;)
Well i think the hype is because he's so fookin gud FOR his age... The lad can slide as good as any semi pro can and he hugged that wall both ways and not even bon got anywhere near as close to the wall:p:D

Administrator
01-06-09, 23:34

Bit harsh there lad, considering the fact that the young fella went ones earned on his own accord to seek advice from 1 of the SWRC Division 1 drivers on how he can improve his driving, something which money cant buy...

Bit harsh indeed.

I was looking at Dywane in Nutts in January and chatting to Fergal McGovern (who went out for a run or two with him on the day) about him and he couldn't get over his talent and determination and told me he would definitely be one to watch in the future.

But there is the little point of him probably not having to worry a lot about the money should he smash the car as I'm sure he's not in steady employment :p but he certainly can drive there's no doubt about that. A great talent

Nicky
01-06-09, 23:38
Fergal will tell you as quick as anyone else that was there Darragh, no one else wanted to be on the track with Duane the first time he had the S13 out.. He was all over the place and pretty wreckless..

He knew it though, and wasnt long in heading for Fergal to seek advice, which Fergal gladly gave him...

Now look at him.. He's taken every bit of experience, knowledge, info etc that other drifters (including his uncle Chubby McCord) into consideration and put it to good effect by becoming the young sensation he is today...

skinny d
01-06-09, 23:40
All I can say is that the boys got skillz . But if you think of it , if anyone is given the right tools from an early age , they can all get as good as he is .... for their age. You know , with the likes of soccer and rugby and golf etc etc ......

If two people , a 13year old and a 17year old , started at the same time , trained the same amount with equal cars , track etc etc ..... the 13year old would get more hype ..... therefore I think its the age factor ... fuck I'm kinda lost now , but ye get me .

pt_y2k
01-06-09, 23:47
, if anyone is given the right tools from an early age .

exactly what im saying,no doubt he's got exceptional skill and determined but money talks.....

Barry
01-06-09, 23:52
I was watching the lad out on saturday evening and regardless of the 'free car, tyres ect. ect.' argument a few have made i belive that none of that matters when your between the start and finish line of the track, he really has got talent so i think the hype is for his talent at that age, not just one or the other if that made any sence :D:D

PeterT
02-06-09, 00:08
lads, thats balls about if you had the car and tools etc at that age wed all be that good. watching him i was thinking how feckin good he is, he was NAILING the clipping points sooo good in the practice and qualifying better than most the rest.

its the fact hes so good for his age as stevo said, most people need loads of time to get to that stage, i just cant get over his driving tbh

Administrator
02-06-09, 00:19
most people need loads of time to get to that stage, i just cant get over his driving tbh

+1

He was nailing everything to be honest. I've been drifting the same length of time as him and if I jumped in his S13 in Punchestown it'd be in a bad way and so would the barriers

Rosa
02-06-09, 10:44
That boy is exceptional for his age, can't wait to see him at future events as he is to only get even better, and as already said i think its the fact he is that good at his age

will_c
02-06-09, 11:03
i dunno imo age means shit,as someone said the only thing that matters between the start finish line is talent and the kid has that in abundance.as for the money argument,that comes across to me as a bit of jealousy.lads motorsport of any sort is not cheap,ok this kid has help but if you love the sport and want to do it more than anything you'll work your ass off to get it..fuck this recession like,as it stands at the moment i work 3 jobs to get up the dollar to finish my s13,like i don't have time to be going out or be on here but tbh i don't give a shit coz i know it'll all be worth it when im in the drivers seat..so stop being a keyboard warrior get your ass out and find a job even if it is the shittest job ever and stop worrying about those better off,life is far too short for that shit. As danni said to me on saturday the only things thats important is drifting and dancing,she's dead right!(and fookin class but thats another threads worth :p)

laney
02-06-09, 11:37
the boy has serious skills not one person can deny him that i think why hes referrred to as "the 13yr old" is cuz nobody knew who he was or cud remember his name - a basic innocent mistake , but nobodys gonna be able to forgte his skill hence why the hype about mr mckeever

pt_y2k
02-06-09, 12:36
@ willc keyboard warrior? go way ya fairy this is a simple discussion....

agree with everyone bout the kids talent,its unreal but i just think if he wasnt brought outta the woodwork so young he wouldnt be as much as a hype....i just simply cant get over how well he applied pressure to mike deane was it?? being a 13yr old i thought it was crazy!!:D:D

EvojeepGal
02-06-09, 13:16

1) Who cares wot he thinks by time he's 18, a lot can change in 5years!! And if he keeps up the good work he deserves to have a big head! BUT teres not 1 guy on track that thinks his shit dont stink regardless of all their stories so i doubt this will happen.

2) Thats just a pure jealous point there as Will already spotted, plus if you knew half of the truth you'd know theres no need for that comment.
The car he has was won by his uncle (Sean Mc Keever) in a raffle, and Sean gave the young lad the car which was a brilliant suggestion i thinks.

Its all about getting a break and he's just lucky he's had the chance at such a young age

He may be "that 13 year old", but as he's only into the drifting a matter of 6 months or so, he has the talent to back up the hype, which to me levels it all out..

Also slightly incorrect, I think he's only in that particualr car about 6months and on track but the young lads been in the fields since he could reach pedals :D

Simple point is yes he is the shit & yes he can bloody drive and put it up to the big boys, age is just a number and if he can use that to his advantage to gain sponsors he's got a head on his shoulders too.

PeterT
02-06-09, 13:29
1) Who cares wot he thinks by time he's 18, a lot can change in 5years!! And if he keeps up the good work he deserves to have a big head! BUT teres not 1 guy on track that thinks his shit dont stink regardless of all their stories so i doubt this will happen.

2) Thats just a pure jealous point there as Will already spotted, plus if you knew half of the truth you'd know theres no need for that comment.
The car he has was won by his uncle (Sean Mc Keever) in a raffle, and Sean gave the young lad the car which was a brilliant suggestion i thinks.

Its all about getting a break and he's just lucky he's had the chance at such a young age

Also slightly incorrect, I think he's only in that particualr car about 6months and on track but the young lads been in the fields since he could reach pedals :D

Simple point is yes he is the shit & yes he can bloody drive and put it up to the big boys, age is just a number and if he can use that to his advantage to gain sponsors he's got a head on his shoulders too.

boom boom and boom. lock it up, thats the hit of the hole fruit right there in every manner!

lsd32
02-06-09, 13:51
i thinks hes a totally great little guy.All the drivers from where i was were routing for him and he got great applause when he came off track and deservidely so.He had a big grin from ear to ear driving off and more power to him and i for one will give him any help i can at further rounds as kids like him need encouragment not critisim.so quit the slating of him because how many guys could compete to his level now if they got given a car 6 months ago???????? not to many i suspect.:)

Tekno Twinky
02-06-09, 15:11
I reffered to the lil fella as 13 yr old in my post yesterday on "Punchestown" but thats cause i forgot his name ?? Wasnt arsed google'n for it...

Its like this... if your in PRODRIFT your gonna be somewhat of a PRO at slide'n so saying anybody has or hasnt got skills is a little blunt ? maybe some are better at judging angle,speed breaking and positioning better but to be sick of him being known as the 13yr old i think is wrong?

I think of him as the 13yr old.. What else makes him more distinguishable ?

James Deanne - Champ
McNamara - Hero
Johny P - Balls out
Wez Keating - Rich man turned PRO drifter
Mike Dean - James Deanes bro:p

etc etc

Simple as that imo

serious tom
02-06-09, 16:17
lol pressure on me and skinny D to get a car asap while we are this young :p

from what i hear this guy is the LAWDDDDD:cool:
fair play to him

pt_y2k
02-06-09, 17:47
but is the fact he is only 13 and in 6th class in school the reason he is been talked about instead of is mass amounts of talent?
it was the same story with James Dean. "oh he is only 16 and able to do that".

@evojeepgal that was the question asked....i never dissed the young lads talent or made jealous comments,i aint jealous in no form or way,i thought he was class last sunday...the simple point i made is that if he was older when his talent was realised the hype woundnt be as much,hence imo the answer to that question is his age is the reason he's been talked about,just my opinion,not jealousy....

Nicky
02-06-09, 17:55

True, but previsou driving experience definately didnt show when he got on the track, regardless of how long we was throwing the motors about the field.

As far as i'd be concerned, the young fella has picked it all up since starting out late last year, and has become a phenomenal drifter since, so for that, he gets full respect and kudos from me for coming on as far as he has in such a short time.

I cant wait to see how he gets on this season in the UDC, as he has already proved to be a HUGE threat to the other drifters who in some cases have been at it for a few years... :D

Davie
02-06-09, 18:03
well on sunday i didnt know who he was as i just came out of the toilets,i thought he was unreal,only after his run i found out he was 13,so the 13year old can be known as the 13year old but as as said already he was closer to the barrier than bon,not many people have this talent even if some daddys had endless money to throw at there kid they still might not be able to pick it up! fair fooks

EvojeepGal
03-06-09, 01:07
@evojeepgal ...the simple point i made is that if he was older when his talent was realised the hype woundnt be as much,

Thats fair, the jealousy comment was not specifically aimed at u nor anyone in particular for tat matter, but if he came out of nowhere at 17 with the same skills he'd still be talked about, like a couple of other lads ive seen and competed against over the years, the commentators try have names etc on us all to try differenciate us, well im not too hard to be different but u get the idea;)
Nothin wrong with continuing to comment on the chaps age as its attention for him and the skills and talent Ireland has to offer

True, but previsou driving experience definately didnt show when he got on the track, regardless of how long we was throwing the motors about the field.

I dont mean to laugh while reading this, nothin personal but that makes absolutely no sense!
If he wasn't thrashing cars around a field and learning to drive their in the first place how the hell is he to know the weight shifting of a car etc etc etc....?!!!
U can be gauranteed he had a rwd rolling around the grass, but sure as u say, "Previous driving experience" is of absolutely no benefit to noone haha:rolleyes:

retro head
03-06-09, 20:39
the kids got talent fact,and rightly so people are talkin about him so much cos of his age if he can drive like that now at 13 whats he gonna be like in a few years?he will be class

also no one can deny the fact that if someone like that didnt have a father or uncles or whatever that were there to get him in to motorsport no one would know anything about him,its not like there sendin scouts to lads in farmyards and fields tearing round in cars to see if there any good either ye start young because youve got family supportin you or start late like most of us when ye get a job and money to pursue your expensive hobbys stop goin to he pub every weekend with your childhood friends and break away from the great gaa dynasty in your area and basically piss everyone off that knows ye!

Nicky
04-06-09, 00:48
U can be gauranteed he had a rwd rolling around the grass, but sure as u say, "Previous driving experience" is of absolutely no benefit to noone haha:rolleyes:

As i said previously, when he first came out on the track, i wouldnt have guessed he had ever driven a rear wheel drive car due to many reasons.. I didnt say his previous experience was of no benefit to him, i just said it didnt show in any way...

Read whats on the screen ;)

End of the day, i dont care how long he has been driving, or what his background is; all i know is that right now he is 1 of the most talented drifters on the scene, which is made even more incredible by his young age..

Like every other post though, this is just a matter of personal opinion, so dont be getting too ratty about it..

skinny d
04-06-09, 01:54
lol pressure on me and skinny D to get a car asap while we are this young :p

I'm -a - workin on it ! :D

When I first got in on Sunday , I headed straight for the track where young McKeever was out practising ..... I thought there was something strange about the way he looked in the car , so small.... then I heard the commentary ... lol

It was cool though , cos he went balls out .... you can see that he ain't been at it for years , but its cool cos he just gos for it anyway . Very exciting driver to watch !:cool:

chrisb
04-06-09, 09:10
wee lad has an amazing amount of tallent for that age and very grown up for his age.

best twin battle ive had was against him last month, after passing him on the first run i knew he was going to be trying super hard behind me, the pressure he had me under was unreal, much more than when i was against chubby in the v8 or bradley(2008champ)

i know where others are coming from though, jealously does creap into it and im not affraid to admit it, both him and i started competitive drifting three months ago but in those three months he has had alot more experiance cause hes been over to edc and to prodrift, i wish i could afford it.

Tekno Twinky
04-06-09, 09:54
the kids got talent fact,and rightly so people are talkin about him so much cos of his age if he can drive like that now at 13 whats he gonna be like in a few years?he will be class

also no one can deny the fact that if someone like that didnt have a father or uncles or whatever that were there to get him in to motorsport no one would know anything about him,its not like there sendin scouts to lads in farmyards and fields tearing round in cars to see if there any good either ye start young because youve got family supportin you or start late like most of us when ye get a job and money to pursue your expensive hobbys stop goin to he pub every weekend with your childhood friends and break away from the great gaa dynasty in your area and basically piss everyone off that knows ye!

:D

laney
04-06-09, 10:02

thats the shit rite there :D well said retro head :D

Carlie
04-06-09, 11:11
He is an unreal talent...
And the fact he is younger is always goin to be mentioned, because of his sheer talent!
I think he was unbelievable and deserves alot of credit for his courage to go out there with the big guns and do what he done!
I think there is alot of jealousy on this thread... and its sad!
Support ur own lads and cop on;)

retro head
04-06-09, 20:39
thats the shit rite there :D well said retro head :D

thanks dude, i may have been talkin about myself there.....

mick
05-06-09, 19:58
i think everyones gettin a bit excited by what people are saying here! noones tryin to piss on his pancakes! just stating that the kid got an amazing break! im sure theres been lots of tallent wasted over the years with people not getting the big break! but the fact is, wether he has money or not, hes a great young tallent and i think its fuckin whopper that prodrift allow such a young lad to compete! it really impresses me that theyre so willing to give lads a leg up into the world of motorsport! having said that, no matter how much carisma or skill the lad has, it costs to compete, and he aint competing on his paperround wage! i can only say, i wish my aul lad would have (or even was now) been as supportive as his benefactors are! clearly people are gonna be a little jealous! but thats a good thing is it not? help the lad apreciate how lucky he is! bet hes getting all the thirteen year old gash!!! hahah

EvojeepGal
07-06-09, 21:54
Put this in your pipes and smoke it....... Taken from Driftworks, fair fukin play to him!!:D:D:D

13yo Dwain McKeever wins UDC Round 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwain McKeever took 1st place at round 4 of the Ulster Drift Championships at Bishopscourt in his 1802s after beating Chubby McCord in the finals.

A very well deserved win, after displaying highly consistant and particularly agressive but controlled runs all day, Dwain has come leaps and bounds and not to be taken lightly at all.

1st - Duane McKeever
2nd - Chubby McCord
3rd - Paul Conlan
4th - Rob Barnett

Carlie
08-06-09, 00:38
Darragh please close this thread.
Because this is a load of shite.
Dwayne is UNREAL!!
And yea he'll always be known for his age!
SO what!!!!!
As Danni just posted...
Who won UDC today?
Yes Dwayne did!:D

Nicky
08-06-09, 00:41
Yeah, young Duane McKeever came out on top today with a well deserved win.

Fair play to him. He pushed hard and deserved the win from what i hear... :D

EvojeepGal
08-06-09, 00:43
"THAT" 13year old is SAVAGE :D:D:D:p:p:p

Carlie
08-06-09, 00:44

UNREALLLLL!
:p

s13-ste
08-06-09, 00:49

lads she is on fire tonght:p:p
smart arse

Ace
08-06-09, 14:58
Delighted to see Dwane winnin yday and savage for him that he beat his uncle in the final :-)
Cant wait to see him up in Nutts.

I spoke to him in Punchestown,he wanted as much feedback as he could get and was askin loads of people for their opinions and how he could do better.
As for the spoiled bit,if I was his father and knew how talented he is I'd be pumping money into him too. and its loads of advertisement for his Dad's business so money well spent!!

Lets hope that "13 yr old" sticks around!!

meego1
08-06-09, 16:07
i second that,best driving iv seen in a while. HE s hot property.

retro head
08-06-09, 18:12
Darragh please close this thread.
Because this is a load of shite.
Dwayne is UNREAL!!
And yea he'll always be known for his age!
SO what!!!!!
As Danni just posted...
Who won UDC today?
Yes Dwayne did!:D

chillax there a bit barbie as mick so quaintly put it no ones pissing on his pancakes everyone seems to be happy for him and wishin him luck and just sayin how it is, motorsport costs gs and its unlikely its his money is all,maybe it is who am i to say know nothing about the chap
@ace dont think anyone said he was spoiled either,as i said if your from a motorsport family there gonna help ye get your start nothing to do with being spoiled
anyway im done with this thread think i made my views clear

@mick "thirteen year old gash"?dont think gash and thirteen year old should be in the same sentance!

EvojeepGal
11-06-09, 19:20
chillax there a bit barbie

If i called u a dickhead without knowing u personally would u see the point im trying to make ^^^^^ No need for personal (wot i see as an insult) digs at another member for expressing their opinion in from what i read is far from argueing or shit stirring.
Grow the fuck up, name calling is for assholes that need to try better themselves by putting others down.

retro head
11-06-09, 21:26
If i called u a dickhead without knowing u personally would u see the point im trying to make ^^^^^ No need for personal (wot i see as an insult) digs at another member for expressing their opinion in from what i read is far from argueing or shit stirring.
Grow the fuck up, name calling is for assholes that need to try better themselves by putting others down.

WOW!hold on now ,namecalling,insults,digs??wtf?

read her bebo link and it should become clear i was not insulting her,this is an internet forum nothing should be taking to serious i wasnt trying to be condesending ,i wouldnt do that from behind a computer screen
if youve anything else to say pm me this is gone way off topic

sorry carlie if i insulted you twas not my intention

Nicky
11-06-09, 21:37
This has turned nearly as petty as the same thread on MNC.. lol

sil80drifter
11-06-09, 22:24
age means alot to do with this i fairness, if u see a 25 year old going out and learning to drift in one day theres nothing about it. one thing tho where did he get a car?

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 20:56
one thing tho where did he get a car?

If u read the thread this would answer your question more than once

s13-ste
15-06-09, 20:59
jesus dani you give out about this thread, then post in it every time you come on to the site,:rolleyes::p

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 21:02
He asked a question, i gave him an answer.

Dont get much time to browse everything and i get an email on reply, u want me to not bother instead?

s13-ste
15-06-09, 21:04
no, that not what i was saying and you know it before you try twist my words.

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 21:10
Love u too:p

s13-ste
15-06-09, 21:18
good now know your role and next time i ask you to bring me out skidding do it:D:D

ok if gone running for cover after telling her to know her role:D

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 21:20
Ill do an ass throw to u like i did to Ray yest!!

We weren't allowed to take passengers out yest...

s13-ste
15-06-09, 21:27
gayness i wanted to do some door hanging:D
saw ray shit himself alright

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 21:30
U want door hangin go after Opposite Cock!
U hang from a car wen driftin ur looking for a death wish, seen a bad one before.

We had a small course set up (somethin to hit the ass of cars off) and Richie moved it all, was a huge thing on safety yest

s13-ste
15-06-09, 21:33
U want door hangin go after Opposite Cock!
U hang from a car wen driftin ur looking for a death wish, seen a bad one before.

bhahahahaha DIFFING FTW:eek::eek::eek:
id have held on reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally tight:rolleyes:

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 21:35
Although if i charged a 5'er and was allowed take passengers id be minted lol

s13-ste
15-06-09, 21:35
pay for your new wheel:D

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 21:36
No new wheel fuk it, it's still holds air its grand!

s13-ste
15-06-09, 21:42
then no need to replace it.
more money for bdc and pd:D

EvojeepGal
15-06-09, 21:45
U offering to pay so

s13-ste
15-06-09, 21:47
yeah sure why not, do you take butter vouchers???
im due mine from the dole soon but being lactose intolerant i dont have much need for them