PDA

View Full Version : what are bmw 520 i like ????

joey banana s14
30-11-11, 00:58
ok just want feedback as one has poped up for small money its a 02 just ive heard lads giving out alot about them and would like to hear your horror storys and how hard are they on fuel any help really appreciated lads cheers

andy t
30-11-11, 02:35
electrics are shockin, friend had 1 & it went on fire for no reason while turned off.....
+ most bmw's are kettles 90% of da time ,

i still buy them the odd time cos i just dont really car bout that stuff

DaveM-sport
30-11-11, 12:13
electrics are shockin, friend had 1 & it went on fire for no reason while turned off.....
+ most bmw's are kettles 90% of da time ,

i still buy them the odd time cos i just dont really car bout that stuff

Sorry but thats pretty much a load of shite... Electrics are no worse than any other car. Apart from maybe the odd display crystals going and maybe a window regulator, they are fairly good.

And this kettle thing came about from people just buying shit cars that had no maintenance and drive them until they pack up with no attention to the cooling system which only would have needed maybe a new fan, waterpump at some stage and change of coolant at some stage.

520i are shite though if you are looking for something fun, far too heavy a car for just 140-150bhp and suspension is fairly boaty.
For some decent fun in an E34, you aren't at the races unless you have a 535i or M5 :D

Nice cars to just potter about in though.

andy t
30-11-11, 13:04
i was just talking from experience & what ive seen happen to them

DaveM-sport
30-11-11, 13:42
Suppose thats a fair point but there's plenty that are fine too...

But if we go by the 90% of them are kettles, we might as well say 90% of SR20s blow their bottom ends and coil-packs and other stupid shit etc too :p

joey banana s14
30-11-11, 22:27
cheers lads i shoulda specified its for a road car not driftcar;)

keith-n
30-11-11, 22:45
cheers lads i shoulda specified its for a road car not driftcar;)

Main thing is fan coupling, thermostat and water pump. Done at regular intervill's and your laughin. The 520 is always more sluggish than the higher spec models, because its dragging (or pushing in this case) a much bigger shell than say a 3.

That said, their still nippy enough. As dave said, crystalisation of some displays are a problem. This time of year window regs tend to go, but they go in all cars at some stage. The electrics just spontainiously combusting is a freak case, i'd put my house on someone having interfered with the elecs in that car.

Mick K
30-11-11, 22:52
Buy my 525 msport