PDA

View Full Version : screamer pipe?

anto180
24-10-09, 12:48
wat r the advantages of havn a screamer pipe irf they r any?

and wat r the disadvantages of havn 1?

car is running 310bhp with hks gtrs turbo.

andy t
24-10-09, 13:05
few of da lads had them,
sound a bit mad when spoolin up.....extra loud like.....

not too sure on power but man they are noisey

anto180
24-10-09, 13:54
ya heard 1 b4 they r fairly loud alr getn alot of attention frm the guards.

like 2 know wat r the advantages of it doh?

colm
24-10-09, 15:22
if your turbos got an internal wastegate then theres not a whole lot of an advantage.
Ideally if the dump tube is plumbed back in 18" or so away from the turbo theres no real difference between it and a screamer other than the noise.

How they help is by releasing the gas away from the turbo making less back pressure helping the turbo spool easier, so either 18" away or out into the air

Micko
24-10-09, 17:11
i was advised by a few tuners to steer clear from using them on my hks gt2530 which is an internal wastegate set-up similar to yours

Davie
24-10-09, 17:16
no advantage on and internal wastegated turbo,waste of time

git
24-10-09, 17:57
screamer pipe = social street drifting respect =-) ...... Have wun on my 32 theyre d business wether its an advantage r not !ha ha

Davie
24-10-09, 18:41
do ya have a external wastegate?

Dreamworks-silvia
25-10-09, 15:47
no advantage on and internal wastegated turbo,waste of time

differnt strokes for diff folks davie not really a waste of time if he is just after the sound we have all established at this point there not goona give ya an extra 100bhp:rolleyes:

Frankae86
25-10-09, 15:57
They sound like every gasket on the exhaust system are missing.

git
25-10-09, 17:00
do ya have a external wastegate?
Who me dude ? Yep

rowaner2002
28-10-09, 11:54
got one on my s14 but ive an external waste gate ment make it spool quicker but the noise is loud as f**k but nice at the same time:D

Moose
31-10-09, 18:18
car will sound sick ticking over bet when she is spooling it will sound ment,
my opinion neways,

PeterT
31-10-09, 18:23
mine is one of those split elbow jobs. sounds shit at idle, apart from that its fun! spools a tad faster too it seams

cork kouki
31-10-09, 18:49
mine is one of those split elbow jobs. sounds shit at idle, apart from that its fun! spools a tad faster too it seams

I got one of them (to use with an internal wastegate turbo), never ended up fitting it because i was told they sound like, and i quote ''a big fat man farting under your bonnet'' so i dunno ha ha
any hope of gettin a vid up peter so we can hear yours?
They sound the job on proper external w/g set ups allrite imo

Dreamworks-silvia
31-10-09, 20:22
sound on video dont really do them justice ya want to be either in the car or out side it as it comes on boost

PeterT
02-11-09, 15:01
yeh heres a vid of mine, way louder in real life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwvG--ggAp0

nissan_doctor
02-11-09, 23:36
This is coming up again and again.

Scremer pipes are for externaly waste gated turbo's.

The fake screamer pipes for internally waste gated turbo's seem to be turning into the next dump valve, i.e lads fit them to have a noise without any interest if what they are actually for.

PeterT
03-11-09, 00:11
This is coming up again and again.

Scremer pipes are for externaly waste gated turbo's.

The fake screamer pipes for internally waste gated turbo's seem to be turning into the next dump valve, i.e lads fit them to have a noise without any interest if what they are actually for.

pretty much:D got it for free technicaly, so i lobbed it in to see what it would sound like, and had a bit of fun makin noise in tunnels and stuff! imo not as bad as a dumpvalve. cant see lads in glanzas even knowing what these are!

nissan_doctor
03-11-09, 01:31
pretty much:D got it for free technicaly, so i lobbed it in to see what it would sound like, and had a bit of fun makin noise in tunnels and stuff! imo not as bad as a dumpvalve. cant see lads in glanzas even knowing what these are!

No they are much worse, apperantly welding up the internal wastegate penny on the standard turbo and then drilling out the standard manifold to fit an external wastegate is deemed a good idea in the starlet/glanza world!

PeterT
03-11-09, 01:51
oh lord realy! my days

git
03-11-09, 13:18
No they are much worse, apperantly welding up the internal wastegate penny on the standard turbo and then drilling out the standard manifold to fit an external wastegate is deemed a good idea in the starlet/glanza world!

i just broke me shite laughn there hahahah i was picturn the boys out with a grinder and tec7 tryn t get the ext. watste gate and screamer pipe to fit hahahaha

tweek
03-11-09, 18:29
screamer pipes on an internal wastegated turbo are pointless in my opinion the reason.if they are noisy at idle something is wrong either your gaskets are gone or exhaust gases are leaking out through the screamer pipe or your internal wastegate is fucked or leaking either way you car won't pass an nct if it is noisy at idle.

Someone tell me tho what would be wrong with welding up the wastegate penny and using an external wastegate it serves the same function as a boost controller and u get a class noise at full boost??apart from using the standard manifold whats wrong?

nissan_doctor
03-11-09, 19:34
Someone tell me tho what would be wrong with welding up the wastegate penny and using an external wastegate it serves the same function as a boost controller and u get a class noise at full boost??apart from using the standard manifold whats wrong?

Is that a serious question?

Ok well put it this way, if you want to increase the bore of your cylinders do you just drill them out with a hole saw?

Turbos and manifolds are all about flow dinamics and welding up a place where the gas is supposed to and hoping that it will find its way out another way is just pure bandit.
The more technical reason is that the design of the standard manifold is one that flows the exhaust gasses towards the turbo in the best and most even way, so by cutting a hole in it and allowing the gas to escape through a retro fitted wastegate you'll be causing major pressure and flow issues within the manifold and the same is true of welding up the internal waste gate.

tweek
03-11-09, 21:01
you'll be doing a lot of drilling with a holesaw to bore out your engine
sorry i didn't make myself clear i ment to say what is wrong with welding up the internal wastegate and using a manifold with an external wastegate (one that has been purchased not home made)

nissan_doctor
03-11-09, 22:39
and the same is true of welding up the internal waste gate.

whats wrong with welding up the internal wastegate and using a manifold with an external wastegate (one that has been purchased not home made)

As above, Turbo's, as with manifolds, are all about flow design and if you just block off an outlet you will cause turbulance and back pressure within the turbo and also within the turbo elbo there will be a low pressure area where the wastegate should be opening.

I'm not saying that doing it will make the engine blow up instantly but engines are basically a pump which works solely on perfect flow and cutting holes and welding up bits of the turbo which were designed to work one way is going to reduce the smooth flow throught the exhaust system.