PDA

View Full Version : Satin blacking the BM

Administrator
22-10-09, 21:00
Think trying to get the green right is going to break my heart so I'm gonna get some satin black and get painting tomorrow!

Sooo what's involved? Is a rub down by hand enough? Rattle cans or get a spray gun? How many cans would we be talking about? Is primer a must? Would you lacquer it? Any other tips appreciated

Bobbys14
22-10-09, 21:03
You'd want a pallet of spray can's :D save up and giv it to a panel beater..

cork kouki
22-10-09, 21:27
correct me if im wrong, but i think i remember read'in the gossoon's build thread, and it been spray'd with rattle cans:confused: and that dont look too bad in pics

m-sykes
22-10-09, 22:08
Think trying to get the green right is going to break my heart so I'm gonna get some satin black and get painting tomorrow!

Sooo what's involved? Is a rub down by hand enough? Rattle cans or get a spray gun? How many cans would we be talking about? Is primer a must? Would you lacquer it? Any other tips appreciated

better of with spray gun,
rub the hole car down,
spray hole car with primer for best finish then with water wet sand that with 800 wet and dry,
then apply your layers of paint drying each layer,
then laquer it, then wet sand with 2000 and buff finish compound then wax(sorry just a quick guide) you can buy 2pack paint in enniskillin that doesnt need laquer for 8pound a litre that would do the job

gem-s13
22-10-09, 23:09
satin black ad go to woodies diy and get urself blackbord paint thats what i used on my polo the one nixon has now i only gave it one coat and barly washed the car before idid it

get a spary gun

2 liters black bord paint
2 spray cans of matt black paint for door jams and shit(dryes way quicker)
1 scotch pad
50euros for all that job done!!

Administrator
22-10-09, 23:10
satin black ad go to woodies diy and get urself blackbord paint thats what i used on my polo the one nixon has now i only gave it one coat and barly washed the car before idid it

get a spary gun

2 liters black bord paint
2 spray cans of matt black paint for door jams and shit(dryes way quicker)
1 scotch pad
50euros for all that job done!!

Cheers lad, sounds like my kinda paintjob. Actually does it thin down alright with celulose thinners?

gem-s13
22-10-09, 23:34
no lad it is water based so just throw it strait into the gun and fire it on!! get a gravity feed gun for doing it need to move quick enough when doing it as it will start to thickn in the gun

m-sykes
22-10-09, 23:37
no lad it is water based so just throw it strait into the gun and fire it on!! get a gravity feed gun for doing it need to move quick enough when doing it as it will start to thickn in the gun

ya need serious heat for water based unless you have a proper booth, id use thinners paint

gem-s13
22-10-09, 23:43
ya need serious heat for water based unless you have a proper booth, id use thinners paint

lad its black board paint!! and its water born paint not fully water based!! and what u going useing thinners for??

m-sykes
22-10-09, 23:48
lad its black board paint!! and its water born paint not fully water based!! and what u going useing thinners for??

arit yer actually goin blackboard:) i was on bout twopack

Spartacus
23-10-09, 00:06
Darragh, if you want a decent enough, cheap, lasting job, what you need is:

2K paint
Thinners
Hardener
Panel Wipe
Aerosol Primer
Filler etc..
Sand paper 240,320 grit.
Scotch pad for door jams, boot etc.

Rub down the car with 240/320 grit paper, make sure the car is well rubbed down with no shiny bits of paint left.

Fill any holes, stone chips, dents etc with filler if you are being picky about the quality of the job.

Get aerosol primer and prime the spots of filler, and any other spots that have been sanded down to bare metal. Wet sand the primer bits afterwards to get it smooth.

Make sure that the car has no shine on it after sanding it down, very important this, as the paint won't stick to a shiney surface.

Get a loan of a compressor, a good gun is 65e in Halfords, you could get a cheaper one if you want.

Buy paint, for satin just buy 2k but ask for no laquer in it. Thats what I did and I got a satin finish with mine. If you want a matte finish you can get a matteing agent in a tin similar to thinners and just mix it with the paint. You can still get 2k handy enough in Thurles. I wouldn't be paying any more than 40e in paint for what you need.

Mix the thinners with the paint, and panel wipe the whole car down to stop the paint reacting.

Spray away.

You can do the door jam's etc with matte black in a rattle can.

Thats pretty much what I did and I got a satin finish on mine. Turns out very well and because its 2k it dry's quick. Need an oven for water based.

Can post up pics if you want Darragh just so you know what to expect.

Alternatively you could rub the whole car with 240 grit and get a case of "Trade" matte black spray cans at around 4e a tin and spray away. Much easier, dries quick and easy to touch up. Still looks cool too.

Any questions just ask!

Dec.

gem-s13
23-10-09, 00:22
who said anything abought a spray booth and why are people under the illusion that u NEED a booth for water based paint U DONT!!!!

the paint i said is the easyst and cheapst way to do it i drove this car in to my workshop painted it and drove it to the shop 1hour later

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/gem-s13/321002.jpg

Spartacus
23-10-09, 00:27
Gem-s13, had seriously contemplated buying your car when I saw it up for sale! :cool:

Fair play, your car was the cheapest idea but thats pure matte. Darragh said he wanted a satin finish.

gem-s13
23-10-09, 00:29
it is not fully matt i would class it more as satin thats why i said it

m-sykes
23-10-09, 00:45
it is not fully matt i would class it more as satin thats why i said it

how much were the wheels man

Administrator
23-10-09, 00:54
Matt will do me the finest so! Off to woodies in the morning! :D

NIALL JZX
23-10-09, 01:08
good stuff, throw up sum pics for a gander wen your done, best of luck wit it lad.....

Kav gts-t
23-10-09, 08:30
Aerosols work quite fine too, used 18 can's for the 2 cars and barely sanded them down first

Cars were done for king of the ring comp this year

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss320/Kav_and_Damos_big_build/DSC00196.jpg
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss320/Kav_and_Damos_big_build/DSC00195.jpg

eileen
23-10-09, 08:40
so when you doing mine kav haha.

yeah tbh kav's cars came out savage with the cans!!! no patches etc. was very very surprised. probably depends on who does it tho. cans only as good as the person using them imo.
used the halfords cans to spray a few parts and they are quite good. better than the ones i used to use from the local diy hardware shop... never go for them lol

Spartacus
23-10-09, 09:47
Throw up pics of when you have it done dude. Are you still rusting the bonnet?

Simon
23-10-09, 12:15
pete rattle caned his bmw i dont think he used that many cans, it came out fiiiine!!! spray boths are over ratted with this kinda job, pete did it in his front garden, classic, standing on the roof while spraying the roof!!!!!

Administrator
23-10-09, 18:05
Got some of Woodies finest blackboard paint and all the other neccessities today and then it started raining. Operation aborted until Sunday!

Administrator
27-10-09, 16:02
Aborted until next weekend! FML

Romo
27-10-09, 16:07
its gonna be aborted for a while if your waiting on weather.... you can do it in my da's boathouse if ya dont mind the trek

Administrator
27-10-09, 16:14
its gonna be aborted for a while if your waiting on weather.... you can do it in my da's boathouse if ya dont mind the trek

I think it's cool for this weekend, there was a Mondeo in the way over the weekend so couldn't get it into the shed at home :rolleyes:

PeterT
27-10-09, 18:20
an hour, a bit of primer, and lots of spray cans! woo. bout 50 euro worth.

mick
27-10-09, 19:24
blackboard paint yer only man darragh, drop in some weekend an well do it in my gaff with the spray gun!

k1984w
27-10-09, 20:43
better of with spray gun,
rub the hole car down,
spray hole car with primer for best finish then with water wet sand that with 800 wet and dry,
then apply your layers of paint drying each layer,
then laquer it, then wet sand with 2000 and buff finish compound then wax(sorry just a quick guide) you can buy 2pack paint in enniskillin that doesnt need laquer for 8pound a litre that would do the job

this lad has it spot on if ya want a proper finish, if ya use spray cans prob need bout 20 or more an prob end up patchy an your fingers ill be hangin off after usin them for that long ha, if ya just want quick job get a loan of a spray gun off someone an compressor doesnt have to be top the range of anyting

mick
27-10-09, 21:15
dont laquer it anyway! itll be shiny then! yuck!