PDA

View Full Version : when is a bumper gone too bad to be repaired??

PeterT
06-11-11, 19:25
The cefiro bumpers are shagged. front one is serrrrrriously shagged. does anyone know someone that can rebuild bumpers handy?? all pieces still there just not together!

cant find a kit to suit my car so thinking of getting this one fixed?

any help appreciated!!

Eddie
06-11-11, 19:39
there never to bad to repair, i remember a lad talkin bout somebody repaired a bumper from him that he brough to him in a bucket :p

Simon
06-11-11, 19:46
get some standard bumpers haha

sil8094
06-11-11, 19:58
im sure theres some one thatll work their magic hah

driftfan
06-11-11, 20:41
anyone handy with fiberglass should be able to do it handy enough

S13..KEV
06-11-11, 20:44
Joebananas14 is the man for the job :-)

PeterT
06-11-11, 21:27
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/PeterTistaken/IMG_1733.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/PeterTistaken/IMG_1734.jpg

Kruizer
06-11-11, 21:35
Send it down peter, I'll put it back together...

tommyD1
06-11-11, 21:37
when ya cant repair it its 2 bad but there is always a way lad

Dori_Rory
06-11-11, 21:40
That doesn look too bad at all Pete. If all the major pieces are there it can be fiberglassed back to normal. Could give it a go yourself :undecided:

jdmjimmy
06-11-11, 21:40
Send it down peter, I'll put it back together...

Id like to see that :rolleyes:

once ya have 95% of the bits it would be grand drill 10-12mm holes each side of every crack counter sink the holes with a drill bit a bit bigger hold it best ya can with masking tape covering all the holes then patch from the rear with fiberglass and plaster on the oul resin..Thats the approach I would go with d.i.y . then obviously it will need alot of finishing depends how much the bumpers are worth

PeterT
06-11-11, 21:42
see, thing is, ive patched it and repaired it all before, but its gone so out of shape now its everywhere, almost seems like itd need to be built back up on the car, if yas get me?

Kruizer
06-11-11, 21:43
Id like to see that :rolleyes:

once ya have 95% of the bits it would be grand drill 10-12mm holes each side of every crack counter sink the holes with a drill bit a bit bigger hold it best ya can with masking tape covering all the holes then patch from the rear with fiberglass and plaster on the oul resin..Thats the approach I would go with d.i.y . then obviously it will need alot of finishing depends how much the bumpers are worth

Chuckle, chuckle, my sides ache...

joey banana s14
06-11-11, 21:45
that would repair no problem man

PeterT
06-11-11, 21:46
with regards the value of the bumpers, a whole kit can be picked up off ebay for 300 stg for the uk, bits its the smallest differance in the kits that realy put me off, i realy like this kit but front bumpers shagged, backs all cracked and all the mounting brackets have snapped off, adn one skirt is also snapped!

Kruizer
06-11-11, 21:50
Lad there is loads of ways to repair that, it is by no means beyond repair...

joey banana s14
06-11-11, 21:51
you could fix it up 100% and put new mounts etc then get a copy of it made rather than use the one full of filler probably bit costly tho

PeterT
06-11-11, 23:06
cool. while im at it, what do i do with the way the kit doesnt fit on whatsoever anymore? backs realy out of shape. and ive no idea how to make new fiberglass mounts ha. maybe i should just get the new cheap kit and keep this one for road wrecking?! hmmmm

Maurice.
06-11-11, 23:22
Fibreglass is always fixable but is expensive and very time consuming. Your bumpers and skirts are repairable and could be made to fit perfectly as long as you had the car to fit them on to just prepair to spend probably 150euro on fibreglass filler and normal filler alone and thats before ya donate the time and effort to it and a lot lot more if your paying a panel beater to do it. It can be quite rewarding to do it yourslef though but its sickening when you just smash it up again 5 mins down the road:mad:

Heres a good vid to show how to work with fiberglass if ya want to do it yourself
How to Repair Fiberglass - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsoKAHU5xUw)

Brian Driftkits.eu
21-12-11, 22:55
Ill do it for you if you want Peter?
You could prob do "a job" on it yourself , or get a mate to do it , but if its not done right it will weigh a ton and fall apart with the first knock it gets.
My advice - this is where every DIYer seems to not be bothered - key the back of the repair area well before you start slapping on a load of fibreglass filler !
I have a small Snap-On sandblaster thats great for small areas. It cleans any road grime and overspray off and roughens the areas so the new fibreglass bonds well. Then I would lay up a few layers of chopped strand mat or even a bit of kevlar / carbon-kevlar for an even stronger job.