PDA

View Full Version : sand for sand blasting wheels ????

D-turbo-lad
29-10-11, 16:40
am wondering whats the type of sand is used dose any 1 know ??

cuz good few have told me me that the regular type of sand thats used will leave pip's and small hole's in the spokes

much thanks

gavin

tezdude
29-10-11, 17:17
ive sand blasted dozens of wheels with regular type sand and it was always a sound job!

jap scrap
29-10-11, 21:49
If you have very expensive wheels and dont want to take a chance then use the soda for blasting them but if it was me i would just use regular sand

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-10-11, 22:14
Bagged paving sand will do fine.... The main thing is that's it's completely dry....

tezdude
29-10-11, 22:53
Another tip is if you want to play it safe adjust the pressure of the comp down low and lightly blast them.

dude
31-10-11, 13:32
soda is best but you can use ordainry sand either just lower the air pressure

D-turbo-lad
31-10-11, 14:11
thanks a million lads . have ta tell the lad thats doing them next week the story with the as he ne ever sandblasts trators and the like .. but thanks again il throw up a few pics of how the come out :)

DaveM-sport
31-10-11, 14:48
If you do alot of blasting, you shouldn't use regular sand.

toyotagt
10-11-11, 19:00
thanks a million lads . have ta tell the lad thats doing them next week the story with the as he ne ever sandblasts trators and the like .. but thanks again il throw up a few pics of how the come out :)

i got a set done before by a lad that does machines and that aswell,
he used the regular sand and pitted them in places,

you can use that sand but it will pit if u close to the wheel, make sure you tell him to stand back double the distance as he would so it doesnt hit it with as much force, it will cost him a little extra sand wasting it prob, but if he pitts them ull have to give about 4 or 5 coats of primer to build up to smooth again, and you dont have pitted wheels its easier and cheaper to paint,, u understand that? dunno if it sounds clear,,,

DaveM-sport
10-11-11, 23:07
glass is the best media for wheels really especially if they are being painted rather than powder-coated.

By saying regular sand shouldn't be used, I also meant that you can get systic-fibrous if exposed to it alot.