PDA

View Full Version : alternator charging system malfunction

cazzy
17-10-09, 23:47
as above lads,any1 in the cavan region or maybe monaghan the car is draining bty not charging at all.its toyota soarer 2.5gt-t auto.
any suggestions/someone who knows shite about charging systems im me thnx.:)

nixon001
18-10-09, 09:14
Wen the car is runnin put a multimeter across the batt, if it's charging at less den 13.9 u need an alternator, if it is charging but ain't holdin a charge either ur batt is bollixed or you've a drain off, doubtfully that you hav an amp-clamp or hi rate discharge tester so prob best to go to kwik fit or sumtinnd get dem to check ur battery ..If dbattery is good then check the likes of the bootlight ain't stayin on nd den it gets annoying after dat,disconnecting things etc...

ontherack
18-10-09, 10:37
Is the battery light coming on in the dash, while the car is running or before you start it?

Bobbys14
18-10-09, 17:07
spray the connections to the altrnator with wd40 all of them, i had same problem wit my s14a bought a new alternator and the connection was my only problem worth a try..!

cazzy
18-10-09, 17:10
hi lads,well this is what is happening.before starting the car the light which is on will be like the catalytic converter light but on a soarer it means quite a few things.so i went with multimeter started the car it cranked at low pace but kicked in.went to the battery there was 8.30volts coming:confused:i know thought it needs js over 12v js to start coz last time the bty had 11.???volts but ddnt crank at all.nway with engine running the cat light went off for a while and i checked the voltage at the alternator by plugging the negative on battery and the positive on the cable coming from alternator and it was showing 8.30 as same volt on the battery.or i was nt suppose to use negative from the battery(reason y i used negative terminal is coz i cant access negative from alternator its so squeezed.byt the time i finished the cat ligbht had illuminated car was losing power n on the way to cutting off.hope this helps.no bty warning light and battery is grant

nissan_doctor
18-10-09, 19:26
hi lads,well this is what is happening.before starting the car the light which is on will be like the catalytic converter light but on a soarer it means quite a few things.so i went with multimeter started the car it cranked at low pace but kicked in.went to the battery there was 8.30volts coming:confused:i know thought it needs js over 12v js to start coz last time the bty had 11.???volts but ddnt crank at all.nway with engine running the cat light went off for a while and i checked the voltage at the alternator by plugging the negative on battery and the positive on the cable coming from alternator and it was showing 8.30 as same volt on the battery.or i was nt suppose to use negative from the battery(reason y i used negative terminal is coz i cant access negative from alternator its so squeezed.byt the time i finished the cat ligbht had illuminated car was losing power n on the way to cutting off.hope this helps.no bty warning light and battery is grant

Sounds like the alt isn't giving out the correct power.

Frankae86
18-10-09, 20:12
I didnt bother reading the replies, simply because it takes me ages, do they have a charging fuse? simple fix maybe....
Sometimes you think up all sorts of complicated symptoms but it simple.

nixon001
18-10-09, 20:37
Woopsy!! Made a mistake der, sorry!! Gud man davie!!

cazzy
22-10-09, 09:19
ok have no idea what u r saying about charging fuse.may you please ellaborate on that 1.:)