PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Markings

ae86f20c
14-10-09, 17:51
Hey lads,

So im starting to rebuild my sr20det after a shell spun. But when i have the timing chain cover removed the bottom yellow link on the chain isn't lining up with the mark on the crank shaft. But the top two black links line up fine with the cam shaft arkings?

Not sure if the crank sprocket jumped a tool or not. Could some1 that has knowledge of this tell me the craic?

I have the service manual but doesn't clearly say....

Thanks in advance,

rowaner2002
14-10-09, 18:09
put crank key way at 12o clock
little mark should be to the right chain should match up at it should be a gold colour for crank sprocket.
fit this first before the came sprockets to the chain
then line up the top
use a vice to push tensioner back in and lock it. it will release it self later when you rotate engine by hand all marks
must line up
not to hard to do really
done a few of these engines
anything else just ask

ae86f20c
14-10-09, 19:50
Thanks lad, but my problem is that before I take off the chain.
The 3 marking aren't lining up with the 3 coloured chain links at the same time. When piston 1 is at TDC my top two black links line up with the cam sprockets, but the bottom yellow link is 1 link out from lining up with the crank sprocket mark.

I can prob work away the build engine and then line it up the correct way afterwards, but i just wanted to know if the engine jumped a link or not before i rip it apart now?

diff06
14-10-09, 20:38
Thanks lad, but my problem is that before I take off the chain.
The 3 marking aren't lining up with the 3 coloured chain links at the same time. When piston 1 is at TDC my top two black links line up with the cam sprockets, but the bottom yellow link is 1 link out from lining up with the crank sprocket mark.

I can prob work away the build engine and then line it up the correct way afterwards, but i just wanted to know if the engine jumped a link or not before i rip it apart now?

sounds like it did:mad:

mr.jailbait
14-10-09, 20:43
has to be fixed now
cant do it with the oil pump on

nissan_doctor
14-10-09, 20:54
The marks are only for when fitting the chain. Once the engine has been rotated then you'll nearly never get them lined up correctly again with the colours on the chain.

You should have 20 rollers between the two cam sprocket marks, 56 rollers from the intake cam mark to the crank mark and 48 rollers from exhaust sprocket to crank mark.

Davie
14-10-09, 20:55
the markings on the chain move to a different tooth on the sprocket each time the engine is turned,
the chain markings are more or less there for factory assembley,if the engine is at tdc,there is one notch on each of the near end of the cams sprockets,the notch on the left cam sprocket should be facing 10oclock and the notch on the cam sprocket on the right should be facing 12oclock, i think there should be 20chain pins from notch to notch,
but you can re time the engine after its built

Davie
14-10-09, 20:57
The marks are only for when fitting the chain. Once the engine has been rotated then you'll nearly never get them lined up correctly again with the colours on the chain.

You should have 20 rollers between the two cam sprocket marks, 56 rollers from the intake cam mark to the crank mark and 48 rollers from exhaust sprocket to crank mark.

fucker:p

off topic but ring me when those tyres arrive,they were dispatched yesterday

way2fastforu
14-10-09, 20:58
ya like nissan doc said...sure it takes fookin ages jus to get the 2 cam sprockets lined up wit the silver chain links never mind the crank wit the gold link

nissan_doctor
14-10-09, 21:01
fucker:p

off topic but ring me when those tyres arrive,they were dispatched yesterday

Will do...:)

Frankae86
14-10-09, 21:06
Ill be rebuilding my Sr and have never done a timing chain engine before, this thread makes it sound difficult.

nissan_doctor
14-10-09, 21:09
Ill be rebuilding my Sr and have never done a timing chain engine before, this thread makes it sound difficult.

Its actually really easy. If you clean down your chain you will see 2 silver links and one black one. The two silver ones line up with the two cam sprocket marks and the black one with the crank sprocket mark.

Have you got a workshop manual? you'll need to know how to set the cam angle sensor too.

Frankae86
14-10-09, 21:18
Ah ill be alrite lad, not ripping it up for a while yet cheers anyway. If ive any questions ill let ye know.

ae86f20c
14-10-09, 22:34

Thanks lad thats great info. Ill go counting 2moro. It does take a good few rotations to get the links lining up with the cam sprockets. Takes nearly 5 full cycles of the chain.

BUT.... As you say there's 48 rollers between the exhaust sprocket and crank sprocket [mark to mark] on the tension side, then its hard to imagine why the chain links and sprocket marks dont line up because surely there's 48 rollers from silver coloured link to yellow/black coloured link on the chain and the engine is at TDC both now the when the chain was fitted?

I dunno - depends on what rotation its stops on as u say. Cos the crank sprocket is diff diameter to cam sproc.... this takes abit of thinkin...

Thanks for the help lads.. ill try get pics up moro eve.

way2fastforu
15-10-09, 09:02
u should def download a work shop manual specially if its ur first time workin on an sr20....but there actually fairly simply to work on really....wen i first done head gasket in mine i thought the chain was a nightmare but got used to it an its simples really :D

nissan_doctor
15-10-09, 10:04
Here you go.....

http://www.importworkshop.com/files/manuals/nissan/Nissan_Silvia_S14_Workshop_Manual.pdf

ae86f20c
15-10-09, 13:37
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/ae86f20c/SR20DET/DSCF0356.jpg

So overall of timing chain

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/ae86f20c/SR20DET/DSCF0355.jpg

Both black links lineing up with Cam sprocket marks,

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/ae86f20c/SR20DET/DSCF0365.jpg

So crank shaft is at correct rotation as key way is pointing 12 o clock. So engine is at TDC. But the crank sprocket mark is not in the same position as it is in the nissan manual. but the yellow chain link is correct.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/ae86f20c/SR20DET/DSCF0364.jpg

On the above manual pic the crank sprocket mark is at 4 o clock when the keyway is at 12 clock,

BUT... on my engine the crank sprocket mark is at 6o clock when the keyway is at 12 o clock,

Can some1 tell me should the crank sprocket mark be opposite the keyway? or what does it look like on theres if any1 has 1 ripped?

nissan_doctor
15-10-09, 14:30
The mark you are looking at now is on the oil pump drive(the round peice with the 2 flat sides)Remove that and the cam sprocket is behind that. You should see the mark your looking for then.;)