PDA

View Full Version : Aghadowey drifting afterthoughts 17-09-11

driftfan
17-09-11, 18:23
well what did everyone think of today? i thought it was a great day and there was plenty of track time to... thanks to gary for having me as media today, my pics will be up tonight at some stage :cool:

KerryKid1JZ
17-09-11, 18:26
nice one steevie. alot cars up there?

martydumpvalve
17-09-11, 19:03
brilliant day leathel track time!! pity i bust my diff but shit happens!! good man gary well run! lookin 4ward to part 2! :D

driftfan
17-09-11, 19:09
nice one steevie. alot cars up there?

yeah there were plenty...

driftfan
17-09-11, 19:13
pics now up :afro:
http://i56.tinypic.com/14v0net.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ccs1n5.jpg
rest are here vv :)

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g355/slidewide-photography/

Driftin
17-09-11, 19:34
well what did everyone think of today? i thought it was a great day and there was plenty of track time to... thanks to gary for having me as media today, my pics will be up tonight at some stage :cool:

Just checked out your photo's. Some great shots there sir. Thanks for the pictures.:)

Driftin
17-09-11, 19:52
brilliant day leathel track time!! pity i bust my diff but shit happens!! good man gary well run! lookin 4ward to part 2! :D

I am only part of the team, Monty, James, The staff and Marshals. Without them today would not have been possible, You will get the diff sorted, You were defo pulling good shapes today. :)

driftfan
17-09-11, 20:03
Just checked out your photo's. Some great shots there sir. Thanks for the pictures.:)

thanks lad and no bother anytime

neil_v8
17-09-11, 20:13
Had a brilliant day lethal track time lookin forward to the next one!! Thanks to everybody that brought there cars! And to all the staff!

cosworth-power
17-09-11, 21:16
Was good to be back at aghadowey again, hada great 1st run but half way through the 2nd run my clutch let go. other than that it was well run and as said before, plenty of track time..:D:D
Only problem i seen was the water tanker:mad: track needs to be dry..

jap scrap
17-09-11, 21:35
Just home now such a bitch of a drive home the day was good but ye can make it savage by just getting rid of the water tanker the laps after the break was unreal altogether was nearly linking the whole track when it was dry but in the wet is a waste of time if the whole track was wet from rain there is nothing you can do about that but at least it would not be patchy. Just dump the tanker and ye are on to a winner otherwise aghadowey will die out like it did before just because of the tanker.

Stevie-mc
17-09-11, 21:49
I had a brilliant day. The water was also an issue i think it made it dangerous at the bottom corner because that many cars spinning off and was no grip but all in all its was great craic. Big thanks to the organisers and will def be at the next one.

phil-ray
17-09-11, 21:50
i agree about the track wetting, i dont think it was necessary to be honest, but i had a great day and got some good shots which will be up soon. thanks for garry and the guys for having me and for allowing me out on track.

the one big thing about the track is lack of spectator points maybe if people where allowed to stand up the middle of the track but again thats a safty issue.

hope theres another one.

jap scrap
17-09-11, 21:55
i agree about the track wetting, i dont think it was necessary to be honest, but i had a great day and got some good shots which will be up soon. thanks for garry and the guys for having me and for allowing me out on track.

the one big thing about the track is lack of spectator points maybe if people where allowed to stand up the middle of the track but again thats a safty issue.

hope theres another one.

Did anyone notice the difference in atmosphere with spectators when the track would be dry it was class

phil-ray
17-09-11, 21:56
http://www.jon44w.com/site3/viewthread.php?tid=2388

pics.

chris200s13
17-09-11, 22:14
was a great day, good few cars and a good track layout2. i didnt mind the water, saves me tires lol, defo be back

slider80
17-09-11, 22:26
thanks 2 gary and the lads 4 the effort 2day...... up since 4:30am,, fair spin from sligo but gud craic had,, day started shit,, fucked 3rd and 5th on me second lap,, thought day was over but thankfully she held the rest for the day(sounds like a bag off spaner's tho):p think its a great track,, nice and fast,, but the tanker's a ball's, its an absolute danger wetting the track like dat... dry runs were deadly:cool: but sadly wont b back if tanker is der and i'm not the only1 i'd say,,, thanks again 2 every1 involved

Driftin
17-09-11, 22:42

pics.

Phil Brilliant Photos as always. Not to sure about the one of me though LOL:)

Boltz
17-09-11, 23:01

pics.

As Always Phil, Brilliant, Thanks Man

Wattie Jumbla
17-09-11, 23:07
pics now up :afro:
http://i56.tinypic.com/14v0net.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ccs1n5.jpg
rest are here vv :)

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g355/slidewide-photography/

Great fotos Man, keep up the good work man

nufinish
18-09-11, 10:29
Was up in the white s15, first time its ever been on track or drove in anger, first run out was a waste of time, tires had no front end grip whatsoever and to much power to the back wheels made it a complete waste of time,dropped boost changed 2 front tires and went out again and it was alot better least it was slidin and not going straight every where,the wet track made it a complete shambles i dont no about anyone else but driving a big horsepower car in the wet then comin into the dry is llike slidin down a bannister and meetin sandpaper at the end.... its not fun.. all in all wasnt a bad day a few more tweaks with the car and a set of driftworks hubs i reckon it will be a good drift car, as for the track. "NO MORE WATER"

ricky2169
18-09-11, 12:01
Great day out was my first time whens the next?? sooner the better

Bennyk1122
18-09-11, 13:35
Great day, Declan Mullanny you were on fire sir serious angle, most entertaining driver of the day.

pony1
18-09-11, 14:45
great day, well organised, world off track time. big pat on the back for organisers, and wee sexy man at start line ;) an the far travelled.

tanker seems to be problem for high power cars and benefit for low power cars -- maybe an option to have half day wet and other half dry (weather permitting)

lookin forward to next event :smiley:

dude
18-09-11, 17:43
yesterday was a great day out great track time well organised and run the only thing was the track wetting i tought it was unneccesary and it made the bottom corner dangerous apart from that it was brillant well done lads on a good day and hope there will be a lot more track days up there in the future

Boltz
18-09-11, 18:05
Great day, Declan Mullanny you were on fire sir serious angle, most entertaining driver of the day.

x2 on that, Fantastic

modernlandscapesdrift
18-09-11, 20:02
really enjoyed today, some great driftin when track was dry, waste of time when tanker came out, would defo go back again if the tanker is not about :wink: ps loved the green mark2, that guy cN STEER :cool: MANY THANKS TO ALL THE EVENT ORGANISERS, EVEYTHING SEEMED TO RUN WELL

jap scrap
18-09-11, 20:23
great day, well organised, world off track time. big pat on the back for organisers, and wee sexy man at start line ;) an the far travelled.

tanker seems to be problem for high power cars and benefit for low power cars -- maybe an option to have half day wet and other half dry (weather permitting)

lookin forward to next event :smiley:

Deffo would not be an option half day wet half dry i know 6 lads out of our gang had cars up from mayo / sligo which was 4 hrs each way but wont be returning if the track is wet with tanker again

SMD-R33
18-09-11, 21:05
there defo was all the track time you could want as everyone says, but the water wanker sorry !tanker! really spoiled things, that was the only thing major i could see wrong.

Stevie-mc
18-09-11, 22:38
Fair enough when it rains not much you can do but all the track is wet so you know what to expect but with the tank it seems to dry out quicker in certain places. You go from full grip to nothing.

Driftin
18-09-11, 23:06
Good comments Guys and Thanks. The water tanker I know is a big issue. Personally. I love watching drifting on a dry track. But we will work to get a resolution. The guys in the lower powered cars kept asking me when is the tanker wetting the track, The higher powered guys were saying do not wet the track. The owner of the track had his own reasons primarily, to cut down tyre skid noise. So there are 3 issues surrounding the use of the water tanker. I have hopefully got the solution and when the next date is announced will put it to yous to see what everyone thinks. And I am not thinking half day wet, half day dry. And on a final note, we may have had a stronger argument for keeping the track dry if we had got the higher powered cars that we expected.

g6mmc
19-09-11, 07:37
super day out, was great to get some proper seat time. thanks to the organisers and staff. fao the wee sexy man, loving the glasses :) . have to say i loved trying to come up the back straight in 3rd from the chicane, some buzz at that speed.

harryk
19-09-11, 08:50
was a class day well i only got 4 laps cus my engine did a bearing not good but the 4 laps i had were great cant wait to get her sorted and get onto that track again def pne of the funest wee tracks about !!!!!!!!

Driftin
19-09-11, 10:46
super day out, was great to get some proper seat time. thanks to the organisers and staff. fao the wee sexy man, loving the glasses :) . have to say i loved trying to come up the back straight in 3rd from the chicane, some buzz at that speed.

Truth is out, I am as blind as a bat. Good to see you having a good day with no major issues. :)

jap scrap
19-09-11, 15:33
Good comments Guys and Thanks. The water tanker I know is a big issue. Personally. I love watching drifting on a dry track. But we will work to get a resolution. The guys in the lower powered cars kept asking me when is the tanker wetting the track, The higher powered guys were saying do not wet the track. The owner of the track had his own reasons primarily, to cut down tyre skid noise. So there are 3 issues surrounding the use of the water tanker. I have hopefully got the solution and when the next date is announced will put it to yous to see what everyone thinks. And I am not thinking half day wet, half day dry. And on a final note, we may have had a stronger argument for keeping the track dry if we had got the higher powered cars that we expected.

Great to see that 2 days after the event ye are trying to solve the problem wet the oval and let the boys tear away on there that like the wet. you had a lot of high powered cars there but no one could use it with everyone struggling for grip it was just putting savage strain on the engine reving so much and getting no where

dmb1242
19-09-11, 16:08
Some days craic alright good to be @ aghadowey! Wetting the corners is causing major problems ur comming in to a wet corner in dry speeds which is difficult enough but its like hitting ice which ur going to risk damage'n ur car, either wet the complete track or not at all, if the corners contuine to be wet well it will turn away a lot of drivers which could risk the future of other events at aghadowey, apart from that track is class and well orgainised fair play!

stew180
19-09-11, 17:46
I have looked at every1s comments an i no were every1 is coming from about the tanker but lads has none of u been to mondello??
Now im not going to start an blow smoke up my own ass an say iv got a high horsepower car but on the 1st 2 dry sessions i got 6laps out of 4 tyres and then when the track was wet 4 done me the rest of the day an i tooker hme on my last 2 if it had been dry all day that wud have been 15laps for my 10 tyres, i wud say thats pretty gay!!!!!!!
big thanks to all the guys that made the day happen an put all the hard work in, all i can say is role on the next1 !!

dude
19-09-11, 19:12
Great to see that 2 days after the event ye are trying to solve the problem wet the oval and let the boys tear away on there that like the wet. you had a lot of high powered cars there but no one could use it with everyone struggling for grip it was just putting savage strain on the engine reving so much and getting no where

i totaly agree with jap scrap i dont have huge power but i had to much power for the way the corners were it was deadly goin from dry to wet where you were comin in hard with grip hittin the wet and then you had notting just reving and goin nowhere and struggling to keep the car goin without spinning.wettin the oval would be the ideal solution anyone that feels the big track is to grippy can do the oval and everyone can have a great day that way

oldskooler
19-09-11, 19:50
sure was cool to be back at at aghadowey after 5 odd years and see a lot of the same faces from back then,....some of us ill never get sense lol!!!

theres lots of arguments for water tanker or not, but i know that it was the two dry runs out after lunch that made the day for me!!:cool:

then again my car is set up for the dry with stupid spring rates etc so it just doesent play ball in the wet. in fairness it was cool to see the likes of standard ae 86,s licking most of the track when it was wet.

i think there could be something to be gained by letting a group of standard cars ( or whoever was game for wet, beginners etc) for the first session after the tanker goes out, and the rest to go out when the track dries, delaying wetting it for a spell until it was the lower power cars turn again, just a thought.

Driftin
20-09-11, 00:09
THE WATER TANKER. Having read various comments on forums regarding the use of the water tanker at aghadowey I have an idea which I would like to put out for consultation and comments. Firstly a bit of background on why it is being used, and why it may be a necessary evil.

Portlaoise Drift- Cancelled due to noise
Balbriggan M1 Drift -Cancelled due to noise
Mondello Drift Practise- Still going strong (Using Tanker to wet track)

The Complexities of setting up a drift practise involves local council approval. It is not just a matter of turning up at the track and doing what you please. My proposal for wetting the track is as follows. (Oldskooler Kinda Touched on it).

First half hour session is wet, with a choice given to drivers if they want to drift our sit out. Hopefully after the wet session the track should be well on its way to drying out with a bit more grip for the next half hour dry session. First session after lunch will be dry session having allowed the track almost an hour of drying. (The wet session will see the whole track being wet not just the corners)

Open to comments and suggestions

dude
20-09-11, 12:42
THE WATER TANKER. Having read various comments on forums regarding the use of the water tanker at aghadowey I have an idea which I would like to put out for consultation and comments. Firstly a bit of background on why it is being used, and why it may be a necessary evil.

The Complexities of setting up a drift practise involves local council approval. It is not just a matter of turning up at the track and doing what you please. My proposal for wetting the track is as follows. (Oldskooler Kinda Touched on it).

First half hour session is wet, with a choice given to drivers if they want to drift our sit out. Hopefully after the wet session the track should be well on its way to drying out with a bit more grip for the next half hour dry session. First session after lunch will be dry session having allowed the track almost an hour of drying. (The wet session will see the whole track being wet not just the corners)

fair play to ya lad we need more people like you round the place not only was the last day a good day out with loads of seat time its great to see ya orgainising an other day again so soon and also taken on everyones comments and suggestions and tryn to cater for everyone keep up the good work and aghadowey will be serious sucess i also think that your suggestion of wet and dry track runs is the way foward hope to be up again soon

jap scrap
20-09-11, 14:04

That track is slow enough at drying as we seen the last day have 2hrs dry in the morning then 2 hrs wet you have a hour lunch then so track will have well dried off again then do it 1 hr at a time or half hour weather premitting

If the track is dry for a while stand back and listen engine noise will be louder than tyre noise

Driftin
20-09-11, 14:05
fair play to ya lad we need more people like you round the place not only was the last day a good day out with loads of seat time its great to see ya orgainising an other day again so soon and also taken on everyones comments and suggestions and tryn to cater for everyone keep up the good work and aghadowey will be serious sucess i also think that your suggestion of wet and dry track runs is the way foward hope to be up again soon

Thanks Dude for your kind comments, I have been round the drift scene for quite a while now. Anyone that knows me will tell you I am a bit nuts about drifting. The facts are we in ireland are not spoilt for tracks to drift on. Trying to accommodate everyone is real difficult. We are working hard to try and meet most peoples expectations. There is no drift/track day perfect. The question is where else do you go. And Thanks again Dude for you comments.:)

dude
20-09-11, 19:10
your welcome driftin. like i said we need more track days like the last one its just a matter of keepn all sides happy and you seem to be headn in the right direction anyway its just a matter of getn there but when you do aghadowey should be huge

Stevie-mc
20-09-11, 22:12
I have looked at every1s comments an i no were every1 is coming from about the tanker but lads has none of u been to mondello??
Now im not going to start an blow smoke up my own ass an say iv got a high horsepower car but on the 1st 2 dry sessions i got 6laps out of 4 tyres and then when the track was wet 4 done me the rest of the day an i tooker hme on my last 2 if it had been dry all day that wud have been 15laps for my 10 tyres, i wud say thats pretty gay!!!!!!!
big thanks to all the guys that made the day happen an put all the hard work in, all i can say is role on the next1 !!

It does save a fortune on tyres. I use 4 new tyres all day on other tracks would a been a set of tyres every run. If it has to get wet so be it, better half a loaf as no bread lol.

Driftin
20-09-11, 22:29
We will still be working on the ground on the day. Weather depending we hope to give you as much dry track time as possible.

chris200s13
21-09-11, 14:42
My cars running around 270bhp, I got some dry runs and also some in the wet, liked them both, however if wetting the track is the best long term solution to keeping it a regular event (ie once a month) then I would rather see the track wet and have somewhere to go, than have it shut down after 2 or 3 events and then I'll be back to drifting on public roads :(
It does save tyres too, one new set done me all day :)
Whatever you guys decide to do, I hope it keeps it open every month as I was gutted when it was stopped a few years ago and have been waiting on it starting up since.
p.s. the ovel is boring for drifting, and where would the pit area be?
Best for everyone to use the track

driftimports
21-09-11, 22:34
How many cars were out at once at this? I'd really love to get some more track time but I'd be a bit worried about getting in the way of the better drivers or worse ending up in a crash:(

Overall the feedback looks really good and as plans are already afoot for the next one I'm guessing the interest will be pretty big!

Driftin
21-09-11, 23:00
How many cars were out at once at this? I'd really love to get some more track time but I'd be a bit worried about getting in the way of the better drivers or worse ending up in a crash:(

Overall the feedback looks really good and as plans are already afoot for the next one I'm guessing the interest will be pretty big!

You will be fine, Roughly 15-20 Cars on track at a time. The track itself is a mile in length, So no fear of getting in the way. We had a few drivers on saturday who had never been on a track before, There was no problems. :)

driftimports
21-09-11, 23:34
Cool thanks for the info! Hope to make it on the 22nd even if it's just to spectate.:)

dmb1242
22-09-11, 19:22
well it does rain like 80% of the time in ireland so this wetting the track thing just might'n be much of a problem especially now that the winter is on its way..