PDA

View Full Version : Welded diff on road car????

sponsor-a-panda
16-07-11, 14:10
Well lads anyone have any experience with this?? considering getting the diff welded but not sure what they would be like on a road car, is it true that they fuck up the back axle and arms etc..

or is it better to save up for a 2 way ???

Cheers

john

twailbait
16-07-11, 14:19
I have a welder in the Mx and it's fine, you only notice it on slow 1st gear driving and parking. Other than that it's fine. It'll wear your tires a bit and probably isn't great on you subframe bushes, but wouldn't I think the advantages out weigh the disadvantages!

tomsheen
16-07-11, 14:37
had one in an e30 for bout 7 months couldnt fault it atall and i drove 70miles round trip
to college everyday day.. it was polybushed which made the difference coz
over time it'll just cause standard bushings and stuff to wear way faster..

weld it up to f*ck man tis the only job you wont be disappointed i promise :D

batman026
16-07-11, 14:55
i have to agree with tom here, welded is the only way to go, 2 way is a waste of money but thats my 2 cents, there was a 2 way in my ps13 when i got it and as soon as that goes there will be a welded put into it

billybgt130
16-07-11, 16:18
welded diff is all good until the gaurds decide to check if its welded and if they find that it is shit hits the fan then,
save up for a two way man, cheaper in the long run:wink:

Random Rs
16-07-11, 18:41
iv a 2way in my 32 and is the first time iv driven with any sort of decent lsd and it aint as bad as i thought it would be, id save for the 2 way as iv seen a few welded diffs on road cars and the tyres last no time

podgedun
16-07-11, 18:51
i have never hav had any bother wit a welded diff but i found it was always tryin to push u towards somethin!! pretty dangerous!

Smokey Bear
16-07-11, 19:10
welded diff is all good until the gaurds decide to check if its welded and if they find that it is shit hits the fan then,
save up for a two way man, cheaper in the long run:wink:

What are they going to do nothing in the law?

20vees
16-07-11, 20:00
ive a welded one too its grand,a bit off tyre grabbing when parking other than that its grand....you only have a welded one to slide anyway imo

billybgt130
16-07-11, 20:15
What are they going to do nothing in the law?

dangerous in the wet in the eyes of the law,
there was a car down here that was threatened to be boxed by the law if the diff was welded and i have heard of gaurds hopping into cars and reversing in a circle checking for it

20vees
16-07-11, 20:22
just say its a tight 2way ,ive never heard of a garda hoping into a car to try reversing it? what part of ireland is that and listen just say you got the car like that and tell them that you will get the problem fixed and then spend the money on a 2way.imo bluff bluff bluff

180sxbreaker
16-07-11, 20:56
billy is right i know the car and person he is on about..

and the guards can do ya for it..tis classed as a ceased differential or summit similar..
shades down our way are right boyos they know their shit

you can bluff them by sayin ya know fuck all about cars mechanically they can't prove ya know tis welded..they just tryin to summons lads mad for hoops

Deco84
16-07-11, 21:04
get a 1.5 two ways are noisy as fuck my cusco one is fucken aggressive does my head in tbh

bwreilly
17-07-11, 10:49
get a 1.5 two ways are noisy as fuck my cusco one is fucken aggressive does my head in tbh

haha ya selling it

conor
17-07-11, 11:58
so have we any definitive line on welded diffs and the law??

i always thought they were the height of illegal but if i find out there not ill be going welding

twailbait
17-07-11, 12:07
so have we any definitive line on welded diffs and the law??

i always thought they were the height of illegal but if i find out there not ill be going welding

Well welders can go through the Nct so that would be my answer!

hoopsbhoy
17-07-11, 13:16
well a guard has to have your permission to drive the car. So i.d just flat out refuse to let him. If nothing else he can do ya for then fuck him.

slider80
17-07-11, 13:35
well a guard has to have your permission to drive the car. So i.d just flat out refuse to let him. If nothing else he can do ya for then fuck him.

x 2......................

S14a johno
17-07-11, 14:02

x3 and dont forget garda are not insured to drvie you car
they have get a tow tuck, but garda has to have you permission also
to move it, it your property

conor
17-07-11, 14:09
what about psv test ?

has anyone been caught with a welder, what happens? is it a court apparance?

do you loose your licence

darren C
17-07-11, 14:58
jesus i dunno lads i had 2 cars takin off me and they drove both of them back.
they can do watever they want unless you have the balls to fight them

20vees
17-07-11, 15:48
just bluff bluff bluff just say thats the way you got the car ,that you will get a mechanic to take alook at it bluff bluff bluff play dumb keep your mouth shut change the subject and be on your way...and no you cannot drive my car..JOG ON ha ha ha

Greg
17-07-11, 16:53
jesus i dunno lads i had 2 cars takin off me and they drove both of them back.
they can do watever they want unless you have the balls to fight them

they stopped me at a check point one night and seized the car for out of date tax(9 months), and they wanted to drive the car to the station. I argued with them because it was a wet night and the car was rwd and I wanted it towed. They said they had insurance, did loads of driver training courses, and there was nothing to worry about. I said that they have no rwd cop cars and told them that if they crashed they'd pull apart the car until they found something wrong with it so they could blame the crash on me. All the getting smart with them eventually got a tow truck called and I was told a psv test would have to be done before I got the car back, but I got the car out of the impound asap the next day before the night cops came back on duty. :D Fuck letting them drive your car away. :)

Anyhow, if somebody can afford a two way, then I don't know why they'd bother with a welder. The two way in my car doesn't knock, bang, or give out, but will skip a wheel on gravel or at a wet junction.

180sxbreaker
17-07-11, 18:30
they took a glanza off a mate of mine in kilarney about 4 year ago they drove it back.they gave him option he pay for recovery truck or the guard drive it back
he let them drive it back cause he was smart...reverse was gone in the box..the guard drove it into impound yard and wen he went wit money to collect the car the guard kept askin him why he could not get reverse my mate said i hav no idea it worked perfect wen ye took it
basically they had to pay for a new gearbox so he dropped it to toyota and let them fit the box and sent invoice to the shades he got paid too

i bet they were slow about takin the next car:cool: