PDA

View Full Version : One for the 1JZ owners

Fredericks Balls
28-09-09, 19:45
Ok, it's about time I got the finger out here. I want to service the car thouroughly, so I was wondering what oils you use in the engine, box and diff. I have spoke to Andy @ Powervehicles but the oils he uses arent available here.

I have a slight clunking (not crunching, feels like down changing a dog box) and I was recommended to use an additive in the box, so if anyone could recommend one that would be cool...

Thanks in advance

nissan_doctor
28-09-09, 21:02
Silkolene or redline or any ester based oils are the best.

Chuck_g
28-09-09, 22:09
As Above Silkolene is sweet stuff.....Theres oil treatment you can get in a white bottle(Cant remember the name), its savage tack reduces noise,friction etc!! I use it

Eoin R.
28-09-09, 23:42
Mobile1 10w 50 semi is wat i always put in mine... seemed grand!!

cazzy
28-09-09, 23:57
off-topic
hw good is the sweesh turbo timer lads wanna put on my 1jz guy selling it at 45euros????

Fredericks Balls
29-09-09, 06:29
Thanks lads, I guess i'll keep an eye out for Silkoline stuff. Was thinking that but seeing as it was mentioned twice thats good, and if its good enough for Chucks monster its good enough for me!!

Chuck, if theres any chance you have a bottle of that stuff around to get the name of that would be cool too. If not my dad reckons wynns is pretty decent, he used to use it in his mini's and I can get box additives from Wynns?..

@Cazzy dont be a lazy bastid just sit in the car, or drive it easy the last few miles, you dont need to fast n furious your way right into the driveway!! :D

Thanks again lads

nissan_doctor
29-09-09, 09:46
If you are using a good quality oil like the silkolene you won't need additives, If you are having trouble selecing gears or getting a noise then additives may mask the problem but they won't fix it.

Fredericks Balls
29-09-09, 10:17
No, i understand that. As I said it's like an awkward clunk on downchange, not a grinding like a knackered syncro. Ive driven single seaters with dog boxes, and it feels very like that more so than something on the way out. When I spoke to Andy he suggested an additive as he uses Wakos Skill g in his JZX100 but Wakos is unavailable outside Japan I think.

Ill change the oil anyway and see where its at then. I have no idea when it was last done so it may just need fresh oil

Thanks again

Midnight
29-09-09, 10:41
[QUOTE=Fredericks Balls;28510]Thanks lads, I guess i'll keep an eye out for Silkoline stuff.

I think Murray Motorsport are agents for Silkolins.

Fredericks Balls
29-09-09, 11:26
I think Murray Motorsport are agents for Silkolins.

Are they? I'll give them a shout so..

Chuck_g
29-09-09, 11:34
Thanks lads, I guess i'll keep an eye out for Silkoline stuff. Was thinking that but seeing as it was mentioned twice thats good, and if its good enough for Chucks monster its good enough for me!!

Chuck, if theres any chance you have a bottle of that stuff around to get the name of that would be cool too. If not my dad reckons wynns is pretty decent, he used to use it in his mini's and I can get box additives from Wynns?..

@Cazzy dont be a lazy bastid just sit in the car, or drive it easy the last few miles, you dont need to fast n furious your way right into the driveway!! :D

Thanks again lads

Dude i actually use Mobil 1 15w 50, as do half the drifters in this country and uk!! Great tack!! I can also get good deals in Bulk if your interested!! Pm me if so!! As for the additive, its Bardahl Low Smoke or something!! Its in a white bottle and is the berries but as said above if its a major problem your having you may wanna fix it rather than mask it!

Fredericks Balls
29-09-09, 13:09
Mobil 1 it is so :D If its what you use, i'd be using my head to follow you! I wouldnt be interested in bulk just now but if i start using it more on track ill be in touch for sure. Thanks for the offer though.

Cool ill look out for the Bardahl stuff. I don't believe it is a major issue, if i heel/toe on down change its fine no clunk at all. Ill change the oil first and see from there...

Thanks again

Fredericks Balls
06-10-09, 12:42
Ok so what diff oil should i look to get and anywhere in Dublin to get it? :)

cazzy
06-10-09, 14:49

Thanks again lads

lol do u knw we r in 2009 the era were u put a password on ur microwave lol.
waiting 3min in the car w8n for engine to cool down will be like 3min lost making out with a tight bird ha ha ha.just need it incease m in a rush n need right procedure to cool down car since smetime we r human and we are late to sme meeting ha ha ha.:D

Fredericks Balls
06-10-09, 16:15
lol do u knw we r in 2009 the era were u put a password on ur microwave lol.
waiting 3min in the car w8n for engine to cool down will be like 3min lost making out with a tight bird ha ha ha.just need it incease m in a rush n need right procedure to cool down car since smetime we r human and we are late to sme meeting ha ha ha.:D

3 mins?? Holy shit you must do Prodrift round on the way through your estate!!:p

Fredericks Balls
06-10-09, 16:22
Ok so I cant get Mobil 1 15w 50.

I can get Motul 15W 50. Any use? It's 50 euro for 4 litres
For the diff I can get a Redline diff oil. The guy wasnt 100% sure but i reckons its the heavy shockproof. I will double check..
For the box I can get a Redline MTL oil.

Both redline oils are 18 euro a litre which i thought was actually not too bad?

Ok so next are the amounts...

I guess to be safe Chuck is the man for this one...

How many litres of oil would i need for the motor, box and diff??

Chuck_g
06-10-09, 22:56
Engine is around 4ish litres..........maybe a drop more!! Gearbox and diff i havent a notion as i didnt do em myself!! (Lazy ass yes)

I have mobil 1 here dude if you want a gallon for 50 squids!!

Fredericks Balls
07-10-09, 06:16
I was just thinking as i was driving in, sure wouldnt toyota know exactly the amounts :rolleyes: I will call into Denis Mahony's and find out abotu the box n diff.

Chuck thanks for the offer, are you in Punchestown this weekend? If so when are you comming up? If i can get the service done (need a hand with the box/diff) on Saturday i might just go with the Motul, if not ill deffo give you a shout... Unless your up on Friday evening...

Fredericks Balls
07-10-09, 17:40
Ok i've ordered some Redline Heavy Shockproof for the diff, Redline MTL for the box and Motul 15W 50 for the engine. Give it a go and see!!

Thanks for the info peeps

Greg
07-10-09, 17:45
My JZ takes 5.5 litres of oil, if not 6. I can't remember exactly. I always throw in some of that stuff that looks like honey that prolongs the life of the big ends at every oil change.

The diff oil that is in mine is some Castrol stuff that was recommended to me. Fucked if I can't remember the name of it though.

Not very helpful am I? haha

Frankae86
07-10-09, 17:46
Thats exactly waht i use lad in all my yolks, shockproof redline diff oil (red stuff), MT90 redline gear oil, and silkolene pro S or Pro R depending on 4cly or 6 cyl.

Fredericks Balls
07-10-09, 18:48
Thats exactly waht i use lad in all my yolks, shockproof redline diff oil (red stuff), MT90 redline gear oil, and silkolene pro S or Pro R depending on 4cly or 6 cyl.

When I went to get it there was a guy in the shop getting bits and he turned out to be some big shot mechanic dude who builds evo's n shit. Anyway he knew CDA and a fair bit about redline oils and he recommended MTL rather than MT90 for the box so I went with that. I might switch the next time to see..

Greg I hope mine doesnt need 6 litres! I went to Toyota and they said throw in 3.5 and see from there!
Otherwise helpful to the last thanks haha :p

markII-90
07-10-09, 19:38
My car takes nearly 6litres of oil aswel :confused::confused:
im slightly worried that toyota say it takes 3.5 ??

but on the other hand it hasnt missed a beat so far... :D

Chuck_g
08-10-09, 01:00
That is strange...............Mine defo didnt take near 6 litres!!

wezwkd
08-10-09, 04:04
Anybody who needs some 15w50 Mobil 1 in Punch the weekend givis a shout.

60 Euro per gallon & on the weekend we will do the change for you foc as special offer. Otherwise its in a can for take away.

Wez