PDA

View Full Version : Fitting down pipe - steering column in way

skinnynphats200
09-05-11, 13:42
The 3" downpipe I got wont fit on my rx7. Basically it is just about touching the chassis leg. I had to take off the steering column to get it in place, but it has taken up all the space where the steering column goes. If I wanted to use it I would have to move the rack and relocate the column! FTS!

Any rx7 heads came across this and what is the solution?
Do you have to move the rack and column to fit a downpipe on the FD?
I'm thinking that it is probably just a cheapo part that is not the right shape.........but I really dont know

Will have pics up later

All help and input appreciated

twailbait
09-05-11, 13:52
Alot easier to have the downpipe modded to fit rather than moving the steering components!

B&G Extreme Drifting
09-05-11, 14:00
Alot easier to have the downpipe modded to fit rather than moving the steering components!
this man hit the nail right on the head lad. I know its a new part but modifying your exhaust to suit is far easier than relocating ur steering. I ran into exactly the same prob rb25 the 32, the exhaust was hitting the bulk head, external wastegate and screamerzzz so we jus moved exhaust, chop few inches of whatever direction you need to and weld her back up...job done in hr or2 instaed long process the other way, you wouldnt know what you be getting yourself into

skinnynphats200
09-05-11, 14:07
Yeah I though of this last night and measured it.......too cut the down pipe and weld it back up I would need to cut nearly 2 inches off the bend to allow enough room for the steering column to fit and turn without hitting the exhaust (its only 3" in diameter so it would be super restrictive and would be pointless. I would be just as well running the stock pipe. I will throw the pics up later to show what I mean.

Thought there might be some rx heads on here that have came across this before?

Cheers for the replies

B&G Extreme Drifting
09-05-11, 14:58
Yeah I though of this last night and measured it.......too cut the down pipe and weld it back up I would need to cut nearly 2 inches off the bend to allow enough room for the steering column to fit and turn without hitting the exhaust (its only 3" in diameter so it would be super restrictive and would be pointless. I would be just as well running the stock pipe. I will throw the pics up later to show what I mean.

Thought there might be some rx heads on here that have came across this before?

Cheers for the replies
I'm not with ya on the restricted part man, if an exhaust does not have long run, does that not increase the performance? bang the pics up

podge
11-05-11, 15:16
we tried to fit a down pipe to one before and had the same problem
the down pipe u bought is probably a cheap one and designed for left hand drive cars
we left it off in the end

skinnynphats200
11-05-11, 16:58
Yeah left it off and just returned it in the end