PDA

View Full Version : lambda sensor faulty or not??????????

cazzy
18-09-09, 09:49
Originally Posted by cazzy
LADS THERE I WAS COMING FROM PICKING MY NEWLY ACQUIRED SOARER FROM WATERFORD.CAR STARTED AND I DROVE JUST 5KM BEFORE I REALISE THE HEADLIGHTS WERE GONE,ONLY THE SIDE LIGHTS WERE ON.TURNED OFF THE ENGINE AND COULDNT RESTART THE CAR.JUST BEFORE THAT THERE IS A LIGHT THAT APPEARED ON THE DASH WITH A SIGN OF CATAYLIC CONVETOR I HAVE ATTACHED A SIMILAR PIC OF WHAT COMES I CANT THINK WHETHER THE SIGN OF THE HEAT WAVES IS INSIDE THE BOX/OUTSIDE THE BOX BUT HERE WE GO.
NOW THE CAR STARTS DRIVES FOR LIKE 2-5MIN TOPS AND EVERYTHING GOES DEAD CAR JUST LOOSES POWER FOOT DOWN AND NOTHING AND SWITCHES OFF.WILL YOU HELP OUT HERE LADS AND IF THERE IS SOME1 FROM WATERFORD WILL YOU PM ME IF U WILL BE ABLE TO HELP.CAR IS STUCK AND I NEED TO MOVE IT ASAP.THANX IN ADVANCE

I FORGOT,I RUSHED TO TESCO BOUGHT THE JUMP LEADS COZ I THOUGHT IT WAS A FLAT BATTERY OR THE ALTERNATOR WAS NOT WORKING,WHEN I GOT BACK I KICKED THE CAR AND IT STARTED WITHOUT EVEN JUMP LEADS.SO ITS LIKE IF THE CAR COOLS DOWN A FEW MIN IT STARTS ONCE IT HEATS UP ITS HAYWIRE IN EUROPE.HOW COSTLY IS THIS PROBLEM SHOULD I CONSIDER RETURNING THE CAR????

m-sykes
18-09-09, 23:10
Originally Posted by cazzy
LADS THERE I WAS COMING FROM PICKING MY NEWLY ACQUIRED SOARER FROM WATERFORD.CAR STARTED AND I DROVE JUST 5KM BEFORE I REALISE THE HEADLIGHTS WERE GONE,ONLY THE SIDE LIGHTS WERE ON.TURNED OFF THE ENGINE AND COULDNT RESTART THE CAR.JUST BEFORE THAT THERE IS A LIGHT THAT APPEARED ON THE DASH WITH A SIGN OF CATAYLIC CONVETOR I HAVE ATTACHED A SIMILAR PIC OF WHAT COMES I CANT THINK WHETHER THE SIGN OF THE HEAT WAVES IS INSIDE THE BOX/OUTSIDE THE BOX BUT HERE WE GO.
NOW THE CAR STARTS DRIVES FOR LIKE 2-5MIN TOPS AND EVERYTHING GOES DEAD CAR JUST LOOSES POWER FOOT DOWN AND NOTHING AND SWITCHES OFF.WILL YOU HELP OUT HERE LADS AND IF THERE IS SOME1 FROM WATERFORD WILL YOU PM ME IF U WILL BE ABLE TO HELP.CAR IS STUCK AND I NEED TO MOVE IT ASAP.THANX IN ADVANCE

I FORGOT,I RUSHED TO TESCO BOUGHT THE JUMP LEADS COZ I THOUGHT IT WAS A FLAT BATTERY OR THE ALTERNATOR WAS NOT WORKING,WHEN I GOT BACK I KICKED THE CAR AND IT STARTED WITHOUT EVEN JUMP LEADS.SO ITS LIKE IF THE CAR COOLS DOWN A FEW MIN IT STARTS ONCE IT HEATS UP ITS HAYWIRE IN EUROPE.HOW COSTLY IS THIS PROBLEM SHOULD I CONSIDER RETURNING THE CAR????

iv a feelin your cat is clogged in the exhaust, try disconecting pipe in front of cat.. man

cazzy
18-09-09, 23:23
sykes do i have to jack up the car and disconnect the cat from exhaust or i am totally lost.
will the cat be the thing that joins the exhaust pipe to reduce emmissions and does it have same shape as silencer on exhaust????

m-sykes
18-09-09, 23:27
sykes do i have to jack up the car and disconnect the cat from exhaust or i am totally lost.
will the cat be the thing that joins the exhaust pipe to reduce emmissions and does it have same shape as silencer on exhaust????

yea you will have to jack it up heres a pic its just like a muffler... check to see if any thing is comin out of exhaust first tho to see if its blocked or ya'l be rotten for nothing:)

cazzy
18-09-09, 23:29
ok thats what i was thinking of,so if the gas is going all the way thru to the exhaust end what will this mean and where abouts will the lambda sensor be???
on the cat itself or somewhere by the manifold.

m-sykes
18-09-09, 23:33
ok thats what i was thinking of,so if the gas is going all the way thru to the exhaust end what will this mean and where abouts will the lambda sensor be???
on the cat itself or somewhere by the manifold.

the lamba is just a probe screwed into the exhaust similer to a spark plug shape but with wires comin out of it

cazzy
18-09-09, 23:43
nice 1 sykes,instead of bothering removing the sensor cnt i just fuck it and cut the wires clear off so that they wont be connected since by removing the lambda it will leave a whole

m-sykes
18-09-09, 23:57
nice 1 sykes,instead of bothering removing the sensor cnt i just fuck it and cut the wires clear off so that they wont be connected since by removing the lambda it will leave a whole

not sure man but try it:) hope i helped...my info mighnt help but it'l help ya think

cazzy
19-09-09, 16:23
not sure man but try it:) hope i helped...my info mighnt help but it'l help ya think

sykes man will you give us a bell or text on 0862003594 so i can contact you for more help when i am on ground coz i will be heading off shortly.
cheers mann.

cazzy
20-09-09, 07:21
sykes whats up,was on to the car the whole night just got home.the car seems to have a different story.i checked the lambda sensor and apparently its brand new,the exhaust is near brand new and the under carriage is all in mint condition with the diff area in black BUT what happened is everytime i swapped batteries the car would drive 20km with lights and then it will shut down.same story after every battery change so i am thinking its the alternator dats fecked.i tried running the car and then removing battery to swap and it was dying on me.
this should have narrowed it down.
so cat ok
lambda ok
fuel pump/filter ok
air filter ok
fuses ok here is the other problem i realised.while going thru the fuses i noticed the 120A fuse for alternetor had burned but the guy used pliers or long nose to twist it as in the copper bits where twisted around each other to complete circuit but could it be the problem.i tried to get the fuse but no-where in waterford from tesco to local garages.;)

rancido64
20-09-09, 07:41
If you believe you have a problem with your lambda sensor, you can just disconnect it and then earth it straight to the body somewhere and it'll always read as if there are no issues.
If you still find you have a problem, then either your lambda sensor is completely fcuked or you have a different problem.

cazzy
20-09-09, 07:45
thanx rancid but i think the problem is likely to be the alternetor or the 120A fuse which is twisted coz when i was putting a charged battery the car was running fine and driving upto a range of 20km with full beam lights but i think coz it was only using power and not generating this was draining the battery low and coz it to die.whats ur opinion coz with fully charged battery car is driving spot on.:confused:

rancido64
20-09-09, 08:37
i'm not a mechanic i just know titbits of info that i pick up here and there :p
the fuse would be cheaper and easier to replace so i'd start there, if no improvement, then alternator is the most likely imo
you using an old battery or what?

cazzy
20-09-09, 17:34
there was an old battery but i swapped and put the 1 from my e39 which is near new but you know the battery on soarer's they are meant to be a bit bigger.so the alternator would be the thing thus if a twisted fuse has no effect.