PDA

View Full Version : exhaust cleaning/polishing

lukeworx
09-04-11, 16:23
my exhaust is looking a little tired/old but love the sound
looking to clean it up a bit any ideas,
has few spots of surface rust on the tip nothing major but wanna see my face in it:) running a stock rear bumper on the 14 so you can see the whole
can & its looking dull/old

shines14
09-04-11, 16:28
i must do mine too, i presume different grades of paper followed by metal polish would do it

Sideways Simon....
09-04-11, 16:31
Fine wire wool and some metal polish, great job!

bman rb20
09-04-11, 16:37
halfords do a metal polish, cant think of the name, great stuff though. polished the rear box on my japspeed exhaust friday and its like new, just took the tar off first with a bit of white spirits.

shines14
09-04-11, 16:38
halfords do a metal polish, cant think of the name, great stuff though. polished the rear box on my japspeed exhaust friday and its like new, just took the tar off first with a bit of white spirits.

is it that autosol stuff, 8euro a tube i think?

Sideways Simon....
09-04-11, 16:38

Autosol metal polish

lukeworx
09-04-11, 16:40
Fine wire wool and some metal polish, great job!

i actually tried this with autogleam metal polish, just a small patch it did work well but i was concered months down the line it'll rust worse like i wore through a protective layer or sumn with the wirewool

Sideways Simon....
09-04-11, 16:42
i actually tried this with autogleam metal polish, just a small patch it did work well but i was concered months down the line it'll rust worse like i wore through a protective layer or sumn with the wirewool

Dont use normal wire wool, get the really fine stuff

shines14
09-04-11, 16:43

do you work in the metal polish with the wire wool?

lukeworx
09-04-11, 16:44

so no brillo pads then?:o nah mate i have sum fine stuff so i'll do it right

lukeworx
09-04-11, 16:47
do you work in the metal polish with the wire wool?

i did & buffed it with mutton cloth it does work was just concenred about it re-rusting

shines14
09-04-11, 16:49
i did & buffed it with mutton cloth it does work was just concenred about it re-rusting

sure itl surely rust over time again anyway with all the water and crap on the roads, must do mine next week now

bman rb20
09-04-11, 16:53
my exhaust doesnt have any marks on it as such, was just dirty really and i've it done 3 times since i put it on the car and its as good today as the day i put it on the car to be honest.

suislide
09-04-11, 17:15
use autosol or peek metal polish either product does the job

karl cp9a
10-04-11, 12:12
brillo pads are perfect i always use them....

my new exhaust all cleaned up

http://i53.tinypic.com/fmq3w7.jpg

roryodonnell
10-04-11, 12:20
used autosol myself last week, brilliant stuff. alro cleans up fromt mounts and any metal under the bonnet:)