PDA

View Full Version : Best gripping tyre for front of the 180

Administrator
24-05-09, 12:43
Been doing some research this morning into decent tyres for the front for the 180 on DW and beyond. Just wondering what anyone thinks is best for the job and what you use yourselves? These seem to creep up quite a bit;

Federal 595 R-SRs
Toyo T1R
Hankook RS2s

Opinions please.

Tyre size currently is 215/40 on a 8J rim

jamie180sx
24-05-09, 12:48
what size rim go with toyo u wont regret it

Davie
24-05-09, 12:55
im going eagle f1's up front,fed's on the rear
f1's are good in all conditions and wont wear as quick as toyo's

Administrator
24-05-09, 12:58
what size rim go with toyo u wont regret it

17 inch rim.

s15_spec_r
24-05-09, 13:14
i swear by toyos dar, ya wont go wrong, and wont be too pricey with you running 17's

sorry for the thread hi jack but what tyres would be good on the back for wet and dry conditions but not too expensive! and i dont really want nankangs lol but if i have to i will :(

@ davie what are the feds like?

Nicky
24-05-09, 13:21
Get yourself some cheap 18's, like RX8 alloys or something, and just keep good thread on them. No point buying new tires for the like of Nutt's Corner.

The main problem with the 180 is the very light front end, which means she will keep pushing the nose, thus making you work harder and constantly have to jag the handbrake.

When a 180 or a 200 has been fitted with an RB25, they become so much more driftable, not just because of the extra power, but because of the weight.

Have you much camber dialled in on the fronts? I barely got a chance to look at the track yesterday as i was running round the pits like a headless chicken trying to give everyone else a hand, so missed your track time...

PS - Do all you guys buy new tires for the drifting..? :O

Administrator
24-05-09, 13:28
Get yourself some cheap 18's, like RX8 alloys or something, and just keep good thread on them. No point buying new tires for the like of Nutt's Corner.

The main problem with the 180 is the very light front end, which means she will keep pushing the nose, thus making you work harder and constantly have to jag the handbrake.

When a 180 or a 200 has been fitted with an RB25, they become so much more driftable, not just because of the extra power, but because of the weight.

Have you much camber dialled in on the fronts? I barely got a chance to look at the track yesterday as i was running round the pits like a headless chicken trying to give everyone else a hand, so missed your track time...

PS - Do all you guys buy new tires for the drifting..? :O

Hell no at the new tyres! Also S13s are four stud. I'm going to invest in a set of half decent news for the front as Nutts isn't reeeally hard on the front and I want something a little better to help the understeering issues.

I'd also love an RB25, damn you for saying that Nicky :D

Nicky
24-05-09, 13:38
5 stud conversion lad ;)

Oh, and an RB25 conversion is ?2000 stg from start to finish, which included engine, box, loom, ECU etc etc (apply within for more info)

Anyway, back to the tires... lol

As you seen, theres a fella there that fits tires for us, so i could drop tires up for you next time we're all up..

I'll throw up pics of some thread on the tires i get for ?15 a piece, and 1 set usually last a full day on the front of the 200 at Nutts, then they get put on the rear for the first session (sometimes second) at Bishopscourt, which is usually a few weeks later, or else dispensed on this lovely, quiet country road i live on in the early hours...

keggy
24-05-09, 14:56
i buy new tyres but im gettin them for about ?33 each so not to bad

Stevo
24-05-09, 15:18
Toyo's
Eagle F1's
or dont shoot me Dunlop SP's:p

conorosr20
24-05-09, 15:36
Toyo 888 Proxiesre far the best,but expensive,i see lads having muck cheap ass tyres on the front and then understeering mad and not knowing why they are not qualifing.Ive toyo proxies on my car and ive no understeer whatsoever in the dry and they are not bad in the wet either.

Davie
24-05-09, 18:17
i swear by toyos dar, ya wont go wrong, and wont be too pricey with you running 17's

sorry for the thread hi jack but what tyres would be good on the back for wet and dry conditions but not too expensive! and i dont really want nankangs lol but if i have to i will :(

@ davie what are the feds like?

savage allrounder
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Davie210/pit.jpg

mike g
24-05-09, 22:11
Toyo 888 Proxiesre far the best,but expensive,i see lads having muck cheap ass tyres on the front and then understeering mad and not knowing why they are not qualifing.Ive toyo proxies on my car and ive no understeer whatsoever in the dry and they are not bad in the wet either.

R888 are lethal in the wet!! very bad in wet ask johnny P :p

but once warmed up in the dry poss one of the best but not for road use anyway as we normally have shit wet weather and they rape you mother if they could in the wet

im running toyo T1R's on the front and are deffo the best tyre iv used for road/track anyway.. T1R's also are very good in the wet and compared to some others iv tried on the front they are far superior and no understeer at all!!

toyo FTW:D

Goldstone drift
25-05-09, 00:58
R888 are lethal in the wet!! very bad in wet ask johnny P :p

but once warmed up in the dry poss one of the best but not for road use anyway as we normally have shit wet weather and they rape you mother if they could in the wet

im running toyo T1R's on the front and are deffo the best tyre iv used for road/track anyway.. T1R's also are very good in the wet and compared to some others iv tried on the front they are far superior and no understeer at all!!

toyo FTW:D

Wha he said ha ha ha:D

Administrator
25-05-09, 01:25
T1R's seem to be cropping up a bit. Seem to be good value for money too

Romo
25-05-09, 10:46
you read my mind with this thread dar i was having the exact same problems as you out there :(

no more cheap ass ''Hero's'' on the front for me i think

chrisb
25-05-09, 12:07
have toyo proxies on the front of my 180

need money for r888's but if they are crap in the wet i might be better off sticking to what im on.

btw what is this understeer i here yous taking about??????

Administrator
25-05-09, 12:18

need money for r888's but if they are crap in the wet i might be better off sticking to what im on.

btw what is this understeer i here yous taking about??????

By proxies do you mean the T1Rs?

Understeer/generally fuck all front end traction as I understand it is what was happening with 30psi+ in Nankang tyres on a wet/dry concrete track on Saturday! Stupidity on my part yes but I fancy getting a decent front tyre now that I can actually afford them

chrisb
25-05-09, 12:26
yea must be the new name for them, prob very similar.

lol nankangs are def not the tyre for the front, nice grippy set and you will notice quite a difference, more angle on entrys will get rid of nose pushing too but with nankangs up front you will be doing quite a bit of 4 wheel drifting

Administrator
25-05-09, 12:31
yea must be the new name for them, prob very similar.

lol nankangs are def not the tyre for the front, nice grippy set and you will notice quite a difference, more angle on entrys will get rid of nose pushing too but with nankangs up front you will be doing quite a bit of 4 wheel drifting

:D Go waaaan the Nankangs! They were all I could manage to get my hands on last minute before the last day I was at Nutts and needless to say I haven't had tyre money since so I've had to make do with them.

I'm thinking I might have a go at the T1Rs from Camskill, the price is pretty damn good for the pair.

s15_spec_r
25-05-09, 15:17
yeah camskill is the job or drop mike (motorworx) over on mnc a pm he isnt too far off the price of camskill ill pm u his number if u like!

mike g
25-05-09, 15:32

i speak the truth!! :D:D

and to people who use Nankangs, triangles and the likes on the front you need a good talking to

Administrator
25-05-09, 15:35
i speak the truth!! :D:D

and to people who use Nankangs, triangles and the likes on the front you need a good talking to

Go waaaaaan the Nankangs. OK shall be purchasing some T1Rs after the first wages come

thegosson
25-05-09, 15:45
Go waaaaaan the Nankangs. OK shall be purchasing some T1Rs after the first wages come

did ya get a job darragh????

Administrator
25-05-09, 15:49
did ya get a job darragh????

I think I'm sorted with some work yeah :)

Unless you know of something else local enough man? I'd literally do anything for a few bob. My CV is a good read! :D

s15_spec_r
25-05-09, 16:07

Unless you know of something else local enough man? I'd literally do anything for a few bob. My CV is a good read! :D

shur post it up der and we hav a gook lol im bored as an ass

thegosson
26-05-09, 17:07

just thought since you have a job you could pic up all these bits ie. wheels/ bonnet/ seats/ belts etc... and get them out of my way:)

serious tom
26-05-09, 17:35
im starting to feel privilaged that my dad gave me a job over the winter,
sat in a yard from 9-4 doing literally fuck all, (sitting in a lorry) waiting for customers, and got paid 40 quid a day :eek:
roll on next winter,

Administrator
26-05-09, 17:35
just thought since you have a job you could pic up all these bits ie. wheels/ bonnet/ seats/ belts etc... and get them out of my way:)

Ain't starting until next week. One exam left. Dunno how much of the stuff I want yet either! Bonnet deffo I'd say