PDA

View Full Version : full respray question

copeyhagen
30-03-11, 22:30
how much paint would ya need to fully respray a four door car, would ya need primer, base and clearcoat?

has anyone ever bought house of kolor paint or equivalent and just gotten a sprayer to finish the rest? did ya buy paint off egay?

just lookin to pinch penneys if i go for respray. wouldnt be goin white either.

cheers

pinny
30-03-11, 22:39
depends on the finish/ surface thats on it at the min.
ne dents r marks need filler which needs primer.

otherwise its straight to prep n paint then clear coat.

im not a painter but ill hazard a guess at 3l paint and 1l laquer

Scamper
30-03-11, 22:41
I just resprayed my 180 man and used bout 3 litres, so you would prob need 4 to be safe.
Then ya need to choose water based or solid based paint.
If ya go solid, ya just need primer and paint+thinners and hardeners, no laquer
If ya go waterbased ya need, primer, paint+thinners and hardeners and laquer

Best thing is dont mind all them fancy house of colour paints, you would be surprised how a standard colour off one car can look insane on something else.

Another thing is, if your brave tackle some of the work yourself, like wat i did, saved a bundle, and great feeling when its done.

hunty_sideways
30-03-11, 22:41
Prob best to pm Joey,has used house of kolour before and could get something sorted for ya ;)

mattybyrne2008
30-03-11, 23:29
If you use house of kolor and brake a bumper or a crack you may aswell forget about matching the shades and there is alot more time consuming to spray as its ink and not paint and very very expensive

ian g sr20
30-03-11, 23:37
pm pddan on here very good at his work, and his prices are good also

Aidan Hogan
30-03-11, 23:50
Prob best to pm Joey,has used house of kolour before and could get something sorted for ya ;)

joey banana s14 is his username
class work from this lad :D

Stevo
30-03-11, 23:58
joeybananas14 is his username
class work from this lad :D

X3 for joey ;)

bart
31-03-11, 06:43
X3 for joey ;)

x4............
and wont rip ya off lad;)

johnbro
31-03-11, 09:36
If the car is in good condition bodywise it shouldn't need to be primed just preped, white is a nice base for any colour.
Let your painter choose the paint everyone has their preferences ;)

I would Imagine 3 litres would be more than enough :confused: could be wrong:rolleyes:

copeyhagen
31-03-11, 09:47
cheers for replies lads, reason i said house of kolor was its the only brand i had ever heard of.

i have a full brand new vertex style kit to go on, brand new carbon bonnet, the car needs to go down to gem to be pulled and welded at the back and have the bootlid fixed. could do with getting 2 new front wings before sending it to be painted. im sure there would be a bit of prep involved aswell, i have the color in my mind more or less.

tryin to get it as cheap as possible!! will deffo be in touch with joey.

would the best bet be to buy the paint myself and let him do the work? or just let him do everything?

where would ya go about buying paint, im guessing rip off ireland isnt an option!

cheers lads

bandit
31-03-11, 09:53
best bet is to let who ever is doing the job to buy the paint, when im doing jobs for people they always say i'l buy the paint but most painter's will get a good discount on stuff well i do anyways ha, if you do go about getting the paint yourself vinny byrne (http://www.vinnybyrnestore.com/) is your man, they will mix paint up on the spot for you and match any colour you want and price per liter of paint is i think 75 +VAT over the counter, and at the mo they are doing good deals on clear coat kits @ 80 and primer kits @60 or 70 i think it was

copeyhagen
31-03-11, 10:05
jesus thats cheap for the paint. fook that house of kolor sh1t!!

i see what ya mean about the person doing the work getting a discount though.

cheers

bandit
31-03-11, 10:17
no bother man im pricing up the house of kolor paint for my own yoke at the minute just for the crack :D

owenf
31-03-11, 12:26
team pr reilly in dublin are house of kolor dealers throw up a price of the house of kolor stuff when ya get it . im goin sprayin mine candy apple red

mcdae86
31-03-11, 12:44
all depends what colour your paintin over and if its water base your using.. if theres any filler on it id say just primer it wit a can and wet sand the lot.. if your paintin it white and the car was red obviosly it'd be harder to cover.. if painting over same colour then id say;
waterbase 2.5L (plus lacquer same amount)
2k (acrylic) paint 2L plus 1 litre hardener

johnbro
31-03-11, 13:02
I thought all paint's are water-based nowadays by law
Is solvent based paint still available? (it's handy if you don't have a booth)

best off letting the painter use a product he's use too IMO
when using strange products mistakes happen.

Don't be fooled by marketing and price of paint I've found the cheaper ones to be better in most cases.
the likes of house of kolour and DuPont are only useful for specialty paint like ford's electric orange form the ST for example.

Are you looking for a pearl or candy effect?
or just standard colour?
without giving away too much;)

copeyhagen
31-03-11, 13:07
ok, so the car is white now, and im thinking of this color:
http://www.japanesesportcars.com/galleries/data/media/155/toyota-soarer_3.jpg

or a champagne colour.

bandit
31-03-11, 13:09
team pr reilly in dublin are house of kolor dealers throw up a price of the house of kolor stuff when ya get it . im goin sprayin mine candy apple red

thats who im onto for it i know one of the girls in there

@johnbro: solvent is still widely available and is great for quick out of booth jobs but water base is by far better i think for colour match and finish

meego1
31-03-11, 13:22
HOK paint when priced up seems cheap but its only sold in american quarts which are only small tins and u end up needing more than u thought and thats where it starts to get pricey:(

tweek
31-03-11, 13:41
House of kolor is about 300 euro a litre and if you tip the car you'll have some job getting someone to do the repair to it and get it right plus you will need to know the base colour then how many passes/coats were used then how many costs of laquer it's just a pain

copeyhagen
31-03-11, 14:05
yeh, think HOK is out the window now!!

Scamper
31-03-11, 14:08
I got the Primer, Paint, Thinners and hardeners, 1 Bucket each of filler and fibreglass, All sanding pads etc for 450 euro includin vat, and my paint job is spot on, it doesnt have to be expensive to look mint. Just chose a standard colour of one car that will look insane on yours..like i did:)

copeyhagen
31-03-11, 15:02
you buy it off vinny byrnes scamp?

mind me askin wot color you went for?

johnbro
31-03-11, 15:14
House of kolor is about 300 euro a litre and if you tip the car you'll have some job getting someone to do the repair to it and get it right plus you will need to know the base colour then how many passes/coats were used then how many costs of laquer it's just a pain

same whith that electric orange on the focus ST
It comes in 2 parts basecoat is like matte yellow the like an orange clearcoat
therfore the finish is based on how much paint is used (how many coats)

For a yoke your going to be sliding I'd avoid this stuff like the plague any good painted would have trouble with this, only for gay showcar's:D

A good finish is not based on the paint it's how it's applied and flattened and polished.
a good painter in a dirty old shead would do a better job than a cowboy using expensive paint in a booth.

Scamper
31-03-11, 15:30
I went for the yellow off the MG ZR's man, came out mint, and no farting with trying to get the right shade!

mcdae86
31-03-11, 15:54
@scamper - thats a straight colour though so you got it in acrylic (2pack), big price difference between that and waterbase and is WAY easier to paint as no lacquer needed..

johnbro
31-03-11, 15:58
I went for the yellow off the MG ZR's man, came out mint, and no farting with trying to get the right shade!

:mad::mad: I was planning on using that mg yellow on my 180, lovley colour btw:(
my mind's made up on yellow I'll have to choose another shade tho
No more yellow 180's please folks:D

sorry for OT

copeyhagen
01-04-11, 09:22
ah nice color alright, maybe your right, use a standard color.

focus st blue

copeyhagen
01-04-11, 09:32
or fiesta Bright Magenta

Scamper
01-04-11, 11:38
Couple of colours i was looking at were, nexen purple, desert sage metallic on the lexus's, focus st green, mazda 2 green, and hot majenta of the 09 fiestas

mcdae86
01-04-11, 15:59
the new charcole grey on opels is unreal, only on 2011 cars..

BMCDONAGH
09-04-11, 21:56
Best thing to do is head to paint suppliers/motorfactors and check thru there colour swatch's..some serious colours that are standard manufac ones..
opel carbonschwarz II is on 2010 opels major metallic flakes in it looks unreal in sunlight..I reckon you'd need 3litre.s paint-w.based 65 p/ltr+ lacquer kit(5ltrs lacquer+2.5 hardner+1ltr thinners) good quality kit 110-170..
IMO i'd go dark colour if its drift yoke as its easy blend repairs and match shades.

mcdae86
09-04-11, 22:19
what would ya know about it bren:p

damo1
09-04-11, 22:35
lunar sky is a savage colour on the new ford mondeo