PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Handbrake!!!!ARGH!!

pt_y2k
12-09-09, 22:31
Was trying to get her going today in the sierra,all lined were off ther car to begin with so bled all brakes with the foot pedal,until i had a good pedal,foot brakes are now A1,by using the guides of DW i tried bleeding it but nothing,theres seems to be no air in the system,and my handle is coming all the way back,it attempts to push in the caliper but fails to lock it??Any ideas??Need to get it sorted tomor or we'll be doing the scandanavian flick in watergrasshill on monday!!:D:D:D

Frankae86
12-09-09, 23:15
You have no pressure at all in the handbrake cylinder?

pt_y2k
12-09-09, 23:18
No the handle will pull back fully but i do feel slight pressure in it,and it is squeezing the calipers but not locking them,strangely enough sometimes depending on how you depress the foot pedal or leave it off the handbrake feels like it should,as in 1/2inch or so of movement but would go again!?? Hardly seals in the cylinder is it??

Frankae86
12-09-09, 23:27
I doubt the seals in the cylinder are at fault but anythings possible. It sounds like you have a load of air in the system if you have a slight bit of pressure and not enough to lock the callipers. Did you try bleeding through the handbrake? After i bleed the normal way i give a couple of quick shots out of the handbrake cylinder.

pt_y2k
12-09-09, 23:31
I dunno maybe i do?? i tried bleeding a couple of times out the ctlinder too and there was a good flow and seemed to be no air also??When bleeding at the handbrake do i use the footpedal or the handbrake the pressurise the system??How much movement is in your handle before she locks??

Frankae86
12-09-09, 23:34
If you have a good flow of fluid in the rear callipers when bleeding there should be no problem, maybe your problem is elsewhere. I pressurise the system with the foot and bleed through the handbrake.

SUPER 180
12-09-09, 23:49
This is how i feel about my Hydraulic Handbrake!!! :mad:

thegosson
13-09-09, 06:22
pump brakes with foot as normal then old down and pull the handbrake at the same time and bleed. that should do it. what size cylinder is on your handbrake. .75 or 1/4 inch is the size ya should be using.

pt_y2k
13-09-09, 18:00
its only a .625 as far as i know....i think ive found the problem,il report back later!!:D:D cheers lads!!