PDA

View Full Version : HIgh Octane Fuel.....What do You Use??

Chuck_g
22-05-09, 11:04
Okay Question here for mainly the BIG power cars, what fuel do you use on an un-mapped car??

Need to know asap!!

Thanks

mick
22-05-09, 11:25
Dont think theres anyone actually selling fuel of a higher octane anymore, we used to use 98 octane with a load of octane booster for the rallyx. but the place has stopped selling it now a couple of years ago. I suppose just use some octane booster in some of maxols normal fuel which has 5% bio fuel in it. any i think is very slightly higher octane than normal stuff in it. either that or get it mapped for E85 or something. im not sure but you may even be able to run it on e85 anyway. not sure though.

just remember, higher octane wont make it faster, itl just stop it blowing up. and it has to be designed to run on whatever octane you use.

MarkII
22-05-09, 12:24
there are plenty of places that sell race fuel, just not from a pump at a station. you can get fuel from the airport as far as i know, heard of some people talk about getting it at galway airport, put a post on mnc and there will def be some one who knows where you can get the race fuel from.

s13-ste
22-05-09, 12:39
no no do not post it on MNC, ya know your self chuck, every second post will be E5 is great(it is but bastard to find) and then every booster under the sun will be named and bitched and moaned about.
if you can find E5 chuck its 98ron by far the highest your going to find at the pump

PeterT
22-05-09, 12:56
i wouldnt dare run a yoke like yours unmapped. simple as tbh, is it worth it if its goes pop?

mick
22-05-09, 13:04
race fuel? wudnt bother! thats fucking stooopidly expensive, just get it mapped to something. and, not to be bad to anyone here, but dont take any of our advice as gospel, go and talk to someone that knowa, like trackday performance or give bardy motorsport in the uk a shout, soeone that deals with this shit all the time and knows the different fuels and what they do inside out. bottom line is your gonna have to get it set up for a particular fuel to be safe

Nicky
23-05-09, 02:57
BP Ultimate (super unleaded - 97ron i think) with Castrol Valvemaster in the 200sx's after a recommendation from a few folk.

Going to run the same BP Ultimate with Redex for a few tanks to see if its any different. Shall report my findings :D

Oh, and both motors are running standard maps and not alot of engine work, other than FMIC's, turbo-back exhausts, cold plugs, induction kits etc... No pumps, injectors, bigger turbo's just yet unfortunately...

Chuck_g
23-05-09, 20:06
Lads im just looking for Fuel for 1 day!! Punchestown! Il be getting it mapped straight after!! But cant fit the car in before!!

Darren Mac has 109 Race Fuel 45 litres for 150euro!! Would that be okay for one day?

And after some research ive found out ALL topaz petrol is 99ron(Same tack as e5)

Im very very ill over this as i usually wont go anywhere except Topaz for all my Fuels but closest on the day was Texaco........if i had used Topaz and Proboost i would of saved my Engine!! BOLLOXS

nissan_doctor
23-05-09, 22:45
What fuel was the car mapped for?

Simply not worth risking it, just wait till you have it mapped.

Where did you find that topaz is 99? Not in Southern Ireland its not, uk possibly, as when it was shell v-power, its a higher octane in the uk but standard 95 here. The govenrment tax levy on fuel in Ireland is based on octane rating so if topaz was 99 then it would be vastly more expensive then everywhere else.

Chuck_g
24-05-09, 00:08
What fuel was the car mapped for?

Simply not worth risking it, just wait till you have it mapped.

Where did you find that topaz is 99? Not in Southern Ireland its not, uk possibly, as when it was shell v-power, its a higher octane in the uk but standard 95 here. The govenrment tax levy on fuel in Ireland is based on octane rating so if topaz was 99 then it would be vastly more expensive then everywhere else.

Topaz.ie states that "Petrol is an unleaded fuel with a minimum Octane Rating of 95 and is used in spark ignition engines. Topaz Petrol contains an additive package which maintains the engine in optimum condition. The Specification is IS EN 228"

Specification IS EN 228 Is E5!!! Do some research!!

Topaz has not advertised their E5 but say thay have "clean Fuel"

Have A Read.............http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/automotive/mveg_meetings/subgroup_euro/meeting9/concawe_comments_annex_11.pdf

mick
24-05-09, 00:50
were only trying to help you! dont get upity! as everyine has said it depends what fuel your cars mapped for. but if you reckon you know better, by all means, fire away! and let us know how things go, always good to get some first hand experience!

Chuck_g
24-05-09, 11:46
Gonna get it mapped during the week......thank you all for your very informative replies, im now a little more in the know.............

Mick bite my bag :):)

nissan_doctor
25-05-09, 00:14
Well I'm guessing by your avatar that your the lad who bought bens chaser so I also assuming that he would have given you the rundown on the car including the fact that weston mapped for super unleaded which in the uk is 98/99 octane.
It would be very unwise to have run that car in anger on anything other then the fuel it was mapped for. If topaz is e5 thats great for anyone with a standard ecu'd jap car but for a car with a custom map for uk super, e5 would be no better then 95 petrol as e5 has such differences in burning and temperature characteristics.

But if you know all the answers sure the thread was pointless!:rolleyes:

Chuck_g
25-05-09, 00:42
Never said i knew the answers was just posting what i have learned!! I value your opinion and thank you for posting!! Ive decided to get her mapped to cope with the shite Fuel over here!! Was just looking for an alternative for Punchestown!!

Thank u all for your help!

colm
25-05-09, 00:58
Like a few others have said dont run anything if its not mapped right unless you have to. And then keep off WOT and no boost.

What ever fuel you get it mapped on will make power, higher octane reduces knock which will let you advance the timing more and will help give you more lovely torques.

If your going big power and want to run e85 you will have to spend a fair bit on your fueling set up.

use what ever petrol you can get easiest and get her mapped right, being reliable is the most important thing.