PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about towing ??

silverbullitt
15-02-11, 22:46
Just a question for people who tow their cars to drift events.
What are ye using to pull them and have any of ye fallen afoul of being overweight for
A) your cars limitations
and
B) the max weight of 3500kg for the standard B license

Also bear in mind the law states that on a B license , the max weight of your trailer can only be 750kg

Has anyone gone for a EB license , which allows you to pull a trailer over 750 kg and whats involved ??

1jsoarer
15-02-11, 23:22
yeah i did the eb licence, i think the 750kg is just for an un-braked trailer weight weather you have an eb licence or not.

You haved to do a driving test for the eb licence. it involves a standard driving test using a 4x4 or heavy van pulling a horse box type trailer. the trailer has to be higher and wider the jeep. this is to block out the use of your rear view mirror!!!!

Dave
15-02-11, 23:43
So you can tow a car transporter with brakes with a standard B license?

silverbullitt
15-02-11, 23:47
Cheers for the reply 1jsoarer ,
I wanst aware that the Eb was a separate driving test .

I have a Santa Fe 4wd for when i start towing and dont want to be dreading meeting any checkpoints , so would rather have everything above board...

1jsoarer
15-02-11, 23:54
So you can tow a car transporter with brakes with a standard B license?

No by law your not supposed to, just anything 750kg, what i was trying to say is that even if you have an eb license and are pullin a home made car transporter with out brakes you cant pull anything over 750kgs. (thats gross weight Trailer + load)

guards are clampin down hard on this in dublin city and limerick too

Baz_180
15-02-11, 23:57
yeah i did the eb licence, i think the 750kg is just for an un-braked trailer weight weather you have an eb licence or not.

You haved to do a driving test for the eb licence. it involves a standard driving test using a 4x4 or heavy van pulling a horse box type trailer. the trailer has to be higher and wider the jeep. this is to block out the use of your rear view mirror!!!!

What's involved in the eb licence test? same as normal test but with a horsebox tied onto ya??

NIALL JZX
15-02-11, 23:59
wouldn worry about the licence lad , nobody bothers doin it really.. never get stopped.....

1jsoarer
16-02-11, 00:00
yeah same thing just with a trailer. You still have to reverse around a corner, but theres no three point turn.......oh and you can pick what side you want to reverse around ie left or right corner

Baz_180
16-02-11, 00:03
Not too bad so! Few lads around here getting stopped for it so I must do it soon.

pole drift
16-02-11, 00:03
Reversing around a right hand bend would be best, when i go to my house with the trailer i have to reverse into the left and its a bastard

silverbullitt
16-02-11, 01:25
Did a bit of digging and found this on boards ...
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056115062

Lads

Just to update. Took a lesson on the EB.

The instructor informed me and after reading it on the RSA website, that from 4 April 2011 any person applying for a provisional licence (learner permit) will have to take out 12 compulsory driving lessons (€€€€ !!!) No, the lessons you did for B don't count, EB is separate

Simply, get your prov EB before March if your towing a trailer and save €'s

Chuck_g
16-02-11, 01:39
I have my Provo Eb with a few years, does me fine and gaurds never touch me.

jeff nelson sileighty
16-02-11, 02:55
my dad has an eb licence he said he just applied for it and got it...no test involved but he said twas cause he was driving for so long he wasnt required to do the test??

Boguey001
16-02-11, 08:41
I may be wrong lads but i think if you get the ridget lorry licence it covers the car and trailer licence plus you wud hav a provisional for an artic licence, i think thats how it works would have to check though coz i aint fully sure.

kouki_kid
16-02-11, 09:14
Ive got a syncro transporter and a brian James Club never had any probs with
weights on it. Your B licence is only up to 750kgs after that you need an EB
It does not come with the rigid IE C licence I got mine automatically when I
passed my artic test You get all E's with that Bar the bus. Ive never heard of
anybody getting stuck for licence but a prov licence would probably cover
you no problem!!!

mkeogh
16-02-11, 09:45
wouldn worry about the licence lad , nobody bothers doin it really.. never get stopped.....

Getting stopped by the gardai isnt the problem, its your insurance being void if you have an accident towing a trailer and dont have the prov or full eb licence

Blacklimited
16-02-11, 09:54
What are the Trailer Regulations?
All trailers used in Ireland's public spaces must meet with Irish road safety regulations. They set out rules for trailers' weight, lights, brakes, plating, under-run, side-guards, securing of loads, etc.

There are three main pieces of legislation:

Road Traffic (Construction and Use of Vehicles) Regulations as amended—outlines the maximum weight and dimensions for trailers
Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations as amended—outlines the braking requirements for trailers
Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations as amended—outlines the lighting requirements for trailers
Which trailers have to follow these regulations?
All trailers must follow these regulations, but there are specific rules for the driving licence you must have and the brakes your trailer must have depending on trailer type. Trailers are classified by their weight when they are carrying a load, which is called the Design Gross Vehicle Weight (DGVW) or maximum mass.

Trailer categories:

O1 Trailers = DGVW less than 0.75 tonnes. This includes small car trailers.
O2 Trailers = DGVW between 0.75 and 3.5 tonnes. This includes larger trailers, horseboxes and most caravans.O3 Trailers = DGVW between 3.5 and 10 tonnes.
O4 Trailers = DGVW over 10 tonnes. This includes heavy trailers and articulated or semi-trailers.
Driving Licence requirements
The licence required will depend on what type of towing vehicle you are driving, i.e., whether you are using a car, a truck or a bus.

Towing an O1 or an O2 trailer with a car, 4x4 or a small van
With an ordinary category B licence, a person can

tow a trailer of up to 0.75 tonnes DGVW, with a vehicle with a DGVW of up to 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to eight passengers (apart from the driver). The combination weight cannot exceed 4.25 tonnes.
tow a trailer exceeding 0.75 tonnes DGVW, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the maximum combination weight does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes.With an EB licence, a person can

tow a trailer exceeding 0.75 tonnes DGVW, with a vehicle with a DGVW of up to 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to eight passengers (apart from the driver) provided that the manufacturer’s rated towing capacity for the towing vehicle is not exceeded.

For towing O3 and O4 trailers
The licence required will depend on what type of vehicle is being used and the trailer size.

Brake requirements
For O1 Trailers (DGVW not exceeding 0.75 tonnes)
O1 trailers with a single axle are not obliged to have brakes provided that their DGVW is less than half the DGVW of the towing vehicle.
O1 trailers that have a DGVW greater than half of the DGVW weight of the towing vehicle or that have two or more axles must have brakes fitted.

For O2 Trailers (DGVW between 0.75 & 3.5 tonnes)
All O2 trailers must also have brakes fitted. The braking system must include a parking brake.
If the O2 trailer does not have an automatic breakaway device that activates its brakes should it become detached from the vehicle, then it must be fitted with a secondary coupling consisting of a chain or wire rope.

For O3 & O4 Trailers (DGVW exceeding 3.5 tonnes)
O3 & O4 trailers must be

licenced for use on the public road.
plated and undergo an annual roadworthiness test.
fitted with brakes, a secondary or emergency brake and a parking brake, all of which are checked during the roadworthiness test.

Further details are available in the HGV Test Manual. (Link to HGV Manual)

What you can do to improve safety
Make sure that your vehicle and trailer (and all parts and equipment):

are in good working order and correctly maintained
are used safely and won't harm anyone
are able to carry the load
Make sure that the load you are carrying:

does not affect the stability of the vehicle or the trailer
is securely attached to the vehicle or trailer
It is your responsibility to know the capacity and the limits of your vehicle, tow hitch and trailer and to make sure that you never operate beyond these.

Please consult your owner’s handbook for all the details on your vehicle's towing limits. Many vehicles will have a higher towing capacity/limit for a trailer fitted with brakes and a far lower capacity/limit if towing a trailer without brakes.
As a driver you are legally required to never exceed the manufacturers' design specifications for the car, the tow hitch or the trailer.
Future Trailer Regulations
Starting in 2012, all trailers will be required to comply with European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) and its related approval schemes. ECWVTA will test trailers on brakes, lighting, coupling devices, etc. A trailer must pass these tests before it can enter the European fleet or enter into service on Irish roads.

There are also new national schemes to approve trailers: both those manufactured in low volume in Ireland, and for trailers manufactured or imported individually.

NIALL JZX
16-02-11, 11:24
Getting stopped by the gardai isnt the problem, its your insurance being void if you have an accident towing a trailer and dont have the prov or full eb licence

well i suppose thats your decision wheather to chance it or not..

mkeogh
16-02-11, 13:52
well i suppose thats your decision wheather to chance it or not..

Exactly, but for the sake of two passport photos and €15, the provisional is worth getting

silverbullitt
16-02-11, 22:02
Exactly, but for the sake of two passport photos and €15, the provisional is worth getting

So true , i'll be heading in to get mine in the morning anyway ..
better to be safe than to be sorry

larry kehoe
17-02-11, 00:15
i`m in the recovery business and from the cops mouth its down to what you tow your trailer with....

as in a twin axle trailer with drift car on it being towed with a caddy or the like will be noticed and pulled by them. They don`t want the hasstle of pulling everyone just the "overloaded" type. this is only one guys opinion tho as always there are younger cops that would do there mother if they caught them so best keep it straight and get me to move your car for you...:p

silverbullitt
17-02-11, 01:16
Funnily enough , i'd say the fox hunting crowd never get stopped and they pulling horse boxes up and down the country with an oul Audi 80 ,
its just the easy targets with drift cars on the back who get raped ..

foshea
10-03-11, 17:06
Did a bit of digging and found this on boards ...
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056115062

Compulsory instructor lessons are only for first driving test, ie. cat B starting on 4th april. The EB test is a piece of piss, kinda feels like a waste of time but good to have.

saff 24v
13-03-11, 18:49
ya and any1 that has done there theory test more than 5 yrs has to do it again before applying for the provesionel

also iv been stopped a few times was lucky to get home and i use a mondeo car with home made transporter now i have 4 wheel brakes led lights everything is good but with no eb license they alws ask me for it and i just play dumb say i dont kno wat there on about and also they can never tell me how i go about getten it either but it is getten more and more serious so have to do it asap

s13 drifter
13-03-11, 20:12
ya and any1 that has done there theory test more than 5 yrs has to do it again before applying for the provesionel

Are u serious?well fuck that anyway im going applying for mine in the morning and i did my theory test about 7 years ago

Sir Diffsalot
13-03-11, 21:28

Not true, i got mine last week with out re-doin my theory. I done my origonal theory in 01

babyeater690
13-03-11, 22:25
ive a provisional eb can i drive on the motorway or what am i restricted to any info thanks

s13 drifter
14-03-11, 12:55
Just got mine there today.didn't have to do any theory test jus 2 passport photos and 15 euro.have to wait 6 months to apply for the full one

babyeater690
17-03-11, 21:41
bump anyone know the regs on driving with a prov EB licence

s13 drifter
18-03-11, 10:37
bump anyone know the regs on driving with a prov EB licence

The woman in the tax office just told me I need to have somebody with me that has a full EB for over 3 years and also that i have to wait six months to apply for my full EB licence.

POC
18-03-11, 12:33
Do they give you a new license or just update your original pink one? Need to get a new license anyway so could get this at same time!

s13 drifter
18-03-11, 14:21
Do they give you a new license or just update your original pink one? Need to get a new license anyway so could get this at same time!

youll have two licences until you pass your full EB test, a provisional for your EB and your full B

ken red 180
18-03-11, 16:45
can you not do a theory test for a provisional licence and have that for a yr before you sit your driving test.....or is this only bullshit....cause I've heard this a lot but no one seems to know for defo....and i don't want to call into the cop shop to find out....

pole drift
18-03-11, 16:53
can you not do a theory test for a provisional licence and have that for a yr before you sit your driving test.....or is this only bullshit....cause I've heard this a lot but no one seems to know for defo....and i don't want to call into the cop shop to find out....

Depends when you done your theory test, I didn't have to sit a theory test to get my trailer licence cos I done mine in 2004 AFAIK

ken red 180
18-03-11, 17:39
thats it i may get off my arse and apply for it on monday,,,,cheers