PDA

View Full Version : Paint Q?

Jimmy
27-01-11, 16:09
Whats the story lads, i got one of the lads to spray the wings an bumpers for my car.
There grand just a little dull an i was wondering if i get them buffed will it brighten them at all?

lukeworx
27-01-11, 18:18
fine wet sand & polish/buff should work go easy if paint is fresh or u'll burn through to primer if you used any:)

Jimmy
27-01-11, 18:44
fine wet sand & polish/buff should work go easy if paint is fresh or u'll burn through to primer if you used any:)

Sound man :)

MarkII
27-01-11, 19:02
give more info lad, what type of paint was used, was it painted over the cold spell of the winter? if it was painted over the cold spell then the paint went dull from the artic temps, never paint in cold weather unless you have an oven to do so.

Jimmy
28-01-11, 16:49
give more info lad, what type of paint was used, was it painted over the cold spell of the winter? if it was painted over the cold spell then the paint went dull from the artic temps, never paint in cold weather unless you have an oven to do so.

2k paint was used, was primered 1st with a white primer.
It was painted in the cold weather but we had a few heaters so it was warm enough where we were sprayin.

MarkII
28-01-11, 17:08
right, theres a very good chance it didn't keep its shine cause of the cold, with 2k you can flattin and polish(power polish)
use1500-2000 wet and dry to flattin it and polish with G3 and it might come back up to decent sheen, thats a big might!
the other thing when using 2k is on the final coat your meant to add extra thinners to bring out a good shine.

hope this helps ya lad

paddy 180
29-01-11, 21:58
Its possible the laquer was put on too dry..too far away from the panel with the gun, moving too fast with the gun etc. If this is the case the only way your goin to fix it is repaint it, no amount of flattening and buffing will do.

MarkII
30-01-11, 12:41
he said it was painted in 2k lad no lacquer involved.
if it won't shine scuff it and an other finish coat should shine it up nicely.
if it didn't shine after more paint the paint is not good and you'd need fresh paint.
there's one other thing , once i came across some 2k in orange and yellow and the stuff wouldn't shine at all no matter what (something not right in the paint) a clear coat of lacquer will sort it (was a full respray) in your case it might not match the rest of the car.

k1984w
30-01-11, 13:56
It will polish up wet sand it 1500 then go over it with 2000 you ll need a buffer set it around 2500 that g3 stuff isn't great IMO better with 3m compound used a hard pad and a hard compound then go over it with a soft pad and a finish compound and you ll get a really nice shine .

The cold has nothing to do with the lack of a shine by the way it was probably just put on to dry

paddy 180
30-01-11, 13:58
he said it was painted in 2k lad no lacquer involved.
if it won't shine scuff it and an other finish coat should shine it up nicely.
if it didn't shine after more paint the paint is not good and you'd need fresh paint.
there's one other thing , once i came across some 2k in orange and yellow and the stuff wouldn't shine at all no matter what (something not right in the paint) a clear coat of lacquer will sort it (was a full respray) in your case it might not match the rest of the car.

Didnt read it properly, my bad:)

MarkII
30-01-11, 14:09
The cold has nothing to do with the lack of a shine by the way it was probably just put on to dry

at -10 to -16 with out right heat it would fade, i'v been painting 12 year lad. by adding the thinners to last coat it reduces that dry coat effect and gives a nice wet looking shine.
every paint will f up if used below a certain temp. dampness infects the top layer resulting in dull finish.

Jimmy
30-01-11, 14:11
Cheers lads for that, il get them sorted this week, an when its back on the road il get a few pics up :cool:

dR Dan
30-01-11, 14:17
Iv painted plenty yokes recently without a boot just a little space heater and cold wasnt an issue... He may have already flatted and polished it but jst didn bring it back up enuf?