PDA

View Full Version : My RB30DET.....

RB30DET
04-01-11, 11:22
Hi all,

Simon here from down under (Sydney Australia). Just dropping in to say hello to all and checking out the standards of builds up your way.

Anyways, I'll tell you guys about my project, it's been on going for the last 5 years.... I have a 1997 R33 GTS25T Skyline with the following done to it:

* Aust-spec Nissan RB30 block out of a 1988 R31 Skyline running to total of 3.1 litres (Sleeved and o-ringed)
* CP forged pistons
* HKS rods
* Extrude-honed (ported) RB25 twin cam head (o-ringed)
* HKS RB26-spec valve springs
* HKS over sized valves
* Solid lifter conversion
* HKS cams
* HKS cam gears
* HKS 1.5mm metal head gasket
* 6-boost custom steam pipe turbo manifold (high mount)
* Turbosmart 45mm external wastegate
* Garrett GT35R ball bearing turbocharger (1.06 rear)
* Full custom 3.5 inch exhaust including dump pipe
* Plazaman inlet plenum
* Plazaman 90mm throttlebody
* Turbosmart BOV
* Sard 1000cc injectors
* Sard fuel pressure regulator
* Custom fuel rail (twin feed)
* Custom surge tank (under car)
* Bosch 044 external pumps (2 x)
* Warbro intank 255 lt/hr pump
* Haltech Sport2000 ECU
* Autometer Volts, Oil Pres, Oil temp, Water temp, Wideband A/F & Boost gauges
* Greddy turbo timer
* Greddy boost controller
* Custom front mount intercooler (110mm)
* Custom fmic piping
* Custom fmic water sprayer (water tank in boot)

These are the main modifications I can think of which gives me a total of 437 kw at the rear wheels running E85 fuel (85% Ethanol 15% unleaded).....

I remember the first time I took her to the dyno to be tuned, the car was only set at 14 psi and she tried to pull itself off the rollers ! We had to add additional straps to really hold her down.

I will add photos soon.

Diesel-Dick
04-01-11, 11:25
good intro:p get pics up! :) nd welcome along

Kane-Driftcommunity
04-01-11, 12:34
that sounds like a crazy build, cant wait for pics :D

mick-skyline
04-01-11, 12:36
deffo wana see pics of that, and of the 31 ya destroyed for the lump... would love one of those,

skinnynphats200
04-01-11, 12:36
Welcome to DI :) Sounds like an amazing build, cant wait to see the pics...get them up quick :D

shines14
04-01-11, 12:47
welcome to di, nice intro, looking forward to seeing pics now!

Fredericks Balls
04-01-11, 13:10
Welcome Simon, sounds like a savage project!

Where abouts in Sydney? When I lived there a friend of mine used to be great friends with a guy called Matt Gilmore, he used to run Magic Performance near Warringah, always wondered what he is doing now, he had some cool cars!

jake4
04-01-11, 13:33
welcome to di sounds like a serious build get some pics up

Stevie e39 drift
04-01-11, 13:35
yes ^^ welcome along dude , but di is greatly known for requesting pics , no pics or its not real :p:p:p:p

bnollie
04-01-11, 13:39
Gday.Welcome to DI.:D

Prodrifter86
04-01-11, 13:41
FLAMING MONGRALS!!!!!!!!!!! haha nly kidding dude. Welcome. and get pictures..:p

dannyps13
04-01-11, 16:41
cant wait to see pics,,sounds like one awesome engine:)

MarkoC
04-01-11, 17:09
594 hp from the wheels, not bad :) On some Irish dynorolls it will be around 670 hp and 800 from the flywheel :p

rburns07
04-01-11, 17:33
welcome along get pics up!!

jake4
04-01-11, 17:42
594 hp from the wheels, not bad :) On some Irish dynorolls it will be around 670 hp and 800 from the flywheel :p

same with them decibel meters:p

MarkoC
04-01-11, 17:45
same with them decibel meters:p

DB meters are very popular in OZ, so leave them outa here :)

RB30DET
10-01-11, 01:56
Thanks guys. I'll get some pics up during the week, the girl's sitting at the work shop at the moment getting the roof repainted. Nissan must have had a bad patch of paint or something. The cracked finish has always bugged me so I thought I'd get it sorted during my vacation.
Mick-Skyline; speaking of R31 Skylines, a bit of Nis-fact for you, the Oz-spec RB30 engine appeared in not only the local R31 Skyline, but it also came out in the Holden (GM) VL Commodore. Back in 1986 when they got rid of leaded petrol, Holden couldn't develop their 6-cylinder engine to run properly on unleaded fuel, so they contracted Nissan for their RB30, but part of the agreement was that Nissan did not release a turbocharged version. That is why there was not a turbo version of the R31 Skyline but a turbocharged VL Commodore was available. However, that didn't stop kids from pulling up their sleeves and building their own. A good mate of mine Chris has a R31 sedan running a RB30 that's putting out just as much power as my car and it's still got the single cam head ! The only problem is traction and it tends to jump across three lanes of traffic if you put your right foot down a bit.....in 5th gear doing 110km/hr on the motorway !
The RB30 is very popular in the Aussie drift scene as it's a handy bit of gear as most of the later model RB accessories such as water, oil pumps and clutches can be bolted up to them without modifications. I've seen them powering anything from Skylines to Silvias as well as Stageas and even non-Nissan cars. When mated to a twin cam head from a RB25/26 (torque and earlier turbo spooling time of the 3 litre block and the extra flow of the twin cam head - best of both worlds), in excess of 1000hp at the wheels is possible.
Anyways, the reason why the RB30 is so popular here is because it's got huge torque and torque means quicker spooling time which means less time between gear changes, hence good response.... perfect for drifting.

200sx-slider
10-01-11, 02:03
welcom along lad and happy posting