PDA

View Full Version : Towing car transporters

Daly
27-10-10, 23:46
Well lads had a big discussion tonight with some of the lads about this we're all very confused,

So i presume alot of ye tow your cars on twin axle transporters, by law are you required to drive a 4wd while its in tow? and what is the story with having a license to now tow car transporters? any trailer over 750kg you need a special license i heard? is it a test you take in driving or theory for this? Thanks for any replies fierce confused :confused:

Dunnedriftin
27-10-10, 23:50
Well lads had a big discussion tonight with some of the lads about this we're all very confused,

So i presume alot of ye tow your cars on twin axle transporters, by law are you required to drive a 4wd while its in tow? and what is the story with having a license to now tow car transporters? any trailer over 750kg you need a special license i heard? is it a test you take in driving or theory for this? Thanks for any replies fierce confused :confused:

If you want to go by the book.

You must tow any trailer with more than 1 axel that exceeds 750kgs with a 4wd vechicle. Any load that exceeds 750kg's must have a twin axel.

If you have a full B license, pop into your local tax office fill out a provisional license form & tick the EB box & there you get a provisional EB license for towing a twin / tri axel trailer.

Then when you want to sit your test after 6 months of holding it, you must do it with a minimum of a twin axel trailer & a 4wd jeep which also must meet a certain amount of requirments pending on the year of it...

I forgot half the crap i was told after the provisional eb bit :o

pole drift
27-10-10, 23:54
you need to have a 4x4 or a car thats longer than 4.2 meters, you need to have a EB licence and when your doin your test the trailer needs to have certain specs (cant use a flatbed, the likes of a horse box is needed) and you also need to be able to reverse around a bend, however you can decide yourself if you want to do a left or right hand bend.

Daly
27-10-10, 23:54
I forgot half the crap i was told after the provisional eb bit :o

Thanks for reply, i think ill be doing the very same!

Daly
27-10-10, 23:56
you need to have a 4x4 or a car thats longer than 4.2 meters, you need to have a EB licence and when your doin your test the trailer needs to have certain specs (cant use a flatbed, the likes of a horse box is needed) and you also need to be able to reverse around a bend, however you can decide yourself if you want to do a left or right hand bend.

I take it a van wouldnt be any use so unless longer than 4.2 metres? I must call into council offices tomorrow

Dunnedriftin
28-10-10, 00:00
I take it a van wouldnt be any use so unless longer than 4.2 metres? I must call into council offices tomorrow

Well a van is able to tow it according to the chassi plate (rwd 2 tonne transit) I tow my skyine with a transit no bother but it says you must use a 4wd vechicle for your test. bit of a gray area if you ask me.......

But if the 4.2 metres thing is 100% correct well then a van should be legal to tow as a transit mwb is about 16 feet long which is 5 metres atleast

gem-s13
28-10-10, 00:00
you need to use a 4x4 by law yes, and in order to get ur EB learner permit you need to have a full B and have to sit a theroy test first, personally i dont see the point in doing a theroy test just to get trailer licence to be able to tow 1750kg if you do a theroy test for a C (truck licence) and get ur C learner permit you are covered to tow a trailer up to 3500kg and have a truck licence!! it will cost a lil bit more(need to get a medicl) but would be alot more usefull in the long run

Dunnedriftin
28-10-10, 00:02
you need to use a 4x4 by law yes, and in order to get ur EB learner permit you need to have a full B and have to sit a theroy test first, personally i dont see the point in doing a theroy test just to get trailer licence to be able to tow 1750kg if you do a theroy test for a C (truck licence) and get ur C learner permit you are covered to tow a trailer up to 3500kg and have a truck licence!! it will cost a lil bit more(need to get a medicl) but would be alot more usefull in the long run

Dont need to do a theroy test to obtain a provisional Eb license...

gem-s13
28-10-10, 00:04
Dont need to do a theroy test to obtain a provisional Eb license...

since they changed it to a learner permit you do lad my oul one works in the tax office and im sick of ringing her asking her these questions for people

Dunnedriftin
28-10-10, 00:07
since they changed it to a learner permit you do lad my oul one works in the tax office and im sick of ringing her asking her these questions for people

I only got mine 3 months ago & i got given it without sitting no theroy test or nothing... had a full b license and that was it :cool:

maby somebody made a cock up & gave it to me by mistake :o

pole drift
28-10-10, 00:10

they must only of changed it cos i have the prov licence for the EB a few weeks, but i think i do remember she mentioned something about the date that i done my theory test.

And the whole 4.2 minimum length thing, my vectra is 4.4 metres in length.

I would prefer to get the C licence tho, if i pass the test it'll cover C and EB.

gem-s13
28-10-10, 00:11
id say it was a cock up i presume you got it up in dubland someware that they have never seen a trailer?? it was the same thing when the commercil tax was suposed to be inforced they had to turn people away in the tax office cos they didnt have the correct paper work to tax vans and shit then people atared ringing up saying they got there vans taxed in dublin bla bla bla and then the tax officec in dublin got in the shit and all the people who got there stuff taxed are in the shit now because ther tax discs have been recalled

Dunnedriftin
28-10-10, 00:13
id say it was a cock up i presume you got it up in dubland someware that they have never seen a trailer?? it was the same thing when the commercil tax was suposed to be inforced they had to turn people away in the tax office cos they didnt have the correct paper work to tax vans and shit then people atared ringing up saying they got there vans taxed in dublin bla bla bla and then the tax officec in dublin got in the shit and all the people who got there stuff taxed are in the shit now because ther tax discs have been recalled

More than lightly, there not the most helpful in the tax office i go to...

How do i get around taxing my van now since im unemployed :p Please do tell.....

gem-s13
28-10-10, 00:18
More than lightly, there not the most helpful in the tax office i go to...

How do i get around taxing my van now since im unemployed :p Please do tell.....

haha its a simple one you cant!!! unless you tax it by the cc!!! pain in the balls! if you no some one witha vat number trancfer it into there name get tehm to tax it and then back to ur name only way around the big tax!!

Dunnedriftin
28-10-10, 00:19
haha its a simple one you cant!!! unless you tax it by the cc!!! pain in the balls! if you no some one witha vat number trancfer it into there name get tehm to tax it and then back to ur name only way around the big tax!!

Dads company.. Il worry about in in december :o

Larryk
28-10-10, 08:49
Its amazing even looking out the window here onto the main New Ross - Waterford road - every 5th vehicle is a van towing a trailer - wonder how many people are actually fully legal to tow the trailers behind them.......

I know i'm not - i always knew I needed the EB but the last time i went in i got awful hassle from the local tax office trying to get it sorted - one person said i needed to do the theory test, others said i didn't, even the costs varied from one person to another

I just gave up

s15_spec_r
28-10-10, 09:54
i onli got my eb license 6 months ago and i didnt hav to do a theory test the one i done 3yrs ago covered it.

scrappy
28-10-10, 12:34

I only got my learner permit 5 months ago, if you have done a theory test in the last 5 years it still covers you, if its been longer than that you must redo it for the eb licence

saff 24v
02-11-10, 20:18
the thing here lads is if you done your theory test more than 5 yrs ago you have to sit the b license theory test again to get your eb learner permit after that you can sit your test when ever. last time i was in mondello traffic corps pulled me in and my cousin. i was driving a mondeo with car transporter with saff on it and a 200l compressor strapped to the front. my cousin had an x5 jeep with transporter and silvia.. gard told me i needed trailer license but wasn to pushed cause trailers were in such good shape ie lights brakes so on, but the cousin they told him with the jeep and give or take the weight of it he didnt really need a license. iv been pulled a few times never were to pusy but still be safer to have it. ya kno somthing out of all the people that pull trailers ie farmers, drifters, builders, plumbers, etc etc id say about 5% of us have eb licenses so i wouldn be too worried just yet as far as im concered if trailer is good lights an so on and car/jeep/van is taxed/tested/insured and ya have full license they cant say much also have your insurance company told you pull trailers with the insured car or wat ever.

MarkoC
02-11-10, 20:41
If you want to go by the book.

You must tow any trailer with more than 1 axel that exceeds 750kgs with a 4wd vechicle. Any load that exceeds 750kg's must have a twin axel.

What a lots of BOLLOX !

Show us the book and i mean the LAW not the book wheres suggested terms for driving test for the BE license.

You DONT need 4x4 and the twin axle story is also a myth in this country !

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/driving-licence.html

Before you jump on me now find me the LAW not fairytales to confuse people here.

Also another quote i found:

To legally tow a trailer the driver must have the correct licence to cover what is being towed but the towing weights must also be within prescribed limits as set out by the tow vehicle manufacturer.
A class B licence will not cover any trailer with a design GVW over 750kg. So if the trailers loaded weight is over 750kg its not covered.
A class EB licence covers trailers with GVW up to 3500kg.
For either a B or EB licence to be valid the tow vehicle must be rated to cover the towed weight.
Neither licence is governed by number of axles or brakes, however the allowed weight a vehicle can tow is governed by the trailer being braked or not.
Four wheel drive has absolutely nothing to do with towing weights. Many vans that are two wheel drive are rated to tow 3500kg braked.

Cheers

retro head
02-11-10, 21:04
What a lots of BOLLOX !

Show us the book and i mean the LAW not the book wheres suggested terms for driving test for the BE license.

You DONT need 4x4 and the twin axle story is also a myth in this country !

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/driving-licence.html

Before you jump on me now find me the LAW not fairytales to confuse people here.

Also another quote i found:

Cheers

your dead right man its all about gross vehicle train weight,that 4x4 bullshit is a myth,that would mean all the sprinter and transit cab transporters that recovery men use are all illegal to carry vehicles on because theyre not 4x4,not to mention all the builders in the country towing machinery on plant trailers

none of this really bothers cos all i know is my 90 330 transit is more than capable and legal to tow my stripped out cam on a brian james, even with no trailer brakes