PDA

View Full Version : volvo 940 estate any good to drift??

johnbro
24-08-10, 23:20
A friend of mine has a 940 estate for sale for about 2 years now its a 2.3 lpt(low pressure turbo)
the engines in these are bulletproof so im told.
The car is pretty much a minter bodywork is pristine and has low miles but its not selling for him and he is sick of the sight if it, so im sure i could buy it very cheap at this stage

Would it be any good for learning the ropes on the cheap just strip it bare and weld her up.
Can ya boost it up the turbo or change it?? or get it chipped? cheap performance mods??
I have seen a few drifting on youtube but nothing too amazing

Anyone have any experience with Volvo or estate cars
Am i just wasting money on this massive ugly car??

Robbie Daly Ps13
24-08-10, 23:24
These engines are bulletproof and are able for big boost as far as i know......!

alan opel
25-08-10, 07:31
we have one stuck in the field, is it manual? decent enough power on them but an awfull heavy bus, and wobbly as fuck! they use a t25 turbo, so a t28 can be made fit, housing needs rotating and the exhaust flange is a bit different, theyll make good power alright, really need a remap to do it tho, as stock ecu won let ya boost much over standard, theres a few place doin chips for them aswell. lpt an hpt modesl use the same engines, just different turbos and boost solenoids, so you could just change ur lpt solenoid for a hpt one an get a bit more boost! to be honest thoi there a terrible lookin yoke and are abit too big. were goin takin the engine outa that one and just scrapping it, be a cool engine to put in a volvo 340!

gofaster_s13
25-08-10, 07:53
Wont stick a welded diff, I broke 3 axles in 2 months in one

PeterT
25-08-10, 08:19
i was seriously looking into these. they are bulletproof! loads of mods you can do, check out turbobricks.com

fmic, chip and boost up and you can see over 250bhp.

do it cheaply and wire the actuator shut for unlimited boosts:D :D

johnbro
25-08-10, 13:18
Hmmm!! Interesting ideas, so the engine is great and can be boosted up cheaply enough. Yet these engines are in every scrapyard there's absolutely no demand for them cause they just don't give trouble.

How difficult would it be to get one in a 340 with a hpt, now that would be cool :D who would do it cheap as a nixer ? cost??

I love the idea of reliable power.
Would you have to do any internal engine mods to handle a t28
how about a big truck turbo???
Lag issues??

Sorry about all the questions I'm new to all this.
S13s are 10 a penny this kind of project would turn heads
Ya know to get the attention of the crowd:confused::confused::confused:

johnbro
25-08-10, 13:22
Wont stick a welded diff, I broke 3 axles in 2 months in one

Ya broke 3 axles wow!

Did ya come up with a solution or scrap it??

It wouldn't be worth spending money on a 2way for tramp

PeterT
25-08-10, 13:38
its the axles that brake, not the diffs. Have a look on turbobricks man, people in Ire are too sheepish to try anything new and dont know much about them!

johnbro
25-08-10, 15:16
its the axles that brake, not the diffs. Have a look on turbobricks man, people in Ire are too sheepish to try anything new and dont know much about them!

I know what ya mean, I like the idea of something different
Ill check out turbobricks

gofaster_s13
25-08-10, 16:13

Its the half shafts and the diffs that break, one of mine actually stripped the crown wheel, theres a lot of rubbish talked about them, that they're bulletproof etc, people say the same thing about SR engines, no engine is bulletproof if drifting sitting on the limiter all the time, the main drawback with the Volvos is that there's nearly no aftermarket parts available for them and what you can get is $$$$$$, nobody enen makes coilovers for them:(